661 Oil Test 32:1 vs 40:1 vs 50:1 ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
View attachment 419842Found this about 15 years ago, never needed to try anything else:clap:
8oz. Per gallon and let er rip tater chip. No bugs and no one wants to be around you:laughing:
That Lawnboy oil is some smokey stuff. Still remember cutting grass in a haze of blue smoke. I use penzoil syn outboard oil in my newer Lawnboy at 32:1 with good results and no smoke once warmed up.

was out with the 660. 660 seems more receptive to 32:1 H1R. Less receptive to 50:1. ...just didn't feel good at 50:1. I've gotta find some better wood to test on. This cotton wood is huge but it's junk...and well the 660 doesn't have the balls to pull the 36" 404 full comp like the 661 does.

Might be the quad jug 361 (361 is quad right?) 661 not liking the 32:1 and the old school 660 does? If I can find some decent wood I'll try 32 vs 40 vs 45. Just don't see 50 as worth the time on the 660 after using it at 40 and 32:1 earlier today.

was out with the 660. 660 seems more receptive to 32:1 H1R. Less receptive to 50:1. ...just didn't feel good at 50:1. I've gotta find some better wood to test on. This cotton wood is huge but it's junk...and well the 660 doesn't have the balls to pull the 36" 404 full comp like the 661 does.

Might be the quad jug 361 (361 is quad right?) 661 not liking the 32:1 and the old school 660 does? If I can find some decent wood I'll try 32 vs 40 vs 45. Just don't see 50 as worth the time on the 660 after using it at 40 and 32:1 earlier today.
I'd like to see the test run with another brand of oil.. I'll provide the oil.

I was just playin'. You guys are so serious about this. If I had the time you guys have to dink around with this stuff I'd be a happy man.
My old ass two stroke lawn boy mower still runs and I just put whatever I've got in the tank. It's great for brushin' and bug foggin'.

Plus that lawn boy oil leaves your skin nice and smooth, it's ashless:rolleyes:

KL200 is still my saw oil of choice. Cheap enough and clean. Nary a problem for many years.

well good news is I got the 660 done. Bad news is I'm outta good size logs so the 661 redo is going to have to wait.

32:1 in the 660 did not cause the drastic change from 40:1 to 32:1 in the tune like the 361. Saw seemed fine. 50:1 tried earlier felt to lean I guess. So I didn't do it.

40:1 seems to be the sweet spot for the 660 ...at least mine...a stock with dp muff mod.

I would mention that the guy from Belray said I'd probably settle on 42:1. Where he gets 42? I dunno but I'd say he's basically dead on for both saws. 660 liked 40, 361 liked 45. Maybe the quad has something to do with the 45 and the old school 660 liking the 40?

2agnuxi.jpg

here's the 361 data again

2hi2zyf.jpg

well good news is I got the 660 done. Bad news is I'm outta good size logs so the 661 redo is going to have to wait.

32:1 in the 660 did not cause the drastic change from 40:1 to 32:1 in the tune like the 361. Saw seemed fine. 50:1 tried earlier felt to lean I guess. So I didn't do it.

40:1 seems to be the sweet spot for the 660 ...at least mine...a stock with dp muff mod.

I would mention that the guy from Belray said I'd probably settle on 42:1. Where he gets 42? I dunno but I'd say he's basically dead on for both saws. 660 liked 40, 361 liked 45. Maybe the quad has something to do with the 45 and the old school 660 liking the 40?

2agnuxi.jpg

here's the 361 data again

2hi2zyf.jpg
Maybe because 42:1 is an easy mix.....3oz per gallon?? But i doubt it

I talked to a super knowledgeable Stihl dealer/owner/mechanic today. I've known him since my Dad bought his saws new from him in the mid 90s. He's a Stihl Gold certified mechanic. Add to this, his son is a engineer that did his internship at Stihl in Virginia Beach, so has some insider information. Stihl has done testing and found that a saw runs 80° hotter with 32:1 than 50:1. He's a firm believer in 50:1 with TODAY'S oils. The reason that there are more BTUs in the oil and therefore burns hotter. I'm still not comfortable giving up the added protection and lubrication the added oil gives, especially in the bottom end.

I thought somewhere in this huge thread someone said oil don't burn/combust?

My non-scientific infared readings from 70cc ported saws came up with warmer temps too using 42:1 vs. 50:1 also. Didn't try 32:1.

My Dealer is a high volume dealer because he supplies a large amount of loggers that buy there saws from him. For the most part they all use Ultra and he has had no engine failures due to lack of oil at 50:1. Typically most professional loggers will not use anything more than the spec amount of oil in their saws. They are too cheap. I said "most," not all lol.

Makes sense if you are making more power as more oil in the mix has been proven to provide for.
On the BTU point. True, two cycle oil could have a higher BTU content, but the differance between 32 and 50:1 is pretty paltry.One other point rarely considered is that fact in order for oil to burn it has to change from a liquid to a gas and this takes heat out of the motor to do this just as gasoline does the same thing. The differance is oil takes much more heat than gasoline to change phases.

I thought somewhere in this huge thread someone said oil don't burn/combust?

My non-scientific infared readings from 70cc ported saws came up with warmer temps too using 42:1 vs. 50:1 also. Didn't try 32:1.

My Dealer is a high volume dealer because he supplies a large amount of loggers that buy there saws from him. For the most part they all use Ultra and he has had no engine failures due to lack of oil at 50:1. Typically most professional loggers will not use anything more than the spec amount of oil in their saws. They are too cheap. I said "most," not all lol.
Two cycle oils do indeed combust or you wouldn't get the sweet smell of castor or Klotz in your exhaust.. Of course some oils don't fully combust.

For all the time and effort you are going through ............ a Hardline tach on saws that are being operated by someone "testing" things are such a great help in tuning the saw, and some of its accessories.

I have an 066 that went to mdavlee. He left his snot inside some of it
Ever giggle real good

Attachments

• .404 RHC square filed.jpg
    .404 RHC square filed.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 36
  • 661, 044, 066.jpg
    661, 044, 066.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 35
  • 066 bridged.jpg
    066 bridged.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 36