A (sort of) Simple Plan

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
clearance said:
Are you for real?, strip and chunk is real fast, if you do it all the time. Couldn't have taken two men more than 4 hours, chipping included. Covered in sap, good for you, good work, sorry about the dealer, sounds like a real mutt, I know a few good ones, lucky I guess.

yeah, I though it was kind of pricey too...

Very nice post. I'm glad to hear all appears to have worked out well in the end. It seems a bit ironic that Stihl bases its entire marketing philosophy on the concept of specialized dealers that provide a one-on-one level of service yet there are numerous complaints on AS regarding how poor their dealer experiences are! I can't comment as I've never visited a Stihl dealer to buy a Stihl saw and I'm sure there are some great dealers out there. The point is that if Stihl relies on its future marketing success resulting from that special feeling of interacting with a reputable dealer, one would think that Stihl would be very rigorous with selection criteria and training of its authorized dealers. If any dealer causes the loss of repeat business from its customers, Stihl should be very concerned. I'm glad I just have a bunch of old Homelites!

Dan

Covered in Sap

Sorry for the mup-mup!

Understand, that while there is a chance that Stihl may never build a saw that will do well in your eyes , ever.

You were dealing with some hired help

If I may, one of the first new Stihl saws that I sold, back in the early 80's , came back a couple days latter , dead, wouldn't start,,,,,,seemed like it had too much compression, spark,,, but had oil in the gas tank, and gas in the oil tank,,,,

Tell me how I would rate?

With a huge smile that it was'nt a defective saw, (the buyer was cutting firewood with family and friends that day) , I reached over and handed him a different new saw from the rack, told him that I think we can keep this our secret, I told him, but he did need to sign a new SN: card, and he finished the day cutting!

When I told my Stihl distributer about the story, there first idea was that I should have charged him to correct his mistake, when I told them that there wasn't any road you can take around here without driving past a few mail-boxes with his last name, as he was a member of a huge extended family, barber shop owner, and a member of the local volunteer fire dept.

Stihl told me to fill out a warranty claim for a carb clean, gave me a credit as I could now re-sale it as a "Recon" saw with a new saw warranty and the saw was sold to that costumers Pastor!

That was all the toe hold I needed back then to gain some dyed in Stihl costumers,,,, in fact, after just that, I couldn't keep "Stihl" ball-caps on the shelves.

This was a long time ago, but the fire dept will still only buy Stihl.

Kevin

stihl dealers

Lakeside53 said:
yeah, I though it was kind of pricey too...

lakeside the stihl dealers seem to be bad here too want to sell you a product but thats about it I like the 90 day warrenty compared to husky and deere/efco's 2 year plan. They also only carry certain modles and don't want to sell the others. I also like the price (last time i looked) they were quite a bit more than the others.
I had bad luck with stihl i hate the handling and they were plaged with minor problems for a while in the past. Most of us hated working on them as it seemed you had to tear the whole saw apart to do anything to it. (bad as mcculloch):angry2:

stihl dealers

:cry:
ShoerFast said:
Covered in Sap

Sorry for the mup-mup!

Understand, that while there is a chance that Stihl may never build a saw that will do well in your eyes , ever.

If I may, one of the first new Stihl saws that I sold, back in the early 80's , came back a couple days latter , dead, wouldn't start,,,,,,seemed like it had too much compression, spark,,, but had oil in the gas tank, and gas in the oil tank,,,,

With a huge smile that it was'nt a defective saw, (the buyer was cutting firewood with family and friends that day) , I reached over and handed him a different new saw from the rack, told him that I think we can keep this our secret, I told him, but he did need to sign a new SN: card, and he finished the day cutting!

When I told my Stihl distributer about the story, there first idea was that I should have charged him to correct his mistake, when I told them that there wasn't any road you can take around here without driving past a few mail-boxes with his last name, as he was a member of a huge extended family, barber shop owner, and a member of the local volunteer fire dept.

Stihl told me to fill out a warranty claim for a carb clean, gave me a credit as I could now re-sale it as a "Recon" saw with a new saw warranty and the saw was sold to that costumers Pastor!

That was all the toe hold I needed back then to gain some dyed in Stihl costumers,,,, in fact, after just that, I couldn't keep "Stihl" ball-caps on the shelves.

