A Tale of Three Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
question for everyone, my dealer will not work on a modded saw. What is the amount of dealers that will work on one ???

doing all these mods might make the saw run quicker,etc, but do you guys with modded saws have a hard time getting work done on your saws, if you can not handle the repairs in house ??

Last edited:
question for everyone, my dealer will not work on a modded saw. What is the amount of dealers that will work on one ???

doing all these mods might make the saw run quicker,etc, but do you guys with modded saws have a hard time getting work done on your saws, if you can not handle the repairs in house ??

If you are modding saws and still expecting a warranty then I can see why a dealer wouldn't work on it - however in this day and age if dealers want to give good service they should work on ALL saws, even if they have to tell the owner that whoever did the porting is an idiot and they'll never get it running properly. I'm sure they've seen some shocking backyard port jobs...

i did not say anything about under warranty, just if a modded saw needs work, will a dealer work on being modded??

There is a lot to consider with a modded saw, the usuall dealer has no clue what to do with a modded saw.

i did not say anything about under warranty, just if a modded saw needs work, will a dealer work on being modded??

There is a lot to consider with a modded saw, the usuall dealer has no clue what to do with a modded saw.

I didn't say you had said anything but I know it is a concern with dealers. As far as working on a modded saw goes though, the only difference is the way it need to be tuned. All the other parts are basically the same (on a normal wood's port anyway). Apart from maybe an unlimited coil or something.

Same 2 stroke concept, nothing changes except the tuning, the saw drinks a little bit more, and makes more noise.

My dealer works on everything. I make sure he has smoke(cigs) money$ when we leave :)

Dealer shouldnt worry about the saw being modded.

I am asking as many people on here prob dont really know how to work on their saws on a detailed amount.

I am sure their are many guys that "purchashed" modifications and they do not have the ability to diagnose probs if and when they come up.

tuning can be difficult as we all know

The sentence would work just as well without the "modded" part.
It's always a good idea to know enough to know if your dealer/mechanic is ripping you off.

Mike

Very true!! If your out in the bush and your carb adjustment needs a little tickle? What will you do?

Pack up your day and go home?

Keep running the saw and hope you don't damage it?

Or learn how to tune it and keep working?

I know "professional" log cutters that can't even tune a saw...

LOL. Me too!

I know quite a few that can't, worse yet is I know even more who think they can. :laugh:

One logger in particular drives about an hour and forty five minutes one way, past about 5 other shops to have his saws worked on and quite often its just to have the air filter cleaned and the carb adjusted. :dizzy:.... but I like customers like him, I've tried several times to show him how to adjust the carb but he absolutely refuses to touch the saw for anything beyond the bar, chain, and sprocket... says he'd rather pay me to do it and know its right. :cheers:

Latest posts

Back