A look inside the "While You Wait Woods Port" Husqvarna 395XP

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I remember that discussion as well Brad......that's why I started this thread.

My "normal" numbers or the 395 are 102°, 122°, 82° or very close. This saw had to have the exhaust raised a bunch to get all the divots and bevel out.

OK, thanks for clearing that up. I think my memory was 5* off, lol. You cleaning this cylinder up reminds me of that 3120 I saved. It actually turned out to be a great runner.

I have no doubt the the saw was a good runner before I tore it down...the before specs....

Compression: 170psi
Squish: .033
Exhaust: 100°
Transfers: 126°
Intake: 79°

After......

Compression: 210psi
Squish: .026
Exhaust: 99°
Transfers: 119°
Intake: 82°

Removed .030 from squish band and about .040 from the base.

Randy,

only a 3° change with .040 taken from the base? (I'm not questioning you, just verifying..)

Yeah, it looks like a 'real professional' job that came into your shop :dizzy:

wow....sloppy. ATLEAST they didn't BUGGER the cyl TOO badly...

AND... I ALWAYS wondered what the 1 hr port-job looked like!! Good LORD.. :bang:

Last edited:
OK, thanks for clearing that up. I think my memory was 5* off, lol. You cleaning this cylinder up reminds me of that 3120 I saved. It actually turned out to be a great runner.

I ran this one with a 32" bar buried......It's no slouch. I figured torque might have suffered a little because the exhaust was too high, but the compression seems to make up for that. :)

Randy,

only a 3° change with .040 taken from the base? (I'm not questioning you, just verifying..)

Yeah, it looks like a 'real professional' job that came into your shop :dizzy:

wow....sloppy. ATLEAST they didn't BUGGER the cyl TOO badly...

AND... I ALWAYS wondered what the 1 hr port-job looked like!! Good LORD.. :bang:

That's normal on a saw this size. On smaller saws it seems to change faster. Also I noticed that the transfers move more than the intake and exhaust......something to do with where they are in the stroke.

you guys don't like my porting???

I do ten of those a day and no complaints. Bunch of porting snobs. The 'divots' in the exhaust roof are for exhaust scavenging harmonics. It creates a speed ripple super boost.

Idiots.

I'm trying to remember how that discussion went. Wasn't the guy trying to say how good his cheap, fast port jobs were?

That thread was a ridiculous mess. The fanboy was talking all that junk about how the work was so good, and that anyone paying more was getting ripped off. If that is the kind of work they were doing they must have hosed quite a few folks.

That thread was a ridiculous mess. The fanboy was talking all that junk about how the work was so good, and that anyone paying more was getting ripped off. If that is the kind of work they were doing they must have hosed quite a few folks.

The owner of this saw said it ran great.....he just wanted a compression increase so I ended up with it on the bench. Looks ain't what make it run as we all know...but damn. :laugh:

The owner of this saw said it ran great.....he just wanted a compression increase so I ended up with it on the bench. Looks ain't what make it run as we all know...but damn. :laugh:

Sometimes you get more than you bargain for when you take on a project! The exact opposite was when I went to port a new, but several year old 440 that was bought on eBay, and turned out to have some of the most beautiful port work I've ever seen:clap:

Sometimes you get more than you bargain for when you take on a project! The exact opposite was when I went to port a new, but several year old 440 that was bought on eBay, and turned out to have some of the most beautiful port work I've ever seen:clap:

I remember that. :msp_wink:

That's normal on a saw this size. On smaller saws it seems to change faster. Also I noticed that the transfers move more than the intake and exhaust......something to do with where they are in the stroke.

I'm trying to remember how that discussion went. Wasn't the guy trying to say how good his cheap, fast port jobs were?

If I remember right Brad the guy was saying we charged too dang much..........

Tzed has it right... It was a 'member' talking about a back-woods shop that did repairs 'while you wait...' Sawyers waiting around for this-and-that... Repairs and porting -while-you-wait...:dizzy:

And yes, why do 'all these other' port jobs cost $200-$400???!?! What a Rip-off :bang: :msp_rolleyes:

Latest posts

Back