A (sort of) Simple Plan

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
woodfarmer said:
the largest saws in most of the dealers here in my area is the 390, if i travel two or three hours north those dealers might have a 440. stihl is only pushing the orange handle models.

Stihl (the company) doesn't push anything... the local independent dealers decide what to buy to meet the specific needs of their market. We don't stock everything (why stock an MS880 for 4 sales a year?), but we can get it overnight... Same with blowers and weed eaters / brushcutters - way to many models to carry in the store, but we sell them...

Last edited:
Ya know, this is why there is more than one brand of saw...similar to why there is more than one brand of automobile. I won't buy a Ford because of the local dealership. I took one vehicle back three times for one problem under warranty...the last two times, I told them what the problem was. The second trip, they ignored me. The third time, they fixed it. Is Ford a bad car?

We have a chainsaw dealer around here that everyone I've talked to swears he is half kin to a mule. He doesn't sell Stihl...is the brand that he sells inferior?

It's funny to me that the name of the saw was mentioned, but the name of the dealer was omitted. Sounds like simple brand bashing to me.

I had mentioned before that i had thought of starting a dealership to compete with the poor service of the other local dealers and if I do it will be a stihl dealership these saws have been proven through the years and any good dealer (including myself) should represent their product with the same quality of what they sell before and after the sale I dont know how many farmers have 038 and 032 that have seen more hedge posts than the ones around here if dealers would be like the product they sell there would not be a problem no matter what brand

I have seen this before

Can't blame you for going for a Husky.
Maybe should have had a saw better suited for the vibration.
Maybe there was a defect....

But that turkey should have taken care of it pronto!
My dealer I am sure would have. The 7 day thing fer-sure.

-Pat

[Come on... there are 8000 INDEPENDENT Stihl dealers, and you just put them all in the same boat...

Thats right, only 7950 of them totally suck!!!! I'm sure there is 1 good one per state.

Come on... there are 8000 INDEPENDENT Stihl dealers, and you just put them all in the same boat...
I dont think anybody put them in the same boat . I talked about my local 3 . The other guy talked about his local store , some one else talked about his . It just seems to be adding up and now you see it as all stores . I never said a word about your local Stihl dealer (you) and dont think anybody else did either. Someone else also mentioned "brand bashing" Well if you read the first post the guy had a problem with "his local Stihl dealer" and what he did about it. This is not a thread about Wal-Mart the local Stihl dealer was the topic , so ..........that what we are talking about. "LOCAL STIHL DEALER" Anyone got a story on your "LOCAL HUSQVARNA DEALER" start a thread. Again about brand bashing someone mentioned, i dont think the buyer has a story because the buyer is a moron , i think the buyer has a story because how how the store treated them. So any store that gets bashed is because of the stores own doing. ( not that its all 100% true 100% of the time ) BUT there was a problem . So here we sit . Throwing the gab about what happen to us locally on the topic of Stihl. Its all good brother man , Have a seat. :cheers:

Last edited:
salers service

Hi all i want to add that around here the problem also seems to be the CHAINSAW REPAIR IS GOING OUT the shops/dealers/sales will sell some parts supplies and light repair, chain plug, rewind, etc. But the attitude is if it needs a lot of work (ie broken crankshaft) throw it and buy a new one.
this is not ment to bash any dealers but seems to be the trend with appliances and many other items. The end result seems to be lack of qulified or willing repair people I have seem many saws down for a simple problem (to me) i have bought and fixed them used them sold them. good luck all:cry: :cheers: :jawdrop:

Rspike said:
I dont think anybody put them in the same boat . I talked about my local 3 . The other guy talked about his local store , some one else talked about his . It just seems to be adding up and now you see it as all stores.

I did talk (typed actually) negatively about my local dealer. That was the one closest to my house though. I found one about an hour away that was as good as gold though! Of course, he was out in the country. Folks out in the sticks seem to take a little more time to help someone out, even if that someone is a total stranger.

