A Reply From Stihl

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Porcupine Rider

Porcupine Rider

ArboristSite Lurker
Something just didn't seem to add up & it was bugging me.
So, after doing several searches & spending hours reading oil & gas threads on this forum, I sent the following question to Stihl :

"Your Canadian 2014 catalogue says MotoMix "...maintains stability for up to two yeats (sic.) after the seal is broken". However, MotoMix contains HP Ultra oil which is biodegradable (more than 80% in 21 days time according to your international site). Does this mean that the gasoline portion of the fuel is ok for a long time (up to two years under the appropriate storage conditions) but the lubricating properties of the mix are severly (sic.) diminished after a few weeks (ie. 21 days)? If not, how long are the lubricating properties maintained?"

The reply from their Technical Services dept. was:

".... The Ultra oil is bio gradable (sic.) after the combustions (sic.) process. Until that point it remains stable with full lubrication qualities while suspended in the fuel mix."

Their timely & informative response was a pleasant surprise that may interest others on this site.

Spectre468

Spectre468

ArboristSiteNoob
Thanks for doing that and posting the info. I was wondering the same thing as I am slowly but surely converting over to Motomix. This was one of the main reasons that I had not jumped in both feet. The expense is the other drawback...

z71mike

z71mike

Addicted to ArboristSite
Stihl needs to offer gallon jugs and 5gal pails, and a bulk price. Then it might sell. Can't imagine this venture has been profitable for them at their current price point and quart-only(or whatever it is) offering.

z71mike

z71mike

Addicted to ArboristSite
I think Motomix has its place. A landscaper that burns gallons and gallons a week,no way. The Firetruck that has a couple saws and a Jaws of Life tool and a exhaust fan that probably uses a gallon of gas a year it makes perfect sense.:D
Yes. Not arguing on the sense of it. I've pushed a handful of homeowners to it already.

Still don't think the sometimey homeowner will be able to make that business choice profitable enough for Stihl to maintain the offering. If they came up with an affordable way to start supplying business/commercial.... we all win.

Nate66n1

Nate66n1

Addicted to ArboristSite
Hell between my 084,076 and 075 I can go through two gallons in a couple hours. I used to run motomix when I only had one saw but now I'd be broke if I was still running it.

CRThomas

CRThomas

ArboristSite Guru
Thanks for doiThom in the side bhat and posting the info. I was wondering the same thing as I am slowly but surely converting over to Motomix. This was one of the main reasons that I had not jumped in both feet. The expense is the other drawback...
I only buy can fuel a the Stihl I pickup four or five cans throw them in the side box. When I get thru cutting I put my saws in the box. They start right up. When I go out I cut a cord every day 5 days a week . Just bought a new log hauler with a dump bed on it. I take good care of my equipment I only use what the factory says