Advice from 5100S Owners

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Islander

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Just got a new 5100S...on its 3rd tank.

I got it hoping it would cover 3/4 of my saw needs. So far so good...runs great, and a fun and comfortable saw to run. I have an Ex-HD 6401 for bigger stuff...that handles anything on my property.

Got mine from AS Sponsor Cutting Edge (a real saw shop like you read about). They set it up for me, and richened it up so hopefully no issues from being overly lean. Will probably stop back after 10 tanks or so.

Setup with 18" bar and 3/8" chain, which works well so far. Got a few loops of LGX full chisel (and 1 LPX which I haven't tried yet), and 2 of semi-chisel for some dirty wood I have on the ground. Practicing my hand-filing...I like to keep reasonably sharp chains.

Using Dolmar synthetic and Motion Lotion. Trying to stick to ethanol-free high test. But ethanol-free gas is hard to come by around here...so it might see some from time to time.

Who's got the most used and abused 5100S? Any advice based on your experience?

Anyone had problems I should look out for?

How is it in the Winter? I have some bigger wood out back, but need frozen solid ground to get to it...

BTW...the 5100S is what I own, so most helpful to stay on that topic....Thanks!

Hope his dealer tuned it for him and didn't just hand him a saw in cardboard box, you know how those Dolmar dealers are...Bwahahahahahahaha!!!! :laugh:

Just kidding, great saw, should serve you well.

Scott

Islander,

My 5100 has served me well and been run pretty hard (by firewood cutter standards) for almost 2 years. I have run synthetic oil and also had my dealer check the tuning just before the warranty ran out.

I ran VP off road fuel (high octane, leaded, no ethanol) in mine for a while because of ethanol paranoia and found that the saw did not run as well as is it did on 89 octane pump gas, so now I just use pump gas and try and keep it fresh. If it sits more than a month or so, I dump it in my car. Someone on this site commented that a gas station they frequented had a meter on the gas pumps and that the "cheap stuff" vastly outsold "high test", so I just get the cheap stuff knowing that it is probably fresher.

As for chain choices, I am running .325 and have used a variety of brands in chisel and semi-chisel and have not noticed any difference. I suspect that the small difference between chains is less significant than the inconsistency in my sharpening techique.

It sounds like you have a great dealer and are taking care of the saw, so it should keep a smile on your face for years.

Adam

The 5100s is a good dependible saw!
I've got prolly 5 gallons of mix through mine so far, just got done cutting a load of red elm, so far it's not given me any trouble whatsoever, just a very nice saw to run.

Have had my 5100 for 3.5 almost 4 years now and have ran the piss out of it....homeowner style....Does the majority of all my firewood (10 cord per year), clearing around the property and pain in the arse jobs for family who don't have saws.

Tuned properly, fresh mix, sharp chains and a little TLC after the jobs are done and the 5100 will serve you very well. :cheers:

I have had mine for a couple of years. I just came in from using it. The ignition went out under warranty. My dealer did something to my saw that I posted about sometime ago.
He cut the foam seal between the carburetor diaphragm and the air filter. If you look at what Dolmar has done in an attempt to control fuel mixture as the filter plugs, well!!! The minimum I can say is it is unnecessary.
I would buy a 5100 again.

Don't have a 5100 only a Makita 5001, but am very happy with it! Try not to abuse but you know it is not always feasable to be nice. :laugh:

5100's

I've got 3.Cause my bodies worn out from 35 years of hand cutting , I tried one on a hardwood sawlog job I had in Ct. last winter.Never had the patience for anything less than a 70 cc. saw. Merchandised the wood down to 4-5" so alot of limbing.Really gave up a lot of time felling but these old bones kept slinging that little puppy around long after I would have quit with a bigger saw. I bought another woods modded 5100 awhile ago from Cutting Edge.That thing is sick for 50 cc.s Surprised I'd ever be impressed having chopped with 2100's 395's 288's.I did start using semi skip 3/8 chisel.Seems to make a difference in the low on the stump felling cuts.I'm surprised how well the saws lasted considering there wasn't any mercy involved.

I have had mine for 4 years or so,it was one of the first batch of saws with the air leak at the carb boot...had a bi$%%ch of a time with it until the "sealing ring" upgrade came out.
after the air leak issue was fixed it has been trouble free,one year we took it 40 cord of tops for firewood,the 5100 didn't cut all 40 by itself,but it got run hard for the entire time.
the other years it has been 15-20 cord.
the saws only downfall seems to be the hit and miss dealer support....saw needs to be setup and tuned by a good tech at time of sale.
cuttin edge knows their stuff,you picked a great saw from a great dealer.:rockn:

I have an earlier one and put the ring update in mine. Its been run hard and cut alot of wood. Most of the time it wears a 20" 3/8 bar. I wouldn't hesitate to own another one if I needed it.

