After The Glory Is Completed

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The logging was finished about a year ago. The logger piled some of the slash, but didn't work too much on these piles because they are in a wet area and everybody figured the piles wouldn't burn. Well, my friend got one going yesterday, so I came out today and took pictures.

Tools used: Propane torch, leaf blower, chainsaw, firewood, and small tractor to get stuff down there.

When I arrived, there was trouble. There was a big hole under this pile and not much small slash to get it going.
burning fail0001.JPG

burning fail0001_1.JPG

burning fail0001_2.JPG

burning fail0001_3.JPG
Some accelerent was poured on.
burning fail0001_4.JPG
Then it went back to barely burning. We were cold because we couldn't get the pile to torch, so went away. The woodstove sure felt good when I got home.
burning fail0001_5.JPG

Oh come on guys...have ya never read "The Anarchist's Cookbook"? There is NOTHING you can't burn if you combine a gallon of gasoline with a couple pounds of styrofoam! Whoot!

disclaimer..if the feds are viewing this thread feel free to delete my post...LMAO

Velux tube0001.JPG Velux tube0001.JPG Here is how the newly planted cedar is protected. This area has a large herd that beds down here year round. They'll lie down on the tubing and sometimes rip it out. Part of the area is planted with a cedar and a spruce in the same hole. The spruce is stickery and discourages brousing. When the trees reach 3 or 4 feet tall, the spruce is cut and the cedar is left.

I thought I posted this yesterday, but it still was here. Oh well. Now there are two pictures...I tried.

Hey Ms. P, have you marked alot of "wild" growth thinnings? I have some pine thickets that need thinned. Are there any articles you could point me to as to what to cut. There are obvious ones...I'm talking if you have 10 pine poles that are of equal quality and height...which do you take and what % of the 10 do you leave? Thanks.

Good idea. The only Foresters I ever run into are NFS guys. I guess I can contact DNR and ask about foresters. I need a good oak guy also.

Clint, yours is the first reference to The Anarchist's Cookbook that I have heard in 35 years. Even in those days, it was kept in the restricted section of the University library and you had to sign a bunch of forms just to handle it - you could read it there but you could not check it out. I guess I have been on the watch list ever since. I guess you are now. Anyway it had some good stump removal recipes, but so did the local Ag Extension offices of the day.

Note to slowp: My last burn pile burned for almost two weeks once I got it going with a little daily stoking with a fork and a leaf blower.

Ron

Clint, yours is the first reference to The Anarchist's Cookbook that I have heard in 35 years. Even in those days, it was kept in the restricted section of the University library and you had to sign a bunch of forms just to handle it - you could read it there but you could not check it out. I guess I have been on the watch list ever since. I guess you are now. Anyway it had some good stump removal recipes, but so did the local Ag Extension offices of the day.

Note to slowp: My last burn pile burned for almost two weeks once I got it going with a little daily stoking with a fork and a leaf blower.

Ron

LOL...If you were going to college in Berkeley in the 60s they issued you a copy along with your class schedule. Okay, that's a slight exaggeration but only slight.

Latest posts

Back