Advice needed for big redwoods

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll have to spend half the time peeing if you guys were helping! :)

I met with the county inspector yesterday and got the offcial OK to take down the big triple and 3 others just uphill from it. I also found another very burnt out redwood in an area I had never been before. He thinks the feds, via his office, will give the Ok there too. This is all on 1,200 acres of private land BTW. I should schedule all this with the owners next week. I am trying to get permission from the fish police to drop the big tree in the river (10" deep and 20' wide). The river banks and the bottom are all rocks and gravel. The laws regarding riparian zones are very strict.

I am going to use the smaller trees' logs to build working platform around the big tree. I think that will be the safest way for me to get high enough above the goosepen.

Last edited:
Well we just received the final permits. This has been going on since last July. The slope above the only road in is sliding a little all the time and today we fianlly had some rain. Next week I should be able to set up a calendar for falling if the road holds.

HOWEVER the latest news as of yesterday is that along with the tan oaks (tanbark oaks) all the redwood is quarantined and may not be removed from the site. This is common for tan oak because of SODS and Montery pine because of pitch canker but I have never heard of this for redwood. Ten thousand dollars worth of wood will have to stay on site. I am going to see if kiln drying will allow the lumber to be sold. If so we can mill on site and haul the lumber to a kiln here in Santa Cruz. I don't know about sterilizing all my tools either. The USDA is involved in the decision making process now.

HOWEVER the latest news as of yesterday is that along with the tan oaks (tanbark oaks) all the redwood is quarantined and may not be removed from the site. This is common for tan oak because of SODS and Montery pine because of pitch canker but I have never heard of this for redwood. Ten thousand dollars worth of wood will have to stay on site. I am going to see if kiln drying will allow the lumber to be sold. If so we can mill on site and haul the lumber to a kiln here in Santa Cruz. I don't know about sterilizing all my tools either. The USDA is involved in the decision making process now.

USDA? Unbelievable. I know people complain about too much regulation all the time, but some of the examples I have read here have really opened my eyes to the extent of it. :dizzy:

Best of luck.

Glad I live in TX, too many rules in Kalifornia. Since I have never even seen a tree that big, please video the take-down. That's some big bar wood for sure.
But I am confused about the private land thing. If it's private land, why do all the feds have to get involved?

Glad I live in TX, too many rules in Kalifornia. Since I have never even seen a tree that big, please video the take-down. That's some big bar wood for sure.
But I am confused about the private land thing. If it's private land, why do all the feds have to get involved?

Because they know what's best for me and you.

no

"That's true. We do......."

----------

Shhhhhhhh

==============

I don't know enough to comment on anything here so at least I'm going to be quiet.

Last edited:
That's true. We do....:):)

Have a good day Slowp, I'm off. You see, on private ground we burn our oil jugs at lunch, cut wildlife trees for firewood, skid through the creeks, and just have a good ol' time at work. I'll be thinking of you and all of your damn rules. :)

I remind my co workers of that working now thing. They whine too much. We have jobs and that's a good thing. I think I'll grab some yellow paint and paint firewood trees today. That'll get me out. Have a good day!

I know better, Jesse. You're one of the most considerate and clean working loggers I've had work for me. Not even a candy bar wrapper left in the woods.

Latest posts

Back