Kevin

while there is a few good stihl dealers i am sure. in there defence there is a lot of people selling saws and employees who are not knowlegable. and some places that only want to sell product not repair service. we see more and more of that. In other brands its the local hardware store as non servicing dealers :cry:

havvey said:
lakeside the stihl dealers seem to be bad here too want to sell you a product but thats about it I like the 90 day warrenty compared to husky and deere/efco's 2 year plan. They also only carry certain modles and don't want to sell the others. I also like the price (last time i looked) they were quite a bit more than the others.
I had bad luck with stihl i hate the handling and they were plaged with minor problems for a while in the past. Most of us hated working on them as it seemed you had to tear the whole saw apart to do anything to it. (bad as mcculloch):angry2:

Interesting... I guess it depends on where you live for all types of equipment dealers... My nearest Echo dealers are a joke (Ace Hardware and Home Depots), my John Deere dealers are mad because of Home Depot, three of the nearby Stihl dealers are Rental Companies that don't service unless you twist their arm (and don't think of handing them a 20 year old saw... and that's why customers come to us), and it's almost impossible to get a non Stihl/Husky serviced anywhere close by.

Stihl warranty is 1 year for non-commercial use up to MS361's, 90 days for Commercial. We almost never see any warranty issues and as for working on them, yes, the old saws were more painful (as were all other brands then) but since about 1988 they have been a breeze... except for the infamous 191 and 19T!! Of course, after you done a few they are all easy, no matter what brand.

Somebody made the comment that Stihl should be more selective in who they choose for dealers and keep the training and standards high... yes, they should, and within limits, do so... but it only takes the lowest link in the chain to mess up the Dealers name. Hired help is the dealers resonsibility. If anyone has a bad experience with a Stihl or any dealer, talk to the owner, and if the owner is the problem, write to Stihl. It will filter down...

ShoerFast said:
Covered in Sap

Sorry for the mup-mup!

Kevin
Thats great! , out of your way service . A++ to you . Keeps them comming back and word of mouth sales . BUT , my statement is: Thats YOU ! The next is Not directed at you , There are other dealers that do that too like Husqvarna and such . My questions is what make a Shihl dealer(s) so great ? Why so much "Stihl dealers are the best" Its the one store that makes the difference not the name STIHL . I have nothing aginst Stihl chainsaws but Because Stihl dont sell on line and my local 3 dealers suck, Stihl never gave me a chance to buy there saw . I think Stihl is like any other dealer and no better ! It has to do with the one store and who runs it and who work in that store. Someone said the Stihl dealer service problem was " hired help" ya , so now they are Home Depots ? It said that there are 1000's of great Stihl dealers with top of the line service . Ya , well so does Husqvarna, so does Dairy Queen . I have never had a problem with Dairy Queen ice cream or there stores so sence i have had problems with Stihl stores/dealers that must make Dairy Queen "Better service" Thats sad. Whats the difference ? $5. or $500. There still both sales and both have service . Remember that I'm talking SERVICE , stores , sales , dealers the people that work there . Now if you are a Stihl dealer and do your job right , great service ect ... Super ! You are on your way and will be around for a long time as I'm sure some have already been around for a long time too , Just like any other business out there. Stihl has nothing to do with it !! Its the people that run the business that has every thing to do with it in what ever business that you are in . So to me the big "STIHL" name dont mean squat. No name means squat if you dont have the product AND the service . I got better service from a Husqvarna on line dealer in 10 minutes than i did in my 3 local Stihl dealers in 3 days . Again has nothing to do with Stihl or Husqvarna it has to do with the dealer. I found one that will serve me well and i was able to buy on line ( Husqvarna Dealer )

Last edited:
Lakeside53 said:
Interesting... I guess it depends on where you live for all types of equipment dealers...

Somebody made the comment that Stihl should be more selective in who they choose for dealers and keep the training and standards high... yes, they should, and within limits, do so... but it only takes the lowest link in the chain to mess up the Dealers name. Hired help is the dealers resonsibility. If anyone has a bad experience with a Stihl or any dealer, talk to the owner, and if the owner is the problem, write to Stihl. It will filter down...

Well said.

Thats ok,

I was at an ISA convention a few years ago looking at a Stihl display, and asked a regional representative about a saw issue. This guy flipped out on me, and I lost it. I told him something to the effect of: "That :censored: a$$holes like you pi$$ me off, and no wonder Stihl has the reputation it does. I never patronize a Stihl product again!!" Then I walked away because I was about to beat the living $hit out him,:censored:!

