Aftermarket chains

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Otter

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
What are good brands of chainsaw chains to purchase and those to stay away from. Reason I'm asking looking at buying a spinner and breaker want build my own chains know other reason then that like to be some what self sufficient just curious don't want to buy junk and be a statistic from buying bad equipment

You can get the breaker and spinner and the chain and anything needed to assemble chain from Stihl but that is not aftermarket. For a blanket statement they have the superior product at least on the small end I can say that. Oregon could be considered aftermarket Husqvarna (and others) well sort of. I wold suggest start out modifying loops so you can get to make your own mind up what suits your needs.

What are good brands of chainsaw chains to purchase and those to stay away from. Reason I'm asking looking at buying a spinner and breaker want build my own chains know other reason then that like to be some what self sufficient just curious don't want to buy junk and be a statistic from buying bad equipment
I've been buying nothing but Woodland Pro chisel chains from Bailey's for 5 years now! Excellent chains and can't beat the price!!

Oregon is the largest manufacturer of saw chain in the world. They also make 'OEM' chain for many brands of chainsaws (labeled with the names of the individual chainsaw companies). STIHL makes their own chain.

Blount, the parent company of Oregon also owns Carlton, KOX (Europe), and some other brands. Carlton is sold as 'Woodland Pro' chain by Bailey's.

Tri-Link is sold at Home Depot, and by other companies under many different names, but marked the same ('OOO').

There may be a few other brands of chain made by smaller companies, or by contract manufacturers, but not very common.

So, STIHL, Oregon, Carlton, and Tri-Link are basically your choices.

Philbert

Some of the trilink/bylink smaller chain looks a lot like oregon 90/91 series chain IMO and often does not have the saftey features. It can cut really well but it can stretch a lot too. I would never call oregon or carlton AM chain, as philbert per what Philbert says.

silver streak
rotary
Forester has bar and chain combinations perhaps they have chain.
How many of these are marked OOO? and can one safely say that across all of their product?
GB perhaps
I stopped in my earlier post as I am not in a position to comment an any avoid choices based on brand.

Waiting to see what the Husqvarna chain factory comes to market with and at what price point.

There is a lot of personal brand preference with chain. Just like buying tires for your car: you may find lots of tires that fit, but some people like Michelin, some people like Firestone, some people like Cooper, etc.

Before you invest in a 100 foot roll of chain, you might want to buy a few loops of different brands and types to see what you like.

Philbert

Stihl chain is most often considered the best and I agree but it isn't so much better then Oregon or Carlton that it makes them junk. Most of their chain I believe is very close in quality to Stihl. Chain labeled Windsor and Sandvik have been good for me and I thought Windsor chain was still being made by Blount also. There is some old stock here and there from various manufactures that is so so, hit and miss on quality. If you think you might want to sell some chain, most people will go for Stihl chain before the others. I'm not trusting the Chinese chain myself, they are the ones pushing the most junk.

The choice is pretty much between Stihl and Blount.
Blount owns Oregon, Carlton and Kox and manufactures the chains used by Husqvarna: Husky is big enough to dictate its own specs but in the end Husqvarna chains = Oregon chains.
I have no idea who manufactures the chains used by Japanese companies such as Yamabiko, Maruyama, Makita etc but it would not surprise me if it were Blount.

To be completely honest there isn't that much difference between the two: the various Stihl Rapid models seem to stay sharp longer when cutting hardwood but that may be subjective.

I bought a roll of the cheap stuff most came back with broken links . Live and learn , won't be doing that again .

I've had some bad experiences with cheap chains , stick to genuine Stihl / Husky , Oregon and you won't have any problems .

Back