about to purchase MS261 - HELP

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are you totally confused yet?
Get the 261 and don't look back. If you have been happy with the 290 you will have slightly better performance with less weight. You understand fresh WATER FREE fuel (in any saw) and a sharp chain. This is why you have enjoyed the 290 for years. You know the secret.
Enjoy!

Again thanks for the input!

You all are helping to get me excited. I am about 95% going to get the MS261CM tomorrow on my day off.

I am half tempted to take a 24 inch maple round with me and my old ms290 and to some test/compare cuts at the shop if they let me, lol.

Does anyone have any comments on the 04 light bar being well 200 grams lighter and the narrow kerf? Reason being, the 261 that my dealer has does not have that....however, he is giving me a deal of about $100 so I guess I that price difference would come close to the bar and chain when the time comes.

Oh, I have always used the Stihl orange oil for making my 50:1 mix. I see in the manual this recommends the synthetic or silver bottles. I will purchase the required mix to get the double warranty....any concerns with going through a couple of the conventional bottles of the orange in the MS261?

I'm inclined to NOT use the orange going forward but switch over to the silver or synthetic. That would mean my MS170 would get synthetic as would my Hitachi string trimmer....

You will love a 261 vs the 290. If the funds are there and his price is decent, definitely get the light weight bar. There are other brands of lw bars also such as Sugi.

As for oil, get the Stihl oil for warranty purposes but keep it on the shelf and start using Amsoil dominator. Stihl ultra is junk, smells terrible also.

Once warranty is over, mod the muffler and let her breath.

Once warranty is over, mod the muffler and let her breath.

With my 290 I simply took off the spark arrestor, drilled two holes, then put the muffler back and changed the carb settings a hair....

Is the 261 mod about the same or could you direct me to that thread, anything with the mtronic? Obviously no setting but just "reset" the mtronic depending on which version you have?

I own a number of saws, the vast majority of which are under a year old.

026 Pro
MS241 (16”)stock
MS241 (16”)ported
MS261 (18”)
MS400 (20”)
MS500i (25”, 36”)

Those are all of my rear handle saws. I will grab the ported 241 or 261 90% of the time. I only reach for the larger saws, when the diameter of the wood I’m cutting starts edging up on the bar length I run. I don’t generally swap bar lengths on the same saw.

The ported 241 is probably my favorite. It’s super compact, with a narrow kerf chain; it performs almost as well as the 261, while being a touch lighter and more maneuverable.

All of those rear handle saws are also MTronic or efi (except for the 25yr old 026 Pro). The two tips I have with auto tune saws- upon starting, allow it to idle for about 60 seconds. Before shutting down, allow it to idle for about 60 seconds. They run great! Plus, even if the mtronic goes out, the part is fairly inexpensive, and easily replaced.

Fresh fuel!!! I’ve ran that old 026 in fuel that’s probably up to 4 years old. These things will often run on old ass trash fuel… but to keep it running it’s best, and most reliable, don’t mix more fuel than you can use in about 6mo, and always use ethanol free. I run Red Armor oil, but there’s plenty of other quality, synthetic options out there. Grand scheme of things, the cost of good oil isn’t that bad.

Most will tell you the Stihl oil isn’t that great. However, until I really got into saws, that 026 consumed whatever oil was handy. Stihl, no name hardware brand, etc. I think people focus a bit too much on oil. Especially for the guy just cutting firewood for heating his home; assuming you run your saw properly, these pro saws will run nearly forever, even on less than top quality oil.

Go get your 261.

Or, order a 241 from Mowers2Go. It’s a bit of a pain, you have to email them to get the VAT removed, then they bend you over on shipping and handling. But in the end, it’s the only way to get a brand new, made in Germany, MS241. Then send it off to someone who does work saw porting and tuning.

I'm in this camp. My main firewood saw is a 92cc and while it's twice as heavy as my 50 or 40cc saws it also cuts 10x times faster so less time is spent holding the saw.

Maybe you could try to get the best of both worlds and send the ms261 off to be ported so it's lighter than the 290/390 but produces the same power. Also I believe the older ms260 is 1lb lighter than the 261 and mofo saws can make a really mean 260.

It cuts 10x faster in what size wood and type???

And no, it doesn't cut 10x faster. Sorry, but no.

The biggest issue with the 261 is the price. I bought mine in 2013, non- m-tronic, for $500 when it could still be done. While I’m not crazy about the saw relative to most saws I run, it’s a well built 50cc saw that performs much better than the 290, regardless of the 5 cubes. Last time I priced them, I was really turned off.

I run a 18” bar, and feel that’s plenty big for the saw.