Husky288XP said:
Thats ok,

I was at an ISA convention a few years ago looking at a Stihl display, and asked a regional representative about a saw issue. This guy flipped out on me, and I lost it. I told him something to the effect of: "That :censored: a$$holes like you pi$$ me off, and no wonder Stihl has the reputation it does. I never patronize a Stihl product again!!" Then I walked away because I was about to beat the living $hit out him,:censored:!
Hmmm, he must have got that attitude from the ISA holier than thou vibes that must have been floating around, sounds like a mutt. Please do not let this become a Stihl dealers are losers/gods rantfest. It is really about one man who did something good despite all the BS he faced, good for him.

Great documented post coveredinsap, a good read too. Gald you found something that worked (gald???lol, I'm leaving that one lol). Personally I think it is a shame that people selling power equipment of any kind can get away with being so ill-informed (and so snottily arrogant), it means the folks hiring them aren't doing their homework either, and the people they hire aren't willing to put in the time to do their homework and learn about their product (relying on reputation, not knowlege). It is also up to the end-user to do their homework too, which in my opinion, makes sites like AS such a valuable resource (despite all the bickering) for the un-informed.
And as an afterthought, yup, that there tree died of water starvation; cedars that size need many gallons of water a day, construction, root trauma, deprevation, can all lead to demise.
Blantheringly 0.02$ worth,
Me
:givebeer: or cider, either will do.

clearance said:
Please do not let this become a Stihl dealers are losers/gods rantfest. It is really about one man who did something good despite all the BS he faced, good for him.
I think the whole point WAS the dealer and the BS . Nothing wrong with this thread and what its about. Thats the idea of the forum just as long as its stays under control. I have read many threads about other dealers/seller ( home depot , lowes , Husqvarna , ect , ect.. ) and it was never a problem. It happed to be a Stihl dealer (again) and now its " We dont want to talk about it" :cheers:

It all comes back to the same old thing...there are dealers and there are saw shops. They're not always the same thing. I've run Stihl for years and I'll probably keep on because my local saw shop is an excellent one. There are a couple of dealers in my area that are just that...dealers. They want to sell you a saw and never see you again. Good for the occasional jug of bar oil if I'm in the neighborhood but not much else. A good saw shop is getting to be harder and harder to find but there won't be any doubt in your mind when you do find one.
Nice post and pics by the way...quite a project and as a fellow NorCal I understand the hoops you had to jump through.:cheers:

Great LaPosta Husky 455!!

Funny thing happened while reading this post. It seems as if someone has forgotten to tell this man what a bad selection the Husky 455 is. I have not heard a good thing about this saw since I first joined. I may make this saw a possible candidate!! Ken

kenskip1@verizo said:
Funny thing happened while reading this post. It seems as if someone has forgotten to tell this man what a bad selection the Husky 455 is. I have not heard a good thing about this saw since I first joined. I may make this saw a possible candidate!! Ken

I think he made good choice. Why would he buy something huge and heavy duty to mill ONE cedar tree. He'll be able to use the 455 for pretty much anything for a long time

P.S. my local stihl dealer stinks. Too...

Funny thing happened today. Was in lowes picking up some new sparkplugs. While standing to ask a sales person to use a tape measure so I could measure the double bit axe cutting blade length. I over heard a dad (about my age) and his 15-17 year old son trying to buy some chainsaw chain for a stihl 170 and 250 that they had just bought in september 2005. The sales person had no clue and I told them how to get what they needed. From all the information that I have learned from this site. I then told them about this site and the web address. I then ask why dont they run the stihl chain and just go to their dealer and pick it up. Well it turns out to be the same BAD stihl dealer I am always putting down on here. They said they had troubles with the 250 from the time they got it and the 170 started giving them troubles 90 days later. They said the stihl salesman treated them nice during the sale and taking their money. But when returning for their warrenty work questions and trying to buy chains. They act like they just left a dog turd on their floor and treat them like crap. I told them about when I tried to purchase a honda tiller and saw from them once and how I felt they treat people like dirt too. I then told him about the little dealer 25 miles away that sales dolmar and echo brands and backs everything up with people treatment too. The guy said he would never deal with stihl again and would tell others of his nitemares of Fackler stihl dealer ohio. They said in the past he had always ran echos and never had nothing bad to say. But finally decided it was time to replace the 20 year old work horse. Stated he bought the stihls because of the reputation. Well now they have another sour mouth to run from when the talking starts. I know he only bought homeowner saws, but he cuts very little wood and homeowners we are. The worst dealer service ever, RUN beware they want your money, but not your service AFTER THE SALE.
FACKLER EQUIPMENT CO
653 Home Rd N
Mansfield, OH 44906-2361

Last edited:
Back