7900 woods ported saw...finished!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MCW

Somebody's talking crap here & it ain't the tree!
I thought 7900's didnt respond well to porting?

Thats an old wive's tale mate. Brad ported my second 7900 and it absolutely eats my stock 7900, both with the HD filter setups which also add to power.
That saw looks pretty strong in the vid, thats for sure. I suspect a pretty sharp chain as well though :)

mdavlee

mdavlee

Tree Freak
Wow, it picked up a lot with porting. Makes me kinda want to port mine. Did they just leave the factory outlet on the muffler or dual port it?

Last edited:

Evan

Addicted to ArboristSite
is the carb set the same as it was stock, or did you richen it after the you ported it.

either way it is much stronger and has alot left to give with some fine tuneing

Evan

Addicted to ArboristSite
ohh

is the depended on intake and exhaust port width or work done to transfers. or everything.

my 440 is as wide as i would want to go. portes traced on the piston are very close to the skirt edge , transfers could have been widend more but i im kinda new to trasfer grinding so i didnt go radical.

blsnelling
I honestly don't know what would have to be done to get that kind of gains from a 7900. Traditional woods porting only gets you about 15-20%, and I don't build race saws. That's beyond my abilities. It would be nice to know what all he's done to get this kind of gains. But I'm not interested in limiting most of my saws to cookie cutting, if that's the case here. Maybe it's not.

Last edited:
gink595

gink595

Addicted to ArboristSite
Sounds like it is on the limiter, but only EC can tell ya what he did. Looks nasty strong though, but what else do you expect.:biggrinbounce2: How many hours of work does he have in it? Hopefully I can try it out someday at a GTG.

Nope no limiter, He did say there was no performance gain with the coil swap I just wanted it for the tuning ease..
I have no idea how much time he spent on it but my guess is quite a while. I don't think 35% was had in a evening:laugh:

If we are ever to meet up at a GTG you can run it for a dollar a cut;)

gink595

gink595

Addicted to ArboristSite
I honestly don't know what would have to be done to get that kind of gains from a 7900. Traditional woods porting only gets you about 15-20%, and I don't build race saws. That's beyond my abilities. It would be nice to know what all he's done to get this kind of gains. But I'm not interested in limiting most of my saws to cookie cutting, if that's the case here. Maybe it's not.

Alright I'm going to try and put alot to rest on the cookie cutter machine. One of my things that I asked when I had him do this saw was to make it usable, cookie cutting is okay but I only do that once a year, this is my fireewood saw.

What is the one thing that will cause heat...compression right. This saw is well under 200 psi. That is more than I can say about the 5100 that I have, and I have cut with it pretty hard, nonstop for the short while I have owned it.

If I have to put this thing on the mill and video tape to prove a point I will to show that this is a woods ported saw, I've been guarenteed that I can cut firewood all day long, you've got to remember this isn't the first 7900 he has ever done, I'm sure he has a good idea on how far to push the envelope.

blsnelling
I only asked a legitimate question. Thanks for the answer. I'm just a little sceptical since gains like this haven't been seen before, not that I'm aware on a woods ported 7900 or 681. Of the 681s done in the build off done on the other site, none of them saw gains like this. I can't remember who all did them, but they weren't all rookies. Just curious. And don't take my questions personal Gink. They're not aimed at you.

Last edited:
gink595

gink595

Addicted to ArboristSite
That saw looks pretty strong in the vid, thats for sure. I suspect a pretty sharp chain as well though :)

Yes it has a sharp chain on it your not supposed to cut with dull chains that is hard on the saw...;)

It was the same bar and chain that was used in the stock video... I believe it was off the roll Oregon.

blsnelling
Perhaps he's found a piston with wider skirts, or added additional transfer ports? Reguardless, you're going to love that saw! That saw will walk all over a 660! Like I tell people, once you've run a ported saw, there's no going back. You'll be sending him the rest of your saws before you know it:)

04ultra

04ultra

"Out of Control"
. AS Supporting Member.
I only asked a legitimate question. Thanks for the answer. I'm just a little sceptical since gains like this haven't been seen before, not that I'm aware on a woods ported 7900 or 681. Of the 681s done in the build off done on the other site, none of them saw gains like this. I can't remember who all did them, but they weren't all rookies. Just curious. And don't take my questions personal Gink. They're not aimed at you.

Well Kevins 7901 ran pretty stong and it was better than 15% gain after being modded..........Im willing to bet the modder knows a fair bit about building saws.....

My Zebra 2149, 358,375 and one of my 084's had been blessed by him ;);)

Latest posts