Thanks for all the helpful information. Looks encouraging!

Its life will be easy with me... I cut 4-5 cord/year for my supplemental wood stove. I would have been fine with a 510, but for a little more money the 5100S seems like a lot more saw. Plus the hot rod factor of course...

I noticed the difference anti-vibe and relatively light weight make. A lot less fatigue than I'm used to. Looking forward to more heat for less pain!

How about thoughts on winter use? Anyone use the warm air diverter?

Thanks for all the helpful information. Looks encouraging!

Its life will be easy with me... I cut 4-5 cord/year for my supplemental wood stove. I would have been fine with a 510, but for a little more money the 5100S seems like a lot more saw. Plus the hot rod factor of course...

I noticed the difference anti-vibe and relatively light weight make. A lot less fatigue than I'm used to. Looking forward to more heat for less pain!

How about thoughts on winter use? Anyone use the warm air diverter?

Keep a good sharp chain and it almost makes cutting wood fun.
You should use the diverter any time the temp is below 35-40 degrees.
The carb can actually ice up above freezing temps.

I'm on my 2nd 5100. Traded the old one for heated handle version. Use fresh gas; keep the filter clean and the chain sharp. This saw will last you a long time!

Keep a good sharp chain and it almost makes cutting wood fun.
You should use the diverter any time the temp is below 35-40 degrees.
The carb can actually ice up above freezing temps.

Thanks for the reminder, JD. I'll be flipping them around this weekend. Sounds like the unseasonably warm weather may be about gone now. BTW you're right, it's ALMOST fun with the 5100, it IS fun with the 7300!

I'm on my 2nd 5100. Traded the old one for heated handle version. Use fresh gas; keep the filter clean and the chain sharp. This saw will last you a long time!

How do you like the heated handles? Most of my cutting is done in winter, could be useful for me if there's a big difference, but I'm usually working hard enough that I don't get too cold anyhow. How much price difference for a heated handle saw.

Just got a new 5100S...on its 3rd tank.

I got it hoping it would cover 3/4 of my saw needs. So far so good...runs great, and a fun and comfortable saw to run. I have an Ex-HD 6401 for bigger stuff...that handles anything on my property.

Got mine from AS Sponsor Cutting Edge (a real saw shop like you read about). They set it up for me, and richened it up so hopefully no issues from being overly lean. Will probably stop back after 10 tanks or so.

Setup with 18" bar and 3/8" chain, which works well so far. Got a few loops of LGX full chisel (and 1 LPX which I haven't tried yet), and 2 of semi-chisel for some dirty wood I have on the ground. Practicing my hand-filing...I like to keep reasonably sharp chains.

Using Dolmar synthetic and Motion Lotion. Trying to stick to ethanol-free high test. But ethanol-free gas is hard to come by around here...so it might see some from time to time.

Who's got the most used and abused 5100S? Any advice based on your experience?

Anyone had problems I should look out for?

How is it in the Winter? I have some bigger wood out back, but need frozen solid ground to get to it...

BTW...the 5100S is what I own, so most helpful to stay on that topic....Thanks!
I've run about 2gallons tru mine(16 tanks) or I'm on the 16th tank with no problems so far.
Just run it like any saw and if it starts doing something screwy fix it .

Have had mine right at three years now. Used Mobil 1 racing 2T since the first tank. I am down to my last dribble and will start using Klotz now. No problems at all and have only changed the plug once. I use it less than 80 hour per year. 94 octane Shell, Oregon LGX chain. The little hot rod puts a smile on my face every time I fire her up!

Steve-heated handles are the reason I switched from Stihl to Dolmar. Even if it's above 0 but your gloves are wet they will dry your gloves some. When it's below 0 , I can stay out much longer. About a $75 upgrade I think? Got 'em on my 6400/ soon to be 7900 also. After 30 years of vibrating saws and cold fingers these two Dolmars are much appreciated! Holy crap it's 5:48 I better get in my stand. Have a Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

Last edited:
Sounds like you've got the bases covered. That's because you bought from a good dealer:) You can expect a long healthy life out of a saw setup and taken care of like yours is.

Hope his dealer tuned it for him and didn't just hand him a saw in cardboard box, you know how those Dolmar dealers are...Bwahahahahahahaha!!!! :laugh:

Just kidding, great saw, should serve you well.

Scott

Right Brad, I am sure that Scott and Steve did it right - excellent choise of dealer!

Last edited:
Back