I purchased a brand new 088 Stihl back in 2000 for felling timber. I was sure proud of it. The second tank of fuel, running the proper mix she throwed a rod, right through the side. The dealer told me it was my fault because I was using the saw for commercial operations. I was fuming, been running saws for 20 years and never had one blow like that 088 did. I wrote one onery letter to Stihl and was contacted by a fellow that spoke broken english. He told me I would get a new saw and he kept his promise, but it wasn't sent to the dealer I purchased the first one from. I had to go 80 miles to get it, but it was worth it, So, contact the right people about warrenty problems and 9 times out of 10 you will get results.:)

Rspike said:
I think the whole point WAS the dealer and the BS . Nothing wrong with this thread and what its about. Thats the idea of the forum just as long as its stays under control. I have read many threads about other dealers/seller ( home depot , lowes , Husqvarna , ect , ect.. ) and it was never a problem. It happed to be a Stihl dealer (again) and now its " We dont want to talk about it" :cheers:

I'd like to talk about it and I'm a Stihl dealer, one that would have caught that cracked 390 before it left the store. It looks as though it was cracked right out of the box and should never have been sold in the first place. If it did crack afterwards I would have given the man a huge OH MAN, THAT SUCKS and handed him his money back or replaced the saw, whichever he wanted. I too would have told him before he bought it its not really designed for milling purposes beings its a homeowner saw to begin with. He met a poor dealer for sure and there was no excuse what so ever on the dealer's part to treat him the way he did.
As for your notion "it happened to be a Stihl dealer (again)" sorta tells me you may think only Stihl has such dealers. I must inform you of a story much worse than the mans cracked 390 and the dealer was not Stihl but Husky. There is a big differance in being given a hard time at a dealer and being completely screwed by a dealer. The man and his 390/dealer issue was awful, no question about it. I hate such stories of dealers because pricks like them give all dealers a bad name. I must say however the man did get his money back although the treatment he took to get it was totally uncalled for. There are worse dealers, ones that won't give you back your money no matter what.
How would you feel if you took your saw in for repair and recieved it back totally unassmebled in a box with a bill for 86.00 and a dealer telling you he can't fix it? Accepting that as ok and then giving the same dealer another saw to repair and to recieve it back the exact sameway, totally unassembled and in a box but this time the bill is 90.00 and the dealer claiming he can't fix it. This is exactly what took place at a Husky dealer not too far from my area not to long ago. The customer is a good friend of mine and he blew his stack in that dealers showroom. He called that dealer every name in the book and topped it by saying you SOB you have charged me almost 200.00 and you haven't fixed a dayumm thing yet. Needless to say the dealer went on the offenisve and demanded his money. After some choice words my buddy went ahead and paid the guy, something I wouldn't had done. After paying the man with tempers still running high the dealer tells my buddy to get out of his store. Unfortantly my friend didn't go anywhere and continued to cuss the guy and dare him outside. Both were fumming mad. It gets worse. My friend had ordered a part a week or so before. After a long stare down he told the dealer just let my buy the part I ordered so I can get the hell out of here. To his suprise the dealer refuse to sell it to him and told him he wasn't sellling him nothing. Another cussing match took place and finally my buddy walked out.
He reported this whole ordeal to Husqvarna and in a week or so he recieved a box on his porch. In it was a hat and pen from Husqvarna thanking him for his patronage. That was their way of resolving the whole issue.
My buddy sent one of those disassemble saws to Baileys with the story behind it and they reassmeble it and fix it and charged him , get this, $12.00
They said it only needed minor adjustments. So should I say it happened to be Husqvarna (again) as you have said of Stihl? Fact is there are good and bad dealers all over the country and they all sell different brands. I will say flat out this is the very worst of any dealer I've ever seen and it happened to be a Husky dealer. He cheated, screwed the man, kept the money and then cussed him and refused to even sell a part out of spite. I heard horror stories but that one takes the case. Do I blame Husky, not at all, I blame that "one" dealer, not all the Husky dealers. Like you said about the "Husky thanks you" slur let me say this is a story that put many Stihl saws out of my store onto my buddy's truck. He has gotton rid of every Husky he owns and now has a truck full of Stilhs and he couldn't be happier with saws and the service I provide him. So should I , like you, say Stihl thanks you, I think not. I thank no one for the ordeal that took place but I am glad to have been the other guy on the block to pick up some new business from, not the fault of a saw company, but of a poor dealer.
All companies have bad dealers out there, not just one, but all. Its not a Stihl again issue or a Husky again issue its a issue period for all companies. There is good and bad in everything and dealers are no exception no matter what brand they are selling...............

