a general felling wedge question, simple question, complex answers =P

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
so if your in the woods with no speed square couldn't you use your axe ? hold it out in front of your sight top and bottom of tree ,then tip it like a tree falling and get close results ?

never tried it that way, but you could still use the axe to make your right triangle. hold it out in front from your eyes to your fist (axe head on your forehead), then grip the axe handle where the knuckles of your fist touched the handle. hold the axe up level with your eyes, and then move around til the tree tops are sighted right to the tip of the axe head. its a make shift 45 degree angle, then turn around from where you are standing and guestimate your standing height, and thats your spot. can do the same thing with any stick (plenty of those laying around), but ive not had the same success, never tried it with an axe. i got a double bit PLUMB that i doubt i could hold up very long that way..:msp_biggrin:

I had a speed square with a built in level on one side. If i had a guy level it for me from the side, sight the top and add my eye height, it was dead nuts accurate.

i thought about taping a line level to mine, and then using a mirror to where i can see it, kinda like a compass, but i never followed through...i may try that though, haha, i knew i wasnt keeping it dead level.

should also point out it matters how high up you make your back cut, and if the butt jumps away from the stump ect.. the initial point on the ground is equal as the tree stands. if you cut it 3ft up, then roll your point on the ground back 3ft ect...

Last edited:
You hold the ax head down!

never tried it that way, but you could still use the axe to make your right triangle. hold it out in front from your eyes to your fist (axe head on your forehead), then grip the axe handle where the knuckles of your fist touched the handle. hold the axe up level with your eyes, and then move around til the tree tops are sighted right to the tip of the axe head. its a make shift 45 degree angle, then turn around from where you are standing and guestimate your standing height, and thats your spot. can do the same thing with any stick (plenty of those laying around), but ive not had the same success, never tried it with an axe. i got a double bit PLUMB that i doubt i could hold up very long that way..:msp_biggrin:

You were 2 ft short, did you count the stump?

I knew an old guy used a level that had a 45 deg. bubble and he would sight that to the top of the tree. He was dead on. I got an app on my phone that suppose to do it but can't figure it out yet. I get pretty close using my thumb and index finger making a 45deg angle with them and sight that. But if its that critical I'll take a top.

im in florida and we do alot of sandhill pines that get crazy leans to them near and over homes 60' to 90' tall we have to turn them
we allways use 2 ton come along with wedges to do this works well use throw ball to set lines if not climbing it if you Are climbing your already up there start there and if not sure of it get someone who is to do better safe then sorry:msp_ohmy:

I'm in NW Florida and have plenty of sand pines here too, in fact, they are my bread and butter on removals. They obviously grow in loose, sandy soil and have very little in the way of a tap root, therefore are subject to lean or fall any time the ground gets wet and we get a little wind. Most of the big ones left here have a permanent northwesterly lean from back to back hurricanes Kate and Elena back in '85. ANY TIME there is a danger of a house, fence or anything else jumping into my LZ, I use a pull line. I know there are hotshots out there that think they can drop every tree on a dime and in a perfect world maybe so, but sooner or later..........stuff happens! That stuff can get deep and stinky pretty quick with a strong gust of wind from a bad direction.

so if you aren't sure or don't have a couple like this away from obstacles call someone who does.
11.jpg

12.jpg

15.jpg

12.jpg

Latest posts

Back