Advice for cutting off someone else's land??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smithm1979

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
We live on about an acre but the 50 acres that surround our property on 3 sides is forest owned by somebody who lives 15 miles away. He just uses it to hunt (deer only I think) in season. Would like to approach him about cutting some trees down for firewood, fair amount of oaks and maples, among others. What would be fair compensation? Would rather not pay money (kind of defeats the purpose) but would be willing to pay a small amount. Also, I don't hunt but would being up there cutting with a saw scare deer away permanently? Any ideas/suggestions, I'm open let me know. Thanks.

My dad and I cut on another guys land. See what the guy thinks. Try to work out a dealthat works good for both of you. We cut for a few weeks leading up to the gun deer season. We clean up around his stand if it needs it. Then we clean around shooting area if needed. We usually leave an hour or so before he goes bow hunting. He claims he has seen deer less than an hour after we left. I have had them walk to within 50 yards with the saw running. I think they get curious of the smells and or sounds when we are there. As far as spooking deer I dont think you have anything to worry about. I would stay away when someone is hunting tho. Mainly for my oun safety. I also dont wannabe blamed for wrecking someones hunt. If ya do get to cut there, Do your best job to make it look nice. Make neat brush piles. remember you are a guest on someone elses land. It is a privilage to cut there. keep that in mind. If ya do a good job, it just might be a win/win for both of ya. I always try to leave my area looking like a park.

Make it benefit both of you

I would ask what his plans are - maybe this would work in both of your favors. Check out the Quality Deer Management Forums for forest improvement (like TSI). Maybe he wants a food plot location? Maybe agree to throw some white clover seed down. Maybe you will become his new best friend!

My experience is that the deer know that chainsaws bring those really high branches down to "browsable" level. Every night they come into the tops and eat the buds off of that days slashings.

Good luck - sounds like a great opportunity for you to become his property manager with firewood as your paycheck!

Bill

I have the privilege to cut on my neighbors 80 and other neighbors 40 that border my 20. First thing I wouldn't do is ask about dropping trees (especially live ones). I strictly cut dead (standing and down), downed branches etc. Basically just attempt to keep the forest somewhat clear of deadfalls, downed trees etc...
It's a win win for both, I easily get 10 plus full cords from there and they are pretty happy about their woods looking better. My neighbors 80 is just rec land for him he lives about 60 miles away as well as hunting ground. I make sure to leave a good pile of wood for their hunting camp fires. I make sure not to cut or haul during hunting season...fortunately he only gun hunts so it's only couple weeks a year. I also don't cut when he's up just vacationing during the summer as to not disturb them w/ saw noise. I keep my other neighbors horse path's clear so she really appreciates the help.
As the other poster stated I've never seen saws have a negative impact on deer, they also are curious and don't seem to feel threatened by the saws/splitters etc...
Do your best to leave the property in better shape than what you find it and I'm sure everything will work out well.

All have some very good advice. Put the shoe on the other foot. What would you expect if they were cutting on your land? I cut wood on our 80 and allow the guy next to us to cut the wood in the back. When I'm done, my area looks like a park. All brush is stacked neatly so the deer can eat on the limbs and the grouse and turkeys have a place to live in the winter. The guy next to me only takes the trunks. As I cut, I make nice trails; when he cuts he makes a mess. Guess who isn't going to cut on our woods anymore.

When I let you cut wood on my land, I expect you to do your best not to make big ruts and you best clean up the mess and if you need to clear out some of the brush you best cut them short to the ground.

As far as the deer. I can stack our brush in little piles and that night the deer are all over it.

The last month I have been cutting off of a neighbors pasture tree stand. He did not let anyone down there including deer hunters. It is so close to my place that I figured I wasn't out anything if he said no so I gave it a shot. I went to his house and asked him in person, and was totally surprised when he didn't hesitate a second and said have at it. He did limit me to down trees but that is what I was after anyway. He was down there a week ago when I was cutting and walked down to talk to me. I thought well this is probably the end of this. Come to find out he was very pleased to get some of his pasture cleaned up so the grass could grow in those spots again. He made special mention, as have other posters in this thread, that he was pleased to see ALL of the left over brush in a nice neat little pile. If an arrangement can be worked out I see a big benefit for both parties involved. As for the deer question very seldom did I come down the lane to cut and not scare 6 to 8 deer up and chase them down to the river. They have heard a lot of saw noise this past month and has not seemed to faze them in the least. Good luck and I hope everything works out for you.

Deer get used to the noise. In fact, the ones around here call a chainsaw a dinner bell. They like to munch the lichens and moss off the trees. They can't make ladders so they have to have somebody fall the trees.

$30-35/cord at most. Maybe less depending on how much the deal benefits you and how much it benefits him.

Find out how they'd like things left.