It's too bad that we sometimes judge the product by the people who sell them. There will always be lousy dealers and there will always be that occasional defective product that never should leave the store, it really doesn't matter what brand. I had a recent experience with two local stihl dealers. The first was going to sell me a used 028 super for $215.00 after he finished some minor repairs. After 3 weeks of waiting for a phone call I decided to drop by the 2nd dealers shop. ( had never been there before ) He happened to have a used (one owner ) 034 super for $225.00. after some conversation about what I wanted to do with the saw we decided it was a good fit and I agreed to buy it. I was then treated to a complete walkthrough of the saw and then taken back to the repair area to be shown how to watch for chain/bar wear and how to properly file my chain when neccessary! I got a good saw, a fair price, and great service. Both saws would have suited my needs-however only one dealer was able to provide the service I needed. What could have wound up as another crappy experience instead led me to my new dealer of choice. Shopping around isn't just about price!

NewbieDave said:
It's too bad that we sometimes judge the product by the people who sell them. There will always be lousy dealers and there will always be that occasional defective product that never should leave the store, it really doesn't matter what brand. I had a recent experience with two local stihl dealers. The first was going to sell me a used 028 super for $215.00 after he finished some minor repairs. After 3 weeks of waiting for a phone call I decided to drop by the 2nd dealers shop. ( had never been there before ) He happened to have a used (one owner ) 034 super for $225.00. after some conversation about what I wanted to do with the saw we decided it was a good fit and I agreed to buy it. I was then treated to a complete walkthrough of the saw and then taken back to the repair area to be shown how to watch for chain/bar wear and how to properly file my chain when neccessary! I got a good saw, a fair price, and great service. Both saws would have suited my needs-however only one dealer was able to provide the service I needed. What could have wound up as another crappy experience instead led me to my new dealer of choice. Shopping around isn't just about price!

Good post, you did the right thing. Too much weight sunk the great Titantic and it sunk that dealer you were waiting on, good for you. I sell saws at the display all the time but my most favorite time is taking the shoppers through the shop area and back in what I call the storage area. Its just a room full of fully assemble Stihl ready to be sold, tons of it. The shoppers seem to be in heaven back in a clean shop area and storage area. They, like you did, enjoy learning a few things and we like showing them. Glad all work out for you except one thing, you was in the wrong shop. Rather had you in mine, grrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Thanks for all the comments. There were many interesting posts both pro and con.

However...anything further that I could say on the subject would only be, uh....highly biased :)

....Other than that the apparently severely underrated Husky 455 Rancher milling machine is still going strong, and I'm almost to the halfway point.

(By the way, the Husky distributor where I got the saw said that their return policy was 30 days for exchange or full refund.)

How would you characterize the dealership? Size wise, products they sold?

My experience has been the big power equipment dealers the ones that sell: Stihl, echo, cub cadet, kawasaki, polaris, yamaha, honda, lawnboy, ariens all in the same store are the dealers that stick it to ya in a bad way when it comes to parts and service. They're too busy selling high dollar items to give you a moments notice or think about taking care of your warranty issue.

Invariably the Best dealers I ever come across are the ones that sell saws, just saws, and it always helps if there's only one guy in the place and he's in the back, off the sales floor working on a repair when you come in. Or if the same guy has been opening up shop everyday for the last 40 years, thats really the best.

It's the same way with tractor and auto parts. But, maybe that's just rural life and you don't have the option of those kinds of dealers around??? I don't know. They know what kind of equipment I use and am working on and often anticipate what I need.

I think Scott has a good point. Of the four Stihl dealers I have near me ( 30 minute drives or less ), one of them is a rent-all store with heavier equipment as well as saws. Their time is more divided between other business and they don't rely on saws for most of their income. This area is rural and fairly heavily forrested and I think the residents use their tools more and know more about their tools, therefore the dealers have to be on top of their game. Some are more than others. Coveredinsap definitely got a raw deal and I hope that he might have the opportunity to try a different Stihl dealer in the future. I'm curious, was this the only Stihl dealer available and would you consider it to be an "urban" dealer vs. a "country" dealer? Multi-brand store or specialty store?

