A Tale of Three Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
QUOTE=blsnelling;2240638]That about sums up my boring life:cheers:[/QUOTE]

Well, maybe you can hire some models to catch cookies for you. Might cure your bordom and make some great videos even better,:cheers:

Stihly, now your just adding to the circle jerk:hmm3grin2orange:

Stihly, now your just adding to the circle jerk:hmm3grin2orange:

Busted! :D :D

Seriously though, I could hook Brad up here in Ely, where it's all about earthiness. Babes that look REALLY good in the bar, but when you get them home and undressed, they have hair not only down under, but on their legs, under their arms, and on their backs.

I'm continually relieved that I am happily married to a woman who knows the value of a razor when it comes to personal grooming. If I was back out on the market among these Ely Yetis, I'd give sex up totally. Who wants to mate with a chick that has more hair and body odor than I do? :chainsawguy:

Oh wait, was that off topic? Golly, what a shock! :blob2:

Thanks for the explainer, MCW. Even though I've been a saw guy for a long time, there are times I feel I'm struggling to understand all the insider stuff on this forum. Your explanation was worthwhile and welcome.

Props to you! :cheers:

No worries mate :cheers: I would have LOVED to throw a stock 7900/7901 into the mix but by the time myself and Brad talked about the 390/660 plan the 7901 had already been completed. I can tell you now though a stock 7900, as good as it is, would struggle against a 390XP or MS660. Another thing too is that even though a modded 7900 will pull even 42" bars quite convincingly in hardwood the oiler will not keep up. If you plan on running any bars over 32" for extended periods, particularly in harder woods, then the 7900 is not the saw to choose. I know my 390XPG pumps out plenty of oil on a 32" bar.

Not in my little orange world :)

But you have to buy the new 7900 then get it ported which costs even more $ if your not a DIYer. Just so it will outcut the stock 90ccs
But you could still come out with less $ invested than the other new saws.
That is with new saws, I realize the HD kitas and the Mahle kit can be a good deal
Power to weight ratio comes into the equation also. So the 7900 may shine

Thats my .03$ worth.

Carry on. Im interested in seeing the end result

Another thing too though mate is overall saw weight although balance does come into it as well. With a standard (non lightweight) 32" bar a 7900 is nose heavy but still OK I've found for all day use. The 390XP, although it has a heavier powerhead, actually doesn't "feel" heavier after using one all day, even though it is actually heavier. The 390XP balances far better with longer bars.
The mods and the Dolmar HD filter kit are certainly things you need to factor into a 7900's overall cost though if you are considering one over a 390XP or MS660. There won't be much in it apart from the weight. If you want to spend the extra $100-150 on getting a pop up done like the 7901 in this thread then that makes a difference to the cost too. I'll let Brad mention pricing but the overall cost is quite attractive if rebuilding an ex rental 6401 with a 7900 P&C like in this case.

Good point on the balance, Matt

They are all good saws. IMO
Dealer support sways my opinion though.

Brad, you could be porting instead of posting :D

Just came home for lunch to watch that video. The Makita is most certainly a strong saw thats for sure.
I suppose if anybody has a 7900 and has been thinking of jumping up to the 90cc class they should seriously consider getting their 7900 modded - at least we can all get some appreciation of just how good modded saws can be, not only 7900's. Although this 7901 has been taken a tad further than average I suspect even a basic wood's ported 7900/7901 with no pop up would be level pegging a 390XP/MS660 with up to maybe a 28" bar.
I can assure you that a properly modded saw will have no more reliability issues than a stock saw.

Just came home for lunch to watch that video. The Makita is most certainly a strong saw thats for sure.
I suppose if anybody has a 7900 and has been thinking of jumping up to the 90cc class they should seriously consider getting their 7900 modded - at least we can all get some appreciation of just how good modded saws can be, not only 7900's. Although this 7901 has been taken a tad further than average I suspect even a basic wood's ported 7900/7901 with no pop up would be level pegging a 390XP/MS660 with up to maybe a 28" bar.
I can assure you that a properly modded saw will have no more reliability issues than a stock saw.

Matt we may be running my stock 7900 and EHP7900 against the other saws. I can't promise this, but we'll see what we can do in the next few days.:cheers:

Matt we may be running my stock 7900 and EHP7900 against the other saws. I can't promise this, but we'll see what we can do in the next few days.:cheers:

Good stuff Andy. I just hope that Brad doesn't have to fell about 100 acres of forest to get enough wood for the comparos :)

I was surprised the 390 and the 660 were that close.
The 390 is a well balanced honest saw but wouldn't set your house on fire in stock form. A well ported 372 will whip it's butt up to 2ft wood, hardwood even, but they do port well. We do need to remember that everybody ports there saws differently also. Will be interesting to see how the filtering of the 660 goes Matt! :cheers:

BTW, glad there is 9 odd pages and hope there is more.:D

Last edited:
The 390 is a well balanced honest saw but wouldn't set your house on fire in stock form. A well ported 372 will whip it's butt up to 2ft wood, hardwood even, but they do port well. We do need to remember that everybody ports there saws differently also. Will be interesting to see how the filtering of the 660 goes Matt! :cheers:

Ya, I agree. I've handled a 390 but never cut with one, it felt real nice.

I was surprised the 390 and the 660 were that close. Will be interesting to see how the filtering of the 660 goes Matt! :cheers:

Yeah if this saw hits a soft spot Al I'll look at the HD kit that some of the other Aussies here are running. I know the filtering won't be adequate unless Stihl have changed their filters in some way. Regardless I'll give it a workout. First thing I'll do though if I decide to keep it will be to swap it over to 9mm studs so all my Husky bars will fit :)

Listing the before and after comp readings would be interesting! :cheers:

Yeah that would be pretty interesting Al. I know it is only one saw of each and I'm sure there is variation between saws of the same model but would be interesting nonetheless :cheers:

The 372 that I ported was about 15% faster than the stock 390. When ported in about 2 ft oak the 390 was only a second faster. A 390 feels like a 70cc saw with 90 cc saw power.

I would like to see the 660 in Aussy trim (TWIN PORT MUFFLER) in that sledded vid comparison,just to see the difference.:)
This is gunna be very interesting thanks guys.:popcorn::popcorn:

Latest posts

Back