Brush cut down so it's in contact with the ground will rot away in a year or two. Stacked up in piles it'll still be visible a decade from now; yeah there's the habitat argument but it's not like they occur in nature.

From a practical standpoint I've been making piles the last few years but now that I'm getting some "elbow room" in my woodlot I can spread out the brush and not have it in my way.

The occasional dead standing or fallen trees to me are wildlife trees. Lot more natural habitat then brush piles. Personally I'd rather leave them and cut down a living but never will be commercially or aesthetically valuable tree -- the ones leaning heavily trying to reach light, etc.

If I'm a deer hunter and have land like mine...you could take all the red and silver maples you'd like for free, and same deal to clear out the smaller red oaks where they're crowded together. I'm keeping my ash for now so they grow as much as they can before EAB or Ash Yellows hits in earnest. Leave the big oaks & the few hickories I have for mast crops. You don't have to hunt them out, but girdle the box elders you come across and if you see a big poison ivy vine on a tree take your ax and just whack out a foot long chunk. Rather then stack brush, assuming it's not in the way just cut it down so it's mostly in contact with the ground.

not to get off topic, but did anybody else read this thread as "Advice for cutting off someone else's hand??"

haha o man, that was weird

Chainsaws running seem to draw deer around here, come in within 60-80 ft and just stand and watch. If he's worried about it just do your cutting in the spring, especially if your only cutting the dead stuff.

Great advice!!

Wow that was exactly what I was looking for, thank you. I've had enough of paying $3+/gal for propane and still being cold in the winter. I'll let everybody know how it works out. Thanks again for the great advice.

I cut across the street on a neighbors property. The deal I worked out is he gets a trailer load of split wood then I get a trailer load of split wood. Yeah, it's twice the work but it is right across the street and I am also helping the old guy out. Works for me.

I cut wood on Wednesday and shot a 5 point bull elk on Friday less than 100 yards away.

My brother once was cutting wood and had a large Blacktail buck wander up to watch the action.

Land owners need to access their land. I keep the roads clear. downage and deadfall, brambles, etc. Also fields (At least in forest happy New England) want to revert back to woodland. 2 hrs/year whackin down white pines to keep a field from release is a great gesture.

In the cases I'm with, I was told initially, only cut downed stuff. But as I've added value to the relationships, owners have come forward to say, hey that maple's waning....whack it, fell it, haul it, heat it.

Bottom line:

Help our stewards of open land land be good stewarads and potentially reap the rewards. (I say potentially because if you go in with an entitlement mentality, no new doors will open. It's all about adding value and having good stuff that makes you all mutually smile).

Golden rule governs good relationships.

Call him and let him know you are the neighbor.

Flat out ask him if you could cut and remove all the standing dead snags, and help him out with thinning the crowded stuff, any shooting lanes he might want, and clearing for any food plots he might be considering, in exchange for the wood.

No need to pay for doing the guy a favor. Leaving a few tops here and there, benefits the deer and other critters for cover and browse, and opening things up leads to a flush of lush new growth for chow.

If he bites, ask him to meet you so boundrys can be pointed out and he can explain clearly what he expects.
Odds are he will appreciate a neighbor keeping rifraf out of his woodlot, and generally helping him better manage the conditions for the local Deer herd.

If not...well, ya tried.
I wish ya luck!

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Help our stewards of open land land be good stewarads and potentially reap the rewards. (I say potentially because if you go in with an entitlement mentality, no new doors will open. It's all about adding value and having good stuff that makes you all mutually smile).

Golden rule governs good relationships.

:clap: Amen!

I'll also throw in the ol' Boy Scout rule: leave the area even better than you found it. If you put in the extra effort the first time, you are more likely to reap many happy returns. I'd even ask if the landowner wants some processed firewood in return.

On the other hand, when the landowner says "no" or "no more," don't complain or badmouth. Be grateful for what you had been able to get and thank the landowner. Landowners have reasons not to let people on their property and it usually is nothing personal against you, the firewooder (or hunter, ATV'er, etc.).

We have hunters who want on our farm every year, but the past three years, they have been approaching me with that entitlement mentality. I tell them "no" and they want to know why. I tell them why and they don't like my reasoning. I further explain my reasoning, and then they try to exchange yard work/farm labor for access. :bang: My reasons are well thought out and include the advice of a couple good lawyers, and I don't need total strangers who don't know jack about it acting like children when I say "no."

Last edited:
critters are curious little F-ers'....

The deer will hang around, they range well, but know their food source. Hogs are just plain dumb, but shy-er, unless totally fixated on the food. Leaving snags of brush ensures the smaller critters will hang around too. Squirrles are so messy. Squirrles will pop a Magnolia cone eat a few seeds and drop the cone, the deer love them.

Latest posts

Back