A couple pics of my 038 Magnum I just finished...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rob,

Damn NICE saw!!! WOWOWOW :heart:

I THOUGHT my saw was clean...

whatya mean it's not a cream-puff?? looks like it to me...

Looks like a cream puff to me now!:clap: Very nice saw.

+1!!!

Love the full-wrap too...

I gotta ask... how did you 'borrow' the emblem from the other saw, and fit the rivets?? GOTTA KNOW!!

J

I gotta ask... how did you 'borrow' the emblem from the other saw, and fit the rivets?? GOTTA KNOW!!

J

I've done it before so I'll take a stab at it. You just punch out the rivits from the back side, off comes the plate and 2 rivets.
After you remove the old plate and rivets put your new plate and rivets in. If the rivets dont fit tightly, then balloon the backside of the rivets with a center punch after they are in.

I've done it before so I'll take a stab at it. You just punch out the rivits from the back side, off comes the plate and 2 rivets.
After you remove the old plate and rivets put your new plate and rivets in. If the rivets dont fit tightly, then balloon the backside of the rivets with a center punch after they are in.

Justin,

Thanks man! that makes sense... I guess i'm always afraid of busting a recoil, or top cover! (if i'm painting a recoil cover, and want to take the plate off...)

:cheers:

you make it sound too easy!! lol.

ever try the plastic top-covers? ALA: 044-066, etc.???

J

Justin,
Thanks man! that makes sense... I guess i'm always afraid of busting a recoil, or top cover! (if i'm painting a recoil cover, and want to take the plate off...)

:cheers:

you make it sound too easy!! lol.

ever try the plastic top-covers? ALA: 044-066, etc.???

J

Hey no prob, I just did a top cover on an 046, it had cast in plastic rivets built into it, It fit a bit loose so I just glued it on to be safe.

I broke my first recoil I did, I used a punch that was too big trying to take the rivets out. Alfso if you use one too small you will just smash them and get that balloon effect like the center punch, so I just ended up making one the right diameter with no taper.

Hey no prob, I just did a top cover on an 046, it had cast in plastic rivets built into it, It fit a bit loose so I just glued it on to be safe.

I broke my first recoil I did, I used a punch that was too big trying to take the rivets out. Alfso if you use one too small you will just smash them and get that balloon effect like the center punch, so I just ended up making one the right diameter with no taper.

10/4 sounds like that makes sense...

yeah, the older 044-066 (and probably MANY others as I know my 034 has them) have metal rivets...

hmm...gonna have to go play :D

J

I got to run my 038 today......Don't worry about the bit of smoke you see after it made it's first few cuts. It was just burning off some of the fresh paint on the muffler and the assembly oil. Can't wait until it seats the rings!!!!:rock:

I had a few loops of Oregon LPX safety chain that I need to use up, so that's what's on this saw in the video.....It actually cuts pretty decent!

It runs and cuts really decent!!! Real nice saw,,, love tha wrap handle!!

Great saw - where do you find them so minty? I have just used one of my 038 mags to cut up bunch of dry Ironbark and it did it easily.

In fact they are still available new in Australia and are known as 381's.
A cutting pal has one and he loves it. I wonder why they are not available stateside?
Oh, BTW, there seem to be a heap of Chinese copies floating around here at the moment selling as genuine Stihls. Gotta be careful.

Al.

Great looking saw!!! I was looking for one for a while and I found a 038 AVS, it was a homeowner shelf queen saw. I am going to put a magnum top end on it one of these days, it just runs too good to rip it apart. AWESOME job and I love the full wrap handle on it too...

Rob,

Damn NICE saw!!! WOWOWOW :heart:

I THOUGHT my saw was clean...

whatya mean it's not a cream-puff?? looks like it to me...

+1!!!

Love the full-wrap too...

J

J......My bad for not taking pics of this saw before I started!... It was NOT a cream puff before I had my way with her! It had a busted up tank held together with black tape, a 1/4" of nasty filth everywhere and a toasted top end.:dizzy:.....It had a full wrap though!:msp_biggrin:

NeoTree nailed the tag procedure, exactly!!! A fellow has to think very carefully of where to use those new "Made in W. Germany" Stihl tags, but I felt this 038 was worthy after the clean up!:rock:

Thanks for the kudos, guys!!!!:msp_thumbup:

Back