8 pin on an Echo 590

• Thread starter Deleted member 149229
  • Start date
Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been using 8 pins on my McCullochs and if you can get the chain with just one more link 20" 71dl ect... I almost ran out of adjustment with a 72dl .McCulloch and echo use the same bar+chain combos , I was able to get a 18 inch bar with 66dl to fit by shaving some metal off the tail of the bar.
I dont know how yor saw will behave with an 8 pin rim but it's quite noticeable on an old saw with the slower motor , but the older saws have a massive amount of grunt so it really doesn't matter how much torque you sacrifice for chain speed.
Pro mac 55 18" bar 8pin rim good!
Pro mac 700 20" bar 8pin rim good!

I’ll get the vids posted later, well, the wife will upload to YouTube later, I’m computer illiterate. To me the 7 pin was the clear winner. Same saw, chain and bar. I could hear and feel the saw slow down with the 8 pin. Ran it in dry, what we call around here, rock maple, not oak but still pretty hard.

If you time the cuts though you're a pretty consistent 4 seconds with both sprockets......Interesting
On the 7 pin I just let it do it’s thing. On the 8 pin I could hear/feel it slowing so I started pushing on it. I’m no expert but the 7 pin just felt/sounded better. In all honesty maybe the 8 pin would have been better if I had played with the tune for it but I left the same as the 7 pin settings.

Back