a way to get the life out of a bar

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheGrunt

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I was out cutting on Sunday and the cut was always crooked, found out the bar is worn out. It is a .50 gauge bar, bar is straight so really didn't want to get rid of it, my brother runs .58 gauge on his jred and he tried it in the bar and fits good. Tried it on the saw and goes nice and straight. So a worn out .50 is a good .58. Saves money on a new bar.

the 58 works well for longer

cause a rail closer basically just pinches the outer lips shut /\
l l
That is the best I could describe it using the keys provided.

Hey guys, I was out cutting on Sunday and the cut was always crooked, found out the bar is worn out. It is a .50 gauge bar, bar is straight so really didn't want to get rid of it, my brother runs .58 gauge on his jred and he tried it in the bar and fits good. Tried it on the saw and goes nice and straight. So a worn out .50 is a good .58. Saves money on a new bar.

I've been doing it for years. I have an hardnose that finally wore completely through the stellite on the nose. I'm currently running .58 on an laminate stihl timbersports labeled bar. The sprockettip is usually the biggest obstacle I have on a bar as far as keeping it fit for use. If I have plenty of power for my bar length I prefer hardnose bars.

Hey guys, I was out cutting on Sunday and the cut was always crooked, found out the bar is worn out. . . . So a worn out .50 is a good .58. Saves money on a new bar.

Watch your groove depth - if the bottoms of your drive links start wearing down the bar is worn out in that direction too.

Philbert

I've done that,made a tight as new bar on my 031,put the 058 chain on loose and run it in,just reworked the bar on my 064 with a belt sander,used a thin cut off wheel to groove deeper,chain fits good now,haven't tried it out yet,ohwell it was junk anyway.

Latest posts

Back