90 ft. OmmeLift

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Phil, those are nice for sure! Maybe Rocko can get you some jobs hanging Christmas tree lights when you aren't busy doing tree work:D I have been doing a lot of research on tracked lifts, the only concern I have is how long they are going to last. They haven't been on the market for a long long time like bucket trucks. I have had the opportunity to work in one this past summer (a 75'er) I would have to say I was extremely impressed by every feature of it!

Last edited:
the 11,000lb- weight and a basket dimension of 4' X 10' are deal breakers for me.
Sorry I haven't answered. New computer and I'm having a hard time getting stuff transferred off the old one. The weight certainly is a concern but I think the ground pressure with the tracks is probably less per sq. in that it is on the wheeled Bil-Jax. The weight of the Bil-Jax 5533 and the Bobcat MT-55 that I move it with are about 7400 lbs. or 3600 lighter than the Omme. I'm also looking at a 78 ft. Crawler that's around 7700 lbs and the 80 ft. Omme. Both about 30 grand cheaper but I'm not sure if the lower height would work outside of tree work. I don't have good connections with the skilled trades and maintenance guys around here but I'm trying to talk to everyone I can.
Phil

All I have to say is GOOD LORD YOU MUST MAVE SOME BIG ACCOUNTS. Unloading, driving it to the tree ( at a 1/4 of a mi. an hour) setting it up, then moving to the next spot, then loading up, then theirs insurance, maintenance, boy oh boy. Just to go 80' + . I can rent a machin for pretty cheap. Now im not knocking you if you can make $ with that bad boy ad it to your arsenal. If you have big dead trees it can be priceless. At that price it almost is.
Back in hawaii a guy has a spyder style one and I can out preform that thing for most scenarios. It takes to long to move. Im in the tree working while their still unloading.
The owner of a company I work for there has some accounts with over 2000 trees. But you can't get the machine into 50% of them and when you do it takes to long for set up and tear down. They tend to be high end hotels and they make noise the tourist dont like. Like I said before its a must for some accounts just not many I've seen.

Off subject here...A.D.D

Ive had the option with many companies to use their bucket trucks and I leave them in the yard most days. For pruning you can only access 75% of the tree at best. When there's multiple trees in a row they're helpful. Or if its a giant and its broad. Mostly nice to set climb lines in so you can get the real pruning done. The machines are nice but over used in many situations . A friend of mine lives up in northern Indiana and he never takes a job unless its accessible with his big ol' bucket truck. He makes ok $ at that as well. I don't know how? But whatever.

Good luck in what ever you pick hope it works out.

the price is steep..........BUT, I have used tow behinds exclusively (use to own a bucket truck) & I can tell you this: you will do far more than any bucket truck can in residential work!!!!

road work, line clearance then yes the truck is the way to go...........the poster who made comments about, set up, insurance & blah blah blah apparently doesnt realize that a bucket truck in maintenance, insurance, CDL, DOT, etc...will cost way more than any track lift or towbehind.

and to the guy who has an account with 2000 trees & not being able to get a tracked lift in.................BS! & he can only reach 75% of prunes with a bucket/track lift.............some people need more training on how to set up & trim along with use a lift efficiently!!

I think the price is a little high.....However, if you`re serious you will pay that machine off in no time by doing the trees a bucket cant, wont & never will get too, I DID! BTW: Ive done canopy prunes on 75ft trees with a 56 WH tow behind lift & removals taller than that rigging the tree down...........you gotta know what you`re doing!

good luck!

LXT..........

the price is steep..........BUT, I have used tow behinds exclusively (use to own a bucket truck) & I can tell you this: you will do far more than any bucket truck can in residential work!!!!

road work, line clearance then yes the truck is the way to go...........the poster who made comments about, set up, insurance & blah blah blah apparently doesnt realize that a bucket truck in maintenance, insurance, CDL, DOT, etc...will cost way more than any track lift or towbehind.

and to the guy who has an account with 2000 trees & not being able to get a tracked lift in.................BS! & he can only reach 75% of prunes with a bucket/track lift.............some people need more training on how to set up & trim along with use a lift efficiently!!

I think the price is a little high.....However, if you`re serious you will pay that machine off in no time by doing the trees a bucket cant, wont & never will get too, I DID! BTW: Ive done canopy prunes on 75ft trees with a 56 WH tow behind lift & removals taller than that rigging the tree down...........you gotta know what you`re doing!

good luck!

