Advice on saw for TSI

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Durability isn't an issue and they are fairly easy to service. Just don't hit it with a tractor.

The Echo 361p is a rear handle version of the 355t. Tons of great reviews.
It feels more solid then my 192ce did.
There is a video on YouTube of a guy using both the 361p and the 201 rear handle. Looks like a great option for a small saw.

Not being smart but what about a nice machete ? Easy to carry and damn sure cut anything you've mentioned I'm just thinking the wiegjt to carry would be basically nothing ? If you need a saw I'd find the smallest sold
Double sided felling axe. Machete as back up. No gas, oil, chain files or mechanical failure. The fun factor wears off very soon so I would go with a Dolmar 421 and buy the makita version while you can still get them in blue as a back up incase something happens to the Dolmar and needs repair.

I failed to notice the wieght issue difference with your jonsered. 271t I held at dealer felt like a feather, price tag was very reasonable.

I failed to notice the wieght issue difference with your jonsered. 271t I held at dealer felt like a feather, price tag was very reasonable.
Homelite being your name, my first saw was a homelite. Do you have a need for a homelite hardcase. Will ship it. I have a box to send it in. I dont want money or nothin just trying to get it off my porch. It was for a mainstream homelite (dont remember the model 16 inch scabbard tho. Up to you, if not im just throwing it away!!! Very sorry to op for bombing your thread. Can send pics via pm if you want it

Sent from my LGMS428 using Tapatalk

sw
MS150, hands down. Fit it with 3/8 Picco if need be.
You guys are killing me. Okay, the ms150 is how this post started and I am back considering it. I love the weight at 6.1lbs. Then someone mentioned the echo cs361p which is 8.3 lbs. 24cc vs 36cc. Which of these two saws would cut faster considering the diff in chain type(my guess Echo)? Is the 2lbs extra weight worth the 12cc? Please keep the input to these two saws please. Remember I will be cutting no bigger than 4. Stihl is $529 vs Echo $399

sw

You guys are killing me. Okay, the ms150 is how this post started and I am back considering it. I love the weight at 6.1lbs. Then someone mentioned the echo cs361p which is 8.3 lbs. 24cc vs 36cc. Which of these two saws would cut faster considering the diff in chain type(my guess Echo)? Is the 2lbs extra weight worth the 12cc? Please keep the input to these two saws please. Remember I will be cutting no bigger than 4". Stihl is $529 vs Echo $399
The 150 seriously outperforms it's size.

63PS3 chain

20 acres? If it was me I'd pick up a good used MS170/MS180/018/017. They're not nearly as incapable as many say. They're light, cheap and cut fine. You can find one for $100-$125 easily enough. Keep the chain tight.
20 acres for now. This will grow to over 100 acres. That is why I am looking to get a commercial grade small saw. The ms170 is close to 9lbs powerhead and was told by my local Stihl dealer it would not hold up.

20 acres? If it was me I'd pick up a good used MS170/MS180/018/017. They're not nearly as incapable as many say. They're light, cheap and cut fine. You can find one for $100-$125 easily enough. Keep the chain tight.
Im a noob still (6 years total between ground and climbing) f*** a ms180. Atleast if it has that stupid ass self tensioning bs on it. Maybe a later model but it was garbage

Sent from my LGMS428 using Tapatalk

Just s a bit of info on my 2152. I just weighed it with a 16" bar chain and 1/2 tanks of fuel and oil. It hit the scales at 15.4lbs. Wow. Heavier than I thought.

Here is an update. I went to three Stihl dealers an no one had the MS150ce. I then went to an echo dealer to see the 361p and none were there either. I told the Echo dealer what I needed the saw for and he recommended a 303t. He uses it personally for the same thing. I said great, let me try it especially since echo has a 7day no hassle return policy. $300 out the door with a 14" bar and I went cutting. The saw cut with plenty of speed. I cut 5" beech down to 2" maple with no problem. Great little saw. However, I do not like the top handle feeling. I returned the saw and will be waiting on a Stihl ms150 ce to show up at the dealer for a look over. I will go back to the Echo dealer once he gets in a 361p. I know these saws are diff classes but they both look interesting based on the weight and power ratio.

The Echo dealer stated that Echo does not use different internals on the homeowner and professional saws. He stated they are the same other than external features. Stihl saws are built diff in my understanding. The homeowner echos are around %40 less. Any input?

I know I keep talking and no one is listening so here goes. I called Stihl Usa to get more info on the ms150ce since 3 local dealers had nothing on it. Stihl USA state the reason the price is so high is because it is made in germany and not here. She also stated it is all plastic with only one piston ring not two like the other models. Needless to say I passed especially with the price of $529. Now on to echo. Today I was on the website and it showed 20% all echo products today only 10-6 at my local echo dealer. I picked up a cs 361p out the door with a 14" bar for $319. A great price. I figured with the 5 year warranty I will be putting it to a good test with all the TSI work over the next 5 years. Thanks for all the input and whoever mentioned the 361p early on. Thanks

Update: I have been running the 361p and it is a fantastic saw. It is super light and cuts with plenty of speed and power. Works great for the TSI work I am doing. Does this saw have a cat in the muffler? If it does is there a way of removing it without voiding the 5 year warranty?

Back