7900 woods ported saw...finished!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gink595

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I just recieved video of my 7900, and that it is done for the most part. I have to confuss a mistake I made when I posted the 7900-681 comparo, I said the wood was Ash but I was told it is Poplar, I'm sure I'll catch flack for it but it was a misunderstanding on my part and I posted it wrong. But after saying that the saws still were tested in the same wood with the same bar and chain, it's poplar like Andy pointed out. Sorry for being misleading I really feel like a TWIT about that:(

Back to the 7900, it is tuned rich and has a fresh ring in it, so it might be a couple tanks before it gets leaned up a little. The heavy duty filter still needs to be put on it, but I wanted to see if there was a perforamnce difference betweent the stock set up and the HD filter. It was run with the stock set up.

From the 2 cuts made one being stock and the other ported I calced a 35% gain. We're going to screw with it somemore this saturday and see if it gets a bit stronger, if not it will be a good time of BS'in and playing with saws, I hope my belly is up for it:D

<object width="445" height="364"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/-cG4q9SSDEs&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/-cG4q9SSDEs&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="445" height="364"></embed></object>

<object width="445" height="364"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Nm9qHnvmfpI&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Nm9qHnvmfpI&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="445" height="364"></embed></object>

Last edited by a moderator:
I just recieved video of my 7900, and that it is done for the most part. I have to confuss a mistake I made when I posted the 7900-681 comparo, I said the wood was Ash but I was told it is Poplar, I'm sure I'll catch flack for it but it was a misunderstanding on my part and I posted it wrong. But after saying that the saws still were tested in the same wood with the same bar and chain, it's poplar like Andy pointed out. Sorry for being misleading I really feel like a **** about that:(

Back to the 7900, it is tuned rich and has a fresh ring in it, so it might be a couple tanks before it gets leaned up a little. The heavy duty filter still needs to be put on it, but I wanted to see if there was a perforamnce difference betweent the stock set up and the HD filter. It was run with the stock set up.

From the 2 cuts made one being stock and the other ported I calced a 35% gain. We're going to screw with it somemore this saturday and see if it gets a bit stronger, if not it will be a good time of BS'in and playing with saws, I hope my belly is up for it:D

Is that from who I think its from????:popcorn::popcorn:

Looks like more than 15%

Nice work! What a runner! That thing runs like a scalded dog! I thought 7900's didnt respond well to porting?

Last edited:
very underrated word.

That looks friggin awesome...

Was the saw bouncing off the limiter in the second vid?

No it definatly isn't bouncing off of the rev limiter, but I think the rev limited coil got bounced in the trash can:D

Nice work! What a runner! That thing runs like a scalded dog! I thought 7900's didnt respond well to porting?

I think 35% shows it responded well!! I can't wait to get my greedy little mitts all over it.

The Dolmar Bar is open at the AS SALOON!

Dolmar Gang having a family gathering tonight! Drinking, food and cervezas, maybe a little green:D

That saw is going to rip once dialed in.

No it definatly isn't bouncing off of the rev limiter, but I think the rev limited coil got bounced in the trash can:D

Sounds like it is on the limiter, but only EC can tell ya what he did. Looks nasty strong though, but what else do you expect.:biggrinbounce2: How many hours of work does he have in it? Hopefully I can try it out someday at a GTG.

Sounds like it is on the limiter, but only EC can tell ya what he did. Looks nasty strong though, but what else do you expect.:biggrinbounce2: How many hours of work does he have in it? Hopefully I can try it out someday at a GTG.

That thing is insane,it sounds like its going to take off and fly away! What a revver for an 80cc saw!

Yup definitely not the limiter. What coil is big E using? I know of a few coils that will fit as long as you re index the flywheel. As of now that's just not something I want to do on a work saw. Can you run the saw flat out? or do you need to stop every now and then to let her cool down? I do that with my 372, if I don't she'll get hot.:givebeer::givebeer:

You can hear the limiter on my saw in this video. It sounds totally different than franks saw, you can really hear it a 47 sec into the video.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/FcjgPYOyCUE&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/FcjgPYOyCUE&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Last edited:
Hey Frank, I'm having Deja vu here. . . LOL

Again, nice saw; someday I may buy one of them there 7900's. . . Gotta unload a bunch of other stuff first. :cry:

Latest posts

Back