LXT..........

Yup, and if you follow all of Lexy's advice you can eventually suffer a heart attack and go out of business to become a wire puller who gets free boots!

As a side note, Lexy, aren't there forums for you wire pullers to hang out and talk about cable splicing and other stuff that's more your speed these days? lol

Ah............its flakey Blakey!

I still roll part time my osama bin laden looking tree trimmer wanna be, wire puller? pah........its Lineman to you wood cudder!! say, you ever get those fisher price kitchen cabinets up? LOL maybe you should take up that offer of stringing xmas lights so you can pay some bills this winter...........BLAHAHAHA

Yep, free boots & clothes with good health care, pension, sick days, inclement weather & 5 Gggoollden Rings.....LOL

Oh & Blakes......didnt have a heart attack, I made it in before hand & its genetics jacktard, atleast in my life time I will have conquered 2 trades, you have yet to even get 1 down!!! Hence why you should put up Xmas lights, LOL ................maybe when they cut you open some day we`ll see if you can return to the trees? LMFAO

So blakes..... split some wood so you dont burn so much oil, nuzzle in tonight beside Laura promising her that brite future you have always dreamed about & Tmrw when you get up, split some more wood, grease the bucket, straighten out the door on yer kitchen cabinets & go hang some lights big boy.....cuz yer just so far ahead of this wire puller...........:laugh:

Im sure Assistance is available for you, the income standard is no doubt way above what your tree care service makes....thus qualifying you for full blown assistance....your welcome, since my tax dollars pay for it

LXT..............

Ah............its flakey Blakey!

I still roll part time my osama bin laden looking tree trimmer wanna be, wire puller? pah........its Lineman to you wood cudder!! say, you ever get those fisher price kitchen cabinets up? LOL maybe you should take up that offer of stringing xmas lights so you can pay some bills this winter...........BLAHAHAHA

Yep, free boots & clothes with good health care, pension, sick days, inclement weather & 5 Gggoollden Rings.....LOL

Oh & Blakes......didnt have a heart attack, I made it in before hand & its genetics jacktard, atleast in my life time I will have conquered 2 trades, you have yet to even get 1 down!!! Hence why you should put up Xmas lights, LOL ................maybe when they cut you open some day we`ll see if you can return to the trees? LMFAO

So blakes..... split some wood so you dont burn so much oil, nuzzle in tonight beside Laura promising her that brite future you have always dreamed about & Tmrw when you get up, split some more wood, grease the bucket, straighten out the door on yer kitchen cabinets & go hang some lights big boy.....cuz yer just so far ahead of this wire puller...........:laugh:

Im sure Assistance is available for you, the income standard is no doubt way above what your tree care service makes....thus qualifying you for full blown assistance....your welcome, since my tax dollars pay for it

LXT..............

Lol, Lexy, you jelly? Just because you got the piss beat out of you trying to do a real man's job when you nothing more than a shriveled nutsack is no reason to try and weigh in on every thread like you know what's up, your little tz 50 ain't nothing compared to the lift posted and you're "biz", whatever it was, and whatever's left of it ain't nothing compared to mine. You just pissed off 'cause you were one of the only haters on this site to start bashing me, and now what? You a washed up, fag, loser, with no biz, no equipment, and no hope and in less than 5 years, I've bought and paid for more equipment than you ever did or could. I wouldn't trade half of my 200T's for your ####show you call a tree service. I'd beat ya around a bit more, but like I said before, I just feel sorry for ya at this point.

No doubt in my mind your pruning jobs are absolutely under par for any descent company. No bucket truck/or lift can tip prune like a climber. If you lower your standards yes. 2000 trees is only 1 account. When you have 7 climbers bouncing from coconut to coconut sometimes never coming out of the tree. Just traversing. I didnt say he didnt have the $ i just said their of no use to him. We have to be quite on our jobs. We shouldnt even be seen let alone heard. People pay $500-$4000 a night to stay at these hotels and they dont want to hear a hill jack in a lift driving around. In an urban enviroment there's no room to use them most of the time. Back yards with no access, front yards with parked cars.

Im not saying theirs no use just limited use in the places I've work. My boss in oregon has over a million dollars in equipment and we show up with the absolutely the basics. People always tell him "you need this""you should buy that" little do they know he's got it. But its bigger and better then what they brought up. Year after year he gets more jobs done then any other out fit I've worked for.

