A nice surprise today from Stihl!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow. Thats surprising to me. I just figured a company as big as stihl, would probably award somehting like a contract to mahale for the whole line up.
Not at all to argue your point as you know way more than i do about it. just surprising to me that stihl would be that flexible i guess......? :monkey:

Wow. Thats surprising to me. I just figured a company as big as stihl, would probably award somehting like a contract to mahale for the whole line up.
Not at all to argue your point as you know way more than i do about it. just surprising to me that stihl would be that flexible i guess......? :monkey:

You're not the only one. A lot of us were surprised, and disappointed, when this started. Like mentioned in the first post, Stihl began using non-Mahle P&Cs a couple years ago. We're talking MS260, MS440, MS460, MS660. I'm not sure if the MS361 was always Mahle or not. I believe the MS441 is always Mahle.

Those that have defended Stihls decision to go with something other than Mahle P&Cs on their pro saws, have argued that while it may not be as pretty, it wasn't likely to affect performance. However, I believe this saw, to some extent, shows otherwise. The thing of it is, you'll not find anything but Mahle P&Cs on the competitions pro saws.

Anyway, it was a pleasant surprise to get this one, and the compression is very promising for a real runner.

I dont doubt it one little bit Brad. IMO, which aint much.... I truly believe your right on the money Brad.:agree2:

IMO, I dont think you can blame stihl for wanting thier own. But then again, stihl been doing this for a long time, and I wouldnt be surprised to see mahale on all again.:clap:

However, I believe this saw, to some extent, shows otherwise.

That extent could be argued quite a bit. When a saw is modded, all that goes out the door. The best way to measure is to take a new 460 w/ a Mahle and one with a Stihl and run them. I'll agree some of the newer Stihl cyliders look bad. I have seen some ugly Mahles also, just got one in the mail the other day. Thanks btw!:cheers: If it comes to it, it will be used. Ported, but used.:D

The thing of it is, you'll not find anything but Mahle P&Cs on the competitions pro saws.
I'm sure if they could justify the molds/tooling and had the know how, they would switch. Doing them inhouse would save some $$$. What company would not like to save $$$?

I totally agree that this P&C, in and of itself, doesn't prove anything. But I would pose this question. When's the last time you saw a new MS460, make 180 PSI with the squish only .008 tighter than factory? Squish is the only thing changed on this saw that would affect compression. I also realize that compression is only one factor in the performance of a saw. Normally, I'd be pretty happy to see 160 PSI. Maybe this saw's just a nice fluke:)

Back