about to purchase MS261 - HELP

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
True some people are lazy as **** they walk slow move slow they just are slow. No amount of saw or bar length will speed them up.
Theyre work curve vs time is slow they will not make the most of any tool in there hands.
I can out cut them with my 18v sawzall.

I cant beleive any 50cc saw will run with a 70cc dont care if its buckin or limbing willows

With my 290 I simply took off the spark arrestor, drilled two holes, then put the muffler back and changed the carb settings a hair....

Is the 261 mod about the same or could you direct me to that thread, anything with the mtronic? Obviously no setting but just "reset" the mtronic depending on which version you have?
There are a few ways to do a 261. You can go cheap with fish gills on the recoil handle side. West coast saw and hmwf worksaws makes deflectors you can weld or bolt on that looks much nicer and use a screen. The wcs 3 point dogs/spikes are real nice also if you plan to use the saw to fell a lot.

As for the mtron reset, I believe that is all you do but not sure. All the 261s I have/had were standard carbs, I’m not ready to make the mtron jump yet.

Oh, I have always used the Stihl orange oil for making my 50:1 mix. I see in the manual this recommends the synthetic or silver bottles. I will purchase the required mix to get the double warranty....any concerns with going through a couple of the conventional bottles of the orange in the MS261?

I'm inclined to NOT use the orange going forward but switch over to the silver or synthetic. That would mean my MS170 would get synthetic as would my Hitachi string trimmer....
There's noting wrong with the orange bottle stihl oil, wouldn't run the ultra if my life depended on it. Seen too many issues with it. Really any fd rated oil will be just fine for your needs.
You'll certainly enjoy running the 261cm over the 290. They are clunky, heavy saws, but do quite a bit of fire wood duty.
There's nothing wrong with m-tronic. Been running some version of autotune or mtronic since 2012. Yes there were growing pains with it, but it's pretty much been figured out for several years now. Just need to remember it's a basic carburetor with the addition of the fuel solenoid and a few extra wires. No voodoo magic to it, diagnosis is pretty much the same as a regular carb saw. 50cc isn't my jam of a saw, but my old man sure loves running my 026 since he's gotten up in age.

i am not sold on the new stihl air filters, i do not like them at all. i have had 029/290/34 or 36/361 . ive talked to my stihl mechanic and he doesnt trust them either. i would seriously look at the husky 550. i looked at a 261 at a auction and the filter base was cruddy. some of that is the owners care. i just wouldnt go that way. i bought a 562 thinking ts a direct comparison to the 361 and its not. i should of gone the 572. so far good luck with the auto tune, mtronik is like auto tune gen 1.
Not crazy about the Stihl air filters either. They look the part, but a lot gets past them.

You will love a 261 vs the 290. If the funds are there and his price is decent, definitely get the light weight bar. There are other brands of lw bars also such as Sugi.

As for oil, get the Stihl oil for warranty purposes but keep it on the shelf and start using Amsoil dominator. Stihl ultra is junk, smells terrible also.

Once warranty is over, mod the muffler and let her breath.

Is this gonna be another oil thread?
I too use dominator at 36:1 in every 2 stroke I own.

geesh I am getting scared now about the air filter? I just beat off the old ms290 once a year and replace it about every 5 years...it's great. Should I be concerned with the 261?

You need to find a saw you like, whether stihl husky or echo. After purchase use good oil/gas while performing regular maintenance on the unit and the saw will last a long time for you. This crowd will nitpick things to death and turn you into a nervous nelly about your purchase. :crazy2: Who is close to little timber with a 261 he can run?

You need to find a saw you like, whether stihl husky or echo. After purchase use good oil/gas while performing regular maintenance on the unit and the saw will last a long time for you. This crowd will nitpick things to death and turn you into a nervous nelly about your purchase. :crazy2: Who is close to little timber with a 261 he can run?
Even if I played with it I would not be 100% confident. I won't know until several years have gone by to see how it holds up! Thanks

geesh I am getting scared now about the air filter? I just beat off the old ms290 once a year and replace it about every 5 years...it's great. Should I be concerned with the 261?
No, they are fine as long as you do the maintenance. I've rebuilt 261s from a logging operation with oe filters that were encased in crud on the outside but clean on the inside.

Back