Huge rotten removal yeah.

I've needed them. Bad. I've pruned trees that are an entire acre big. But ounce every year or two

How did the ol boys get so much work done back in the day without all our fancy stuff.

My original idea was to find a piece of equipment I could use myself and support the purchase by contracting to other tree companies similar to a crane service and also rental for maintenance and construction. NE Ohio is heavily forested with ash trees that will be EAB targets in the next few years. Most are climber, bucket or crane accessible but there I'm counting on a niche market for the ones that aren't. I've thrown enough plywood in the past few years to know that if I can build a road I can put a backyard lift almost anywhere.
The problem I'm running into is with the second part of the plan and that looks like it will get killed by insurance costs. My carrier gave me an estimate of $3400 yearly for a 180 grand lift for use by my company. They were not even interested in talking about coverage for rental use which they guessed would be very considerably more. That was a market that I wanted to try but I think I'll step back from that idea. The price for an 75-80 ft. articulated lift is 126-136 grand which is a lot easier to live with. I'm still looking at all the numbers. I'm 65 and sitting home recovering from a knee replacement. I don't really need to do any of this but I've never been much of a spectator in life so I'll just keep on going.
Thanks for the input,
Phil

If theirs a market it can definitely pay for itself.

Have you senn ACE's videos on youtube of the eucalyptus removals? The lift is priceless in those scenarios.

Lol, Lexy, you jelly? Just because you got the piss beat out of you trying to do a real man's job when you nothing more than a shriveled nutsack is no reason to try and weigh in on every thread like you know what's up, your little tz 50 ain't nothing compared to the lift posted and you're "biz", whatever it was, and whatever's left of it ain't nothing compared to mine. You just pissed off 'cause you were one of the only haters on this site to start bashing me, and now what? You a washed up, fag, loser, with no biz, no equipment, and no hope and in less than 5 years, I've bought and paid for more equipment than you ever did or could. I wouldn't trade half of my 200T's for your ####show you call a tree service. I'd beat ya around a bit more, but like I said before, I just feel sorry for ya at this point.

LMFAO............Jelly of you? maybe cause everyones got to tea bag you cept me! Well folks..........apparently Mr. Blakes has an entire division & fleet service of his own???? show us big boy!! I mean hell you have owned & sold more, & bla bla bla

LOL, what I like about lil tree services like yours Blakes is that when your 50 & all yer help has turned over 100 times & no one wants to work for or with you & you have re-mortgaged your shack so many times to help the biz..............whelp, Ill come to lowes garden section & buy off ya, maybe put a buck in the red can for ya?

So my lil flier, while yer trimming uhum....I mean putting up Xmas lights (LMFAO) ill be having a tree crew cut a path to the H frame Ill be A-ripping on monday.......then maybe we`ll have the tree crew just for fun clear the ivy vines off the T-poles, then whatever else we wanna em to do........they`ll do!!!! really though we have a good relationship, but they do what we want them to!

Now.......you should do whats told of you! "PUT THE XMAS LIGHTS UP" LOL, Blakes............a loser with 1 bucket & a hand full of crap & he thinks he is all that, you`re no better than anyone on this site, no better than I was nor will you ever be, I came on here to give a guy advice cause I, unlike you have ran many track lift, towbehind & SD machines & know what they can do!

I didnt come here to argue........however you felt the need to chime in like the supository you are and all the crap starts to flow, you are nothing but a tree service with no credentials & you think you are better? atleast I obtained qualifications, certifications, licenses & so on............doesnt make me better, I just truly enjoyed my trade enough to educate my self as much as I could........But how silly of many of us to do that, we should just follow your business plan & then we can brag how big we think we are, what a loser you really are!

LXT.........

I think there's one of these in my future. 180 grand is big money for me but I'm wondering if there isn't money to be made selling access outside of tree work.
http://www.ommelift.net/content/files/3025d53ba56501e2a3b19c374d917604_1.pdf
Phil

I believe if you where to do this 90ft would give you a lot more of a niche than the smaller units. We used the crane to do a good bit of work on church roofs, some of those are up there pretty good, 90-100ft can fall short.

I can rent one here for a mere $1400/day or 12000/month. Insurance shouldn't kill your idea. If you have the capital and the means to pay it off, make it happen. I have toyed with the Teupen LEO 27 purchase, but to date cannot justify it. Good luck.

Back