661 Oil Test 32:1 vs 40:1 vs 50:1 ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I talked to a super knowledgeable Stihl dealer/owner/mechanic today. I've known him since my Dad bought his saws new from him in the mid 90s. He's a Stihl Gold certified mechanic. Add to this, his son is a engineer that did his internship at Stihl in Virginia Beach, so has some insider information. Stihl has done testing and found that a saw runs 80° hotter with 32:1 than 50:1. He's a firm believer in 50:1 with TODAY'S oils. The reason that there are more BTUs in the oil and therefore burns hotter. I'm still not comfortable giving up the added protection and lubrication the added oil gives, especially in the bottom end.
Good post Brad, also another thing to consider is that OEM's are specifying 50:1 in more and more applications so the additive package in oils are designed to perform best at 50:1. Also heat below a certain point can help keep a clean combustion chamber. Many blame rich oil or rich tune for build up where if they just ran their saw as intended at wot most of the time things would be fine.

17sf8p.jpg
I thought you might appreciate confirmation of your assumptions. Maybe not.

You're saw felt like it was running harder with 32:1?? My friend your orange screwdriver needs porting, it's obviously lacking performance lol. Looks like some auto tunes can't compete, or can't do so quickly.
Yeah, I'm calling total BS on that as well. It's called the placebo affect. WAY too many assumptions are being made in this testing.

well maybe the oil is to thick at 32:1 and it's slowing down the piston?

My tests are not the end all be all. If anything they should make you guys want to perform your own tests to confirm or question. Just because my results don't agree with what is expected or "known", doesn't mean they should just be written off. No one else is doing any testing or has done any tests that I've found/seen.

Like I said earlier. The only reason I'm doing this is to find what works best in my saws. Placebo effect my azz. I'm not trying to prove anything to anyone. I don't care about being wrong or right. I care about finding the best. Had I applied the 661 and 361 results to the 660 I wouldn't of found out that the 660 likes 40:1.

Also I don't get this line of thinking where all oils should be run at 32:1. Different make ups...solvents don't count as far the lube goes so your really not actually running 32:1. H1R and stihl and 800 much more pure.

well maybe the oil is to thick at 32:1 and it's slowing down the piston?
My tests are not the end all be all. If anything they should make you guys want to perform your own tests to confirm or question. Just because my results don't agree with what is expected or "known", doesn't mean they should just be written off. No one else is doing any testing or has done any tests that I've found/seen.

Like I said earlier. The only reason I'm doing this is to find what works best in my saws. Placebo effect my azz. I'm not trying to prove anything to anyone. I don't care about being wrong or right. I care about finding the best. Had I applied the 661 and 361 results to the 660 I wouldn't of found out that the 660 likes 40:1.

Also I don't get this line of thinking where all oils should be run at 32:1. Different make ups...solvents don't count as far the lube goes so your really not actually running 32:1. H1R and stihl and 800 much more pure.
How many turns out on the h of the 660 were u redbull?

660 tune didn't change much. little richer on idle and H as I went down from 50 to 45 to 40 to 32. No jump from 40 to 32 like with the 361.

total movement of the H...maybe 1/4 of a turn at the very most. Again I did not see the giant jump like I did with the 361. That is why I said the 660 was much more receptive to 32:1. Wasn't the best combo but it wasn't crazy like the 361. Don't know why.
What was your WOT on the stock DP 660 for each mix?

1/4 turn is a good bit for a change in oil.

"at the very most"

Going over to my dad's for dinner. I'll look at the saw when I get back. Limit caps are in place on the saw and I didn't hit the limit cap so 1/4 turn is probably over stating it. probably just easier/faster if I do a short video showing.

What was your WOT on the stock DP 660 for each mix?

I tuned the saw to 13200 for each. Between 50 and 32 probably lost 300 rpm at the most. I'll just do it on video and you all can see.

"at the very most"

Going over to my dad's for dinner. I'll look at the saw when I get back. Limit caps are in place on the saw and I didn't hit the limit cap so 1/4 turn is probably over stating it. probably just easier/faster if I do a short video showing.

I tuned the saw to 13200 for each. Between 50 and 32 probably lost 300 rpm at the most. I'll just do it on video and you all can see.

A 1/4 of a turn is a lot, however 300 rpm isn't much, a cool gust of wind could do that.[emoji6]

"at the very most"

I tuned the saw to 13200 for each. Between 50 and 32 probably lost 300 rpm at the most. I'll just do it on video and you all can see.[/QUOTE
If your 660 was ported you'd be tuning higher than that. Gigantic difference between a stock 660 and a ported 660. Mine increased over 40% in HP.

Tuning a saw using max no load rpm leaves alot to be desired IMO. I get the saw close by adjusting the high speed till it just cleans up, then I tape the tach to the handle bar and make some cuts till I find the adjustment that gives the most rpm in the cut.
1/4,or even 1/8 is a huge amount of adjustment when going from 50 to 32:1. I have read that going from 32:1 to 16:1 amounts to 1/4 of a main jet size on a Yamaha TZ-250 road racer. In my own expiereance I have never had to change a main jet when going from 32 to 20:1 on a bike. Usually just a small air screw adjustment or maybe a pilot jet

A 1/4 of a turn is a lot, however 300 rpm isn't much, a cool gust of wind could do that.[emoji6]

well let me just run some 50 and then some 32 and video the change in tune. The amount of tune change was important to me but not really a priority so basically I was just on guard for a large change and there wasn't. Didn't know it was so important to you guys. Anyway ya all have me curious again so we'll see what it does in the morning.

well let me just run some 50 and then some 32 and video the change in tune. The amount of tune change was important to me but not really a priority so basically I was just on guard for a large change and there wasn't. Didn't know it was so important to you guys. Anyway ya all have me curious again so we'll see what it does in the morning.
The saws state of tune is pretty important to the "test", no?

Latest posts

Back