Advice on sharpening Stihl Ms291

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PAcarver

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello,

Stihl MS291 has me baffled. This is the chain: STIHL 3689 005 0081 Oilomatic 26 RM3 81. I have sharpened countless chainsaws in my life using nothing but a file and I have never had a problem until I purchased this saw. I am doing everything right. I am holding a 3/16 file at a 30 degree angle, and perfectly level, yet after a few sharpenings the chain is so dull that it's like trying to cut wood with a butter knife, The depth gauges are fine. I am on my second chain. I got so frustrated with the first one, that I tossed it in the trash. By looking at the tooth it looks like I am removing the tooth's working corner, but if I am doing everything properly why would this happen? I am beyond frustrated.

Glad you got it figured out. Frustrating I'm sure.

I've a 26 RM3 67 on my Stihl MS-270 and for almost a year have been sharpening it with Husky's Roller guide (that fit right into place). Part #505 69 81-09, 0.325", H22, H25, 4.8mm file. The #9137 may show up as well. I just use my normal 3\16 file on it. The depth gauge file guide that flips around does not work, so I use my normal Sthil tool for the depth gauges.

Husky's roller guide is the easiest and quickest way for me to get consistently sharp chains. It was even noodling for me on one occasion.

Latest posts

Back