A Day With Art Martin

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

820wards

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I was able to spend Saturday with art Martin, in his shop checking out his latest project/secret... He lives about an our away from my cabin in the California gold country.

Had a chance to see all his trick stuff and what he is working on for the up coming racing season. This guy is endless information on chainsaws ande how to make them really fast. He has been helping me with my restoration of my WARDS 082 saw. It now sports a 30" CANNON bar and has been cutting oak firewood like mad. We spent half a day tuning the saw once I replaced the points with an ATOM electronic ignition, new reed valves and a 1" bore intake and carb. The second half of the day was spent with Art teaching me his method of sharpening chisel and round tooth chains. His depth gauge is really cool how it works and simple to make and his chain sharpening mandrel works real good. Attached is a picture of my saw in action on an oak log at my cabin. Yes, I use it only for cutting firewood.

I'll be helping Art with one of his projects that I'm sure you'll all get to see when he is done. His shop is full of really cool saw stuff that I could spend all day watching him use. Guess I'll be going back many times this year.

jerry-

I'm kinda jealous, Jerry!!!

I have an image in my head of Arts house/shop being somewhat of a landmark or museum of innovation if you will.

You're lucky to have such an immense source of information and wisdom in just one man.

Hope to hear from you again on this.

820wards

Although Art is giving up all my secrets, welcome! You have just got to meet a man who is willing to teach the reast of you folks. You will have good freinds there, my wife and I know. Art & Marita are very good freinds of ours from a 1000 miles away.

To the man who showed me a trick or two. Thank you
Rotax Robert

I'm kinda jealous, Jerry!!!

I have an image in my head of Arts house/shop being somewhat of a landmark or museum of innovation if you will.

You're lucky to have such an immense source of information and wisdom in just one man.

Hope to hear from you again on this.

** Imagine your nice house with a shop built onto it that is dedicated to building and repairing chainsaws only. He has more chains/bars hanging on the walls of his shop than I will ever see anywhere else. I have been helping him with some fabrication/welding on one of his racing bars and some other things he has designed. He know SO MUCH!

You should see the carving he gave my wife and I. It's an axe in a log that he carved. He talent is endless.
jerry-

The second half of the day was spent with Art teaching me his method of sharpening chisel and round tooth chains. His depth gauge is really cool how it works and simple to make and his chain sharpening mandrel works real good.

Got pix?

sure would be cool to see a pic of square chain sharpening mandrel

sure would be cool to see a pic of square chain sharpening mandrel

If you look at Art Martins posts you will see pictures of the mandrel he has that holds the chain for had sharpening. It will also hold any round tooth chain and it work very good. In one of his post you will also see pictures of the depth gauge that is used for setting the chip depth. Simple to make. The sharpening mandrel is much more work to make, but very positive how it holds the chain for sharpening. I've attached pictures of the mandrel that Art uses. The two pieces that grip the chain are cut from a large plainer blade. Check them out.

jerry-

Back