I like my Echo saws, but if I were looking for a Stihl, even the MS362 would be a good option, especially if you could find a non-m tronic version. I run one occasionally and really like it. It feels good with everything from 18” to 24” bars, and has good power.

For me chainsaws are super long term investments. There are many good options.

The biggest issue with the 261 is the price. I bought mine in 2013, non- m-tronic, for $500 when it could still be done. While I’m not crazy about the saw relative to most saws I run, it’s a well built 50cc saw that performs much better than the 290, regardless of the 5 cubes. Last time I priced them, I was really turned off.

I run a 18” bar, and feel that’s plenty big for the saw.

I like my Echo saws, but if I were looking for a Stihl, even the MS362 would be a good option, especially if you could find a non-m tronic version. I run one occasionally and really like it. It feels good with everything from 18” to 24” bars, and has good power.

For me chainsaws are super long term investments. There are many good options.
I agree with the long-term investment. This will become a new part of me that I look to have alongside me for another 20 years hopefully!! I love my saws! lol

Please explain.....
I think he means it's less actual work in the cut, and because the cut is faster, it's less total time under the load of moving the saw around. It's a work done over time factor.

But what that fails to take into account for, is, not everyone has the same work/time curve. Factor in potential physical ailments, two people may have a vastly different work/time curve. It just depends on the person.

I think he means it's less actual work in the cut, and because the cut is faster, it's less total time under the load of moving the saw around. It's a work done over time factor.

But what that fails to take into account for, is, not everyone has the same work/time curve. Factor in potential physical ailments, two people may have a vastly different work/time curve. It just depends on the person.

In general, the larger displacement saws run 1-2k less rpms than a ~50cc saw. With chain type and sharpness also being factors, a smaller saw will often cut as fast or faster in small-medium sized wood. Is it more likely, or certain, to tax the motor more than a larger saw? Yes, of course, but that's not the main topic here.

So again, it all depends on the conditions and variables.

In small wood, my battery saw cuts as fast as a gas saw. In medium wood, it cuts ~50-75% of the speed. I also use semi-chisel almost exclusively, save for big saws sometimes, because I wouldn't know what "clean wood" looks like. More factors.

Must be a macho thing refusing to use the decomp valve. To each his own, but the push of a button is not a hard thing to do, and makes life easier. Also prolongs starter rope life. My current 261 has been an excellent saw for roughly ten years now. I run 3/8. 050, 20 inch bar on mine and 90 per cent of what I cut is hardwood. The saw is light, dependable, and pretty stout for its size.
It's not at all about macho. I'm 60 years old, bad shoulder, bad back and bad knee. There is nothing macho about me anymore. I was only referring to my 50cc auto tune saw. It starts better without the decomp. Husqvarna posted a bulletin not to use the decomp on the first generation 545 and 550 saws. I have other saws with decomps that I have to use and I'm not a bit embarrassed to use them.

I garauntee you a 50cc will wear you out faster than a 70cc class even with a 32" blade on it..

You might start cutting 12 cords a year stocking up a few years in advance.
I will have to disagree to an extent but not totally :p
When I was cutting on a firewood crew in the 80s/early 90s we used 266 and 268xps, 044s all with 24-28" bars depending on height to be able to stand up straight while cutting. We were Paid by the cord, not hourly so speed ruled. We used the fastest stock saws available. Maybe not 10x as fast as a 50cc but certainly 3-4x. My ported 346s, 16-18" bars will keep up with a stock 266/044 running 24"...but you half to bend down too much...Forget that :p
I eventually ran the 266 and 066 dual port mag purely because of speed. Cut all day, every day and you get used to the weight.
I didn't even own a small saw until the late 90s...026 pro. My single use saw was the 066.
If I were cutting all day like that now and still 30 yrs old it would be the 500i, 24"
Now I'm pretty much 2-saw...ported 500i, 28" and ported 346xp, 16". The combo works well to take most trees apart.
Cutting 2 hrs now about wipes me out so cut speed is my friend.
I wish I still had the arm strength...

In general, the larger displacement saws run 1-2k less rpms than a ~50cc saw. With chain type and sharpness also being factors, a smaller saw will often cut as fast or faster in small-medium sized wood.
Not necessarily.
A well tuned 60-70 cc saw running comp chisel at 13,500 will blow away any stock 50cc and most ported 50s in the same size/type wood.

i am not sold on the new stihl air filters, i do not like them at all. i have had 029/290/34 or 36/361 . ive talked to my stihl mechanic and he doesnt trust them either. i would seriously look at the husky 550. i looked at a 261 at a auction and the filter base was cruddy. some of that is the owners care. i just wouldnt go that way. i bought a 562 thinking ts a direct comparison to the 361 and its not. i should of gone the 572. so far good luck with the auto tune, mtronik is like auto tune gen 1.

Back