661 Oil Test 32:1 vs 40:1 vs 50:1 ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Still waiting for these "far more scientific tests" or "previous peer reviewed research" can't seem to find them on any oil thread ever started on this site. I mean if they existed then how come there are so many oil threads? I mean anytime someone brought up the oil mix question the masses of this site would just post a link directly to these tests or peer reviewed research and the thread would be like 2-3 posts long!

Please enlighten us.
purchase a membership to the SAE and read till your hearts content..

Simply not true! I have never seen anyone start up a saw at the pump station, then you might be correct but also highly probably arrested also. All others refuel their gas jug, dump in the oil and throw the mix container into the car and drive to where ever they are cutting their wood. During that drive there are enough movements inside the jug to ensure proper mixing! And what should hinder a mineral oil product from mixing with another mineral/full synthetic oil product?!

As usual these oil threads are quite annoying with all the "beliefs" proclaimed!

It all works, but I put the oil in first and let the churning of the gas being pumped in under pressure do the mixing. I don't think I suggested running a saw at the pump station either. Where did you get that from? :dizzy:

Ian

"What about additives ? I think the manufacturers match the additive packages to the metallurgy of the metals in their engines. I once went to a Lawnboy lawnmower school where they bragged that the Lawnboy oil had almost no ash in it. They said this was really good for their engines. Another mechanic at the school said he had been to a Sachs chainsaw school and they told him there that the Sach engine needed ash. Their oil had lots of ash. Seems to me he said at least 2-3 % of ash, yet Lawnboy likes almost nothing... Why ? What about the other additives in the package ?"

Lawn boy oil is a ashless oil and is nearly identical to a tcw3 outboard oil. These us because a mower is ran at nearly constant high rpm and for long periods of time. When a motor is ran like this ash build up can foul plugs and cause pre ignition. Ash BTW refers to the sulfate ash test where by a sample is reacted with sulfuric acid and the metalic residue is measured. The disperses and detergents in an ashless oil are typically nitrogen based and do not contain mettalics.
Chainsaws like a Sachs are of course run at variable throttle settings and are not at full throttle for hours on end. As a result calcium based dispersal ts and zinc phosphate antiwar additives are appropriate given they work better in the variable load, yet high heat scenarios.

first link is a mag article that is almost 40yrs old. jug designs changed since then

2nd - article ...some dude's opinion. no tests shown.

3rd - web article ...some dude's opinion. no tests shown.

opinions! show me tests!!!! tests with a engine of similar size, that runs like a chainsaw ie. stop and short bursts of full throttle etc, that runs at compression of a chainsaw and rpm's of a chainsaw!
Those old jugs are were more advanced than a state of the art chainsaw... Chainsaws aren't exactly on the cutting edge.

For those of you that are totally pitching out the results due to testing variables, I challenge you to look back at his previous tests. The results are always consistent. Test after test, month after month. As to why these results don't agree with older tests, I don't know. I for one am anxious to see the results from the 660. Regardless, I will not run 50:1 in my ported saws. I run it for the protection, period. During testing with a ported 346 with 50:1, I nearly burnt it up. I caught it just as it started to scuff. Similar testing has never been an issue with 32:1. Add in reports from the likes of JJ of how more oil helps prevent crank failure, particularly in Huskies, and I simply won't take the chance with less oil.

well I'm going to try 32:1 vs 50:1 in the 660. if someone wants to come watch, help, make sure it's done properly, pm me.

if the 660 runs hotter and slower with 32:1 and runs faster and cooler with 50:1 ...then that is good enough for me. Theories are just that. Real world is real world.
Please tell me you at least got enough brains to re-tune the damn thing before you run the 32:1..

And for those of you that feel you need to attack the OP, just because you don't agree with or like his results....:buttkick:
Brad you of all people show know that not agreeing with other results and having your own opinion leads to a pissing match.

Back