Advice for finding/felling Engelmann Spruce

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GuitarMan

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm a guitar builder out in California and want to find a quality Engelmann tree to cut and build guitars with. I know a lot about woodworking but very little about trees when they are alive... Does anyone have any advice on locations and seasons that are best to do this? I figured cold climate (Northern Canada) and cold season are the best, but I don't really know... If there are any good books on the subject please let me know.

Thanks!!!

Engelmann Spruce

Any area in this country that grows Christmas trees should have a few Engelmanns that have gotten too big to use as Christmas trees. Engelmanns used to be more popular as Christmas trees, but firs seem more popular today, thus the glut of Engelmanns.:chainsaw: :chainsaw:

Englemann Spruce (Picea englemanni) is native to the Eastside Cascades of Washington the state, and also Idaho, and probably Montana. Up here, in WA, that would be the Okanogan-Wenatchee National Forests, or Colville N.F. It generally grows in the chillier, wetter areas. Hope that helps some. I don't know if any is located in CA. You might check with the National Forests there.

here in colorado we have alot of engelman spruce. i cut about 15 or so over 24" every year for firewood. the wood you are looking for is definitely here. my brother sells alot of it on ebay. some really nice couple hundred year old stuff on ocassion.

Latest posts

Back