A nice surprise today from Stihl!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I picked up a new MS460 today for a gentlemen here. Lo and behold if it didn't have a Mahle P&C. As soon as I popped the jug, the difference was immediately noticeable, turned it on it's side and there it was, "MAHLE". Even the piston is much nicer.

1001299142_KqLiq-M.jpg

1001299550_2xfJy-M.jpg

1001299633_fpZJa-M.jpg

1001299258_wUbS4-M.jpg

1001299782_phaHw-M.jpg

1001299902_emdzH-M.jpg

Bare aluminum doesn't reflect the combustion chamber like a mirror. It's coated all the way to the top!

1001299760_pHtgG-M.jpg

1001300155_6fXBS-M.jpg

Well atleast there still putting mahle on some of the saws. Too bad the 660 isn't one of them.

...and I guess you're gonna go in and carve it all up ? LOL :clap:

Newbie here.....so a Mahle cylinder is more desirable?????

For what reason(s)?

Tony Rumore

It would sure be nice if Stihl could put their ring ends in the middle of the intake, like a Husky. But the rings drop down into the intake on most Stihls. It really limits how far you can go with intake and transfer widths.

1001345346_nfXcu-M.jpg

1001345347_Bsj9A-M.jpg

1001345477_DuEG4-M.jpg

Newbie here.....so a Mahle cylinder is more desirable?????

For what reason(s)?

Tony Rumore

Traditionally, they're one of the best P&C manufactures out there. In the past, that's about all you found on pro Stihl saws, as well as most other brands as well. In the last couple years, Stihl has started putting P&Cs from other sources, and the quality has suffered measurably. Many will tell you that they run just fine, which they probably do, but I expect Mahle quality in a pro grade saw.

I'll have to go on a mission now...I think Mahle used to be right over in Bridgeport.....I remember seeing them from the highway when i was a young kid...
Rich:popcorn:

Brad, and I thought they were all going chi-com. ha. ha. Wait til Elvis hears about this.

It sure looks clean as a whistle tho.

Well, for the most part, lookin better at least.

Last edited:
Now who wants to claim that quality doesn't matter?!!! This thing hasn't even seen wood to be broken in yet. And it'll turn 15K at WOT to boot. I've got it turned down to 14K for break-in.

This is with a squish of .019".

1001519620_4ZMtz-M.jpg

Brad, do you think they are installing them on the 660's now as well. or did stihl ever get away from the mahale on the 460's?:monkey:

IMO. id have to be inclined to think that if they are doing it for the 460 then they are doing the same for the 660.

IMO. id have to be inclined to think that if they are doing it for the 460 then they are doing the same for the 660.

This is just one example, and is not the trend. I wouldn't get my hopes up. I just bought a new MS660 a couple weeks ago from the same dealer, and it was not Mahle. Wasn't real pretty either. I posted pics of it as well.

Latest posts

Back