Aftermarket ms390 cylinder

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2stroke800

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Long time lurker, first time poster... haha! Soo, i have a ms310 and want to order a new 390 piston/cylinder for it and port it myself. I have seen mixed reviews on aftermarket kits and am curious which aftermarket companies are the most reliable. I considered oem but dont want to spend that much when there is a chance of me ****** it up since this will be my first time porting anything.. any help would be great! Thanks in advance!!

Long time lurker, first time poster... haha! Soo, i have a ms310 and want to order a new 390 piston/cylinder for it and port it myself. I have seen mixed reviews on aftermarket kits and am curious which aftermarket companies are the most reliable. I considered oem but dont want to spend that much when there is a chance of me ****** it up since this will be my first time porting anything.. any help would be great! Thanks in advance!!

Farmer Tech bought through Huztl. Just be sure to throw away their piston circlips and use some genuine Stihl ones. There have been a handful of failures on those circlips and only on the circlips. Apparently Farmer Tech is on the case but I wouldn't hold my breath, so it's better to be safe than sorry.

I've never done any porting, but logic would say practice on the old one first, just to get a feel for it. If you like how it looks, then go for it on the new one. Maybe I'm wrong, but you waste nothing other than time practicing that way...

The argument against that is the high rpms shake them out because of more mass. IDK it sounds very plausible.
I've installed several of the AM ones and never had a problem. We had one fellow on here that said he broke one on his saw but that's a one off thing and I think we concluded it was cracked during the manufacturing process. My problem more than breaking them is losing them. I know I have a dozen of them laying all around my garage..

I've installed several of the AM ones and never had a problem. We had one fellow on here that said he broke one on his saw but that's a one off thing. My problem more than breaking them is losing them. I know I have a dozen of them laying all around my garage..
Put a strong magnet right next to it when working. You got a 50 percent chance of saving it.

OEM clips are smaller diameter (thickness of wire) for this application. Although, I've used them with no failures. Would like to have one that fits the application better. Sources for a better fitting clip?

Not all the AM clips are the same. I had some that were brownish colored that worked real well and I've had some silver colored ones that were little more than bailing wire. The bad thing is I don't remember which vendor had the good clips.

Lookup up Definitive Dave on here he sells them. Best guy to deal with I can tell you from my dealings with him.
Listen to what this man says.... I have also done business with Dave.... If you deal with him you will get good stuff, and IT WILL be on time!!!!

Just all around great, easy business!!!!'n

Back