Advice On Log Truck

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wolf66

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
i AM ABOUT TO GET INTO A LOGGING TRUCK (DAY CAB, NOT SEMI)
I LOOKED AT A FEW AND THEY SEEMED MORE LIKE TREE CO. TRUCKS WITH DUMP BEDS. I SAW MY FIRST REAL ONE YESTERDAY. IT IS A 1986 FORD LTL9000. I WAS ADVISED THAT THIS TRUCK WAS A FACTORY BUILT LOGGERS
TRUCK. IT HAS HUGE BUNKS AND A 120C PRENTICE (1999 EXTANDABOOM MOUNTED BEHIND THE CAB).
IT WAS THE FIRST DOUBLE WRAPPED FRAME I HAVE SEEN AND I WAS IMPRESSED IN HOW EXTRA HEAVY DUTY IT WAS BEHIND THE BOOM MOUNTS.
HOW IMPORTANT IS A USED LOGGING TRUCK TO BE FACTORY BUILT FOR THE EXTRA STRESS? IS A STANDARD DOUBLE WRAPPED DAY CAB WITH A 120 PRENTICE OKAY, OR TOO LIGHT DUTY? HOW NEC. IS IT TO HAVE THE WHOLE
BEEFY BUILT FROM FACTORY FRAME? (DOUBLE WRAPPED AND SUPPORTED)? I AM GOING TO BE GETTING INTO ONE BY THIS WEEKEND (I HOPE) AND AM NOT SURE IF I SHOULD LIMIT THE TRUCKS I AM VIEWING TO JUST FACTORY BUILT LOGGERS TRUCKS, OR IF A GOOD HEAVY DUTY MACK OR PETERBUILT SIZE TRUCK WITH A DOUBLE WRAPPED FRAME WILL BE PLENTY HEAVY DUTY..
ANYONE KNOW OF A NICE UNIT 4 SALE? PRENTICE 120 C PREFERED.:biggrinbounce2:

Well, whatever you get just let me know... I've got to get you up in Carmel to pick up a bunch of white oak logs.

Double frame is very important. I have an 85 international drop tandum that could be yours.

I just picked up a 1987 Ford LTL 9000!:rockn:
The truck is cleaner than any others I went to see (up to 2001)
It is perfect for me as it has a 30 yard dumpable; removable container and good sized bunks as well.
It is running a cummings 440 (295,000 original miles)
a 16 speed tranny
it has live tandems with a floater = 74k GVW
the boom is a 1998 serco 7000 with low hours.
this truck was purchased from the original owner and kept in a barn. Even the interior is in mint condition.
I feel the price was very reasonable, but wish it had a prentice 120 or better. I may swap the boom onto a pup trailer and install a IMT 40' boom.
I am going to be using this truck for tree service and logging. I will post some pics soon.
Thank you all for all your help. If anyone knows of a boom for a good price, let me know I did find a few units around 15k, but one guy has one for 6k and I might get that and buy the trailer from him as well.

Last edited:
I just wanted to say that Tim (Wolf66) just helped me today and last night with a log pick-up job. While the truck is new to him, I was very impressed with the way he handled it, also for it's age the thing is in very good condition. First job the truck did with Tim was white oak, with some maple and hickory mixed in... 1 FULL load (didn't have enough room for a few logs at the end) took it from 1 property to the next door neighbor all of a few hundred feet away. The truck definately needs some TLC (the winch needs to be moved or jerry rigged a bit better) some hydraulic issues need to be worked out, the hitch needs to be moved, and some lights and a better radio need to be added. Otherwise it's a really nice truck.

Latest posts

Back