Adjusting the oiler on a 361

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Haywire Haywood

Fiscal Conservative Social Retard
Reaction score
How touchy is the adjustment on the oiler? I was going thru about 1 tank oil to 1.5 to 2 tanks gas, It came set on "E" so I turned it about 1/3 of the way between the "E" and the max setting. Haven't run it yet, waiting for NWCS to mod my muffler.

Ian

You have a blockage, and probably some seriously burned up bars!

Well, that bugs me. A few days ago, I pulled off my bar, cleaned out the grooves with a paperclip and WD-40, cleaned the oil passages in the bar with brake cleaner, and put everything back together. It seemed to be oiling fine.

Today I used the saw for maybe 3/4 of a tank of gas, and the oil was down maybe a teaspoon. I just pulled the bar again, and the darned oil passageway in the bar is clogged with sawdust AGAIN. I don't understand why this is such a problem. I never had this problem with my 310. My chains are sharp. I'm cutting pristine white oak with no dirt or grit in it. Anyone have a clue why the oil passageway is clogging so much, or how to prevent it? Thanks,

C

I assume you know there are two holes, and that if you flip the bar the bottom one is always blocked?

I never see the active hole (top inner) blocked unless it was blocked to start with.

My 361 oiler is set to max and I only use about 1 tank of oil for every 20 or 30 tanks of premix. What gives?

I really fell of my chair when I read this. Cannot believe there were no fireworks or smoking bars involved...
Maybe some troll fills up your oil tank during the night :hmm3grin2orange:
Seriously, follow Lake's advice there most be a clogging problem.

I have put mine to max since day one and needs refill every 2 premix tanks.

Welp, I'm hopin it's just that the oil tank vent valve thing was plugged. (It might have been...tough to say, but somehow that sounds too easy.) The pickup was fine. If it's more than that I'll just go back to dealer under warranty. The oiler in this saw has always been dog slow. Maybe there's something bad with the pump. Will see.

What's a decent rate?

Just kidding Lakeside, thanks for the advice. I'm getting SOME oil, which is better than I was doing before. Maybe it was the vent valve. Crossing my fingers.

When the oiler is running right, after you shut down a warm saw, the grooves in the drive links should be filled with oil and the entire drive links (I think that's the word -- the part of the chain that fits in the groove) should be wet and shiny with oil...right?

Thanks again.

Update: I took the saw to my dealer, who disassembled the oil pump and blew it out, then reassembled and tried it again ... and it worked!

Brought the saw home and ran it in some wood, and it oils better than it ever did!

Another mystery problem with my 361...disappears into thin air. :sucks:

My 361 oiler problem is baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack! :bang: :angry:

Even with the oil adjustment turned all the way up, I still only use a few tablespoons of oil per tank of premix. :sucks:

How difficult a job is it to R&R the oiler on a 361? My dealer said that even though I'm just a happy homeowner, the warranty on my 361 is only 90 days as opposed to a year on my old 310. He said if I have a problem, he'd go to bat for me with Stihl, but if they refuse, how bad a job is replacing the oiler? Are any special tools or techniques needed? I would prefer to do it myself if it's not too bad a job, just so I can learn a little more about how my saw is put together.

Thanks again,

Jeff

Latest posts

Back