A Tale of Three Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like it's my saws that are so filthy. They sat around while we ran yours:clap:

881666642_ZqoY5-M.jpg

881666289_XPFMY-M.jpg

881666316_Kmumz-M.jpg

881666533_S5HTd-M.jpg

881666101_6vAks-M.jpg

881666504_NqiY2-M.jpg

Excellent test, Brad. That you were able to get nice power out of the not-so-great Stihl jug is a testament to your porting skills.

Maybe you already posted this somewhere -- it's been a long, meandering, thread -- but what were the final compression & port timing specs on the two big saws ?

Ya know, I look at that big log you used for testing and think "it's a shame not to mill that into lumber.":laugh: I'm surprised you didn't use your 084 to knock out a cant ?

Excellent test, Brad. That you were able to get nice power out of the not-so-great Stihl jug is a testament to your porting skills.

Maybe you already posted this somewhere -- it's been a long, meandering, thread -- but what were the final compression & port timing specs on the two big saws ?

Ya know, I look at that big log you used for testing and think "it's a shame not to mill that into lumber.":laugh: I'm surprised you didn't use your 084 to knock out a cant ?

Compression is somewhere back in the thread. I'm thinking they were 158/160? The Stihl being the 160.

Exhaust and transfer timing didn't change. I did lower the intakes a little.

I did use the 084 with 50" bar to slab the sides. Unfortunately, I pinched the rails on that bar a little too much on it when I refurbed it, and when it gets hot, it binds the chain. I'm going to have to work on it some more. I used my new 440 to slab the top and bottom. There's no way I could have handles that 084 for all of that.

Last edited:
Watcha on about? Isn't that how they're meant to look? ;)

Rain and woodchips, my favourite...not...

there are few things I hate more than rain and humidity.... You never get rain when you want it and always do when you don't. The humidity, well that just makes for suffering. It should rain for 2 or 3 hours between 3:00 and 6:00 am 3 or 4 times a week. After that, I want a low dewpoint and sunny skies.

Nice comparison. I'm glad you took time to do it. Just wish you had a 394/5 to add to the mix.

Nice comparison. I'm glad you took time to do it. Just wish you had a 394/5 to add to the mix.

Yeah in hindsight it would have been great to include a 395XP. Ah well. If I win the lottery I'll do it all again with about 10 saws :cheers:

Well hurry up and win. That's what I'm hoping for myself. I just have to remember to play.

The finish is black oxide. Hind sight's 20/20. I should have had him do the dawg bolts and bar nuts as well.

This should make you a good limbing saw Matt:clap. 20" bar and 8-pin rim.

I'm nicknaming it "Black Mak"

881703289_LHab2-M.jpg

881702508_GZEVr-M.jpg

881703381_5Do5B-M.jpg

881702856_34pnr-M.jpg

881702923_2D5k7-M.jpg

881703266_snang-M.jpg

Last edited:
The finish is black oxide. Hind sight's 20/20. I should have had him do the dawg bolts and bar nuts as well.

This should make you a good limbing saw Matt:clap. 20" bar and 8-pin rim.

I'm nicknaming it "Black Mak"

I've got a tear in my eye :cry:

Someone even managed to include Darth Vader in it too...

Thanks guys...

Sniff.

Sniff :cheers:

That looks pretty trick. Like a "sleeper" saw.

Latest posts

Back