...but it is always good to hear of people making good use of their trees rather than just landfill.

Yes, and I'm starting to draw a crowd (of neighbors walking by) while milling. Hopefully they're bothered by the noise, and hopefully it will make them think twice about calling the city on me in the future regarding trees. (i.e. See that huge 100' Monterey Pine you don't like? Now imagine how long the chainsaw mill will be running to mill that beast.)

As for the Dealership(s)

The Stihl dealership is a Stihl and Echo products only store...mowers to chainsaws and all manner of gas-powered tools in between.

The Husky dealership is a mom-and-pop owned lumber store that competes against Home Depot and caters largely to the local building contractors and vineyard management crowd.

The area would be considered a agricultural area, with grape growing/wine production the major industry. There are a few small cities...nothing major in this county, though.

was this the only Stihl dealer available

To be completely honest...regarding other Stihl dealerships that may be in the area (and this is just my own opinion formed by that one experience):

I'm not really interested in finding out. Why would I want to put any effort into purchasing another product from a company after just paying high prices for a substandard product with lousy service and sleazy sales tactics? I'd rather chop down a tree with an axe :)

coveredinsap said:
To be completely honest...regarding other Stihl dealerships that may be in the area (and this is just my own opinion formed by that one experience):

I'm not really interested in finding out. Why would I want to put any effort into purchasing another product from a company after just paying high prices for a substandard product with lousy service and sleazy sales tactics? I'd rather chop down a tree with an axe :)

I think if you look around, including the responses on this thread, you will find that the product isn't the problem, its the dealer. There are good and bad dealers for all brands. Your dealer is an idiot, and should never have let that saw go out the door when considering the intended use, and the fact the cracked oil tank, was likely a factory defect. You will find good dealers and bad dealers for all brands, and you will find good products and bad products in all lines. Neither the MS 310 or the 455 Rancher are the best product Stihl or Husky supplies, so to compare the 310 to a 372XP, we could say the 310 is crap, so Husky must be good. Conversely, we could say the 455 Rancher compared to a MS440 or MS460, doesn't put up much of a showing, so all Huskies must be crap and Stihl must be good. Blanket statements that all Stihl or Husky dealers, or saws are crap or good, cannot be true. They both have good dealers and bad dealers, and good saws and bad saws. Some here are very loyal to Stihl, because they have a good dealer. Others are very loyal to Husqvarna because their dealer for that brand is good.

A good dealer will make the product look better, while a bad dealer will make the product look like crap. Don't blame the product for the idiot selling it when you run into a bad dealer. If you had found a good Stihl dealer instead of this idiot you were unfortunate enough to have run into, you likely would have glowing praises for Stihl instead of the negative opinion of Stihl as a whole, because one of their dealers is useless.

TimberPig said:
I think if you look around, including the responses on this thread, you will find that the product isn't the problem, its the dealer. There are good and bad dealers for all brands. Your dealer is an idiot, and should never have let that saw go out the door when considering the intended use, and the fact the cracked oil tank, was likely a factory defect. You will find good dealers and bad dealers for all brands, and you will find good products and bad products in all lines....

So true TimberPig.... yet again a very big difference between Stihl and Husky is that I could buy a Husky at a box store or online from various sellers where I can find prices well below retail. I have no choice but to go to a dealer to buy a Stihl. If Stihl wants to continue this policy, they should make sure their dealers make this arrangement worth the difference. In other words, Husky can afford to have poor dealers and still sell saws. Stihl has all its eggs in one basket in this regard.

Dan

lesorubcheek said:
So true TimberPig.... yet again a very big difference between Stihl and Husky is that I could buy a Husky at a box store or online from various sellers where I can find prices well below retail. I have no choice but to go to a dealer to buy a Stihl. If Stihl wants to continue this policy, they should make sure their dealers make this arrangement worth the difference. In other words, Husky can afford to have poor dealers and still sell saws. Stihl has all its eggs in one basket in this regard.

Dan

Stihl has them in 8000 baskets... and growing. Neither dealer can afford poor dealers, no matter what the sales strategy.

Back