Air bags or helper springs...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RAMROD48

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
99 Dakota, yes its rated for the load...

what are your experiences with each?

are either one worth it?

Bags IMHO. Easy install & adjustable for running empty if you don't haul all the time. The price is not as painful as it was either. The bags really help the o e stacks last longer as well. A C

Bags IMHO. Easy install & adjustable for running empty if you don't haul all the time. The price is not as painful as it was either. The bags really help the o e stacks last longer as well. A C

yeah, that was what i wanted...I am having a heck of a time finding bags to fit a 99 dakota:censored:

I had bags on one of my past trucks and thought they were a pain. Hard to install and they would lose pressure. I can't remember who made them as it was several years ago.

I switched to helper springs and liked them so much I added a set to my current truck. Got them at Pep Boys for $35. Easy to install on the leaf springs and come in different capacities.

I have a shortbed 4 cylinder 5 speed 4x4 tacoma. Running forever is it's strong point, leaf springs are certainly it's weak point. Look into Hellwig EZ level helper springs before you decide. I went with the EZ level 550 helper springs. The "550" stands for how much weight you can put in the bed with the truck remaining level. They were a marginal help, as I said the stock tacoma leaf springs are weak but the helper springs were about $60. Easy bolt on installation. I constantly haul @ the trucks 3500# tow limit with a loaded bed&trailer and as their name suggests, they do help.

Nah, the best is timbren rubber springs. Cheap, easiest to install with no drilling, won't change ride until you're loaded down, can't leak, and don't need to be adjusted.

+1 Timbren, but I mounted mine high and sacrificed ride since I haul so much. My truck will only go down 1" no matter how much I put on it :)

99 Dakota?? Wha' ?? :confused:

Oh! My bad. I thought you were asking about what kind of people we need in Congress.

We could sure use a few helpers. We have too many of the other kind already.

:D

If you are handy in the shop, you can got to the local truck store and buy the bags and fittings needed to make your own air suspension. Not a whole lot to it. Just some plates and shackles.

ETA...But with a Dakota, the bags may help the sag but keep the powertain and braking in mind.

Airbags.. easy to install.. adjustable from a little ATV trailer to 8K worth of rounds. I've had set of 3,500 lbs. AirRides on my truck for over 10 years with zero pressure loss and no bag or line failures.

I daily drive my F350 so my back loves the ability to lower them down to 20psi and not beat what little brains I have out.

If you are handy in the shop, you can got to the local truck store and buy the bags and fittings needed to make your own air suspension. Not a whole lot to it. Just some plates and shackles.

ETA...But with a Dakota, the bags may help the sag but keep the powertain and braking in mind.

Installed the trailer brakes yestarday....works great...:clap:

found a set of air ride bags, for $200...gonna look into them....:clap:

dont mean to thread jack but has anyone had experience with them for a f150? if i can get a set for around $200 i might consider it, i always though theyd be much more expensive,. i could definitely use some for my f150

dont mean to thread jack but has anyone had experience with them for a f150? if i can get a set for around $200 i might consider it, i always though theyd be much more expensive,. i could definitely use some for my f150

Not an F150, but I helped put a set on a neighbors K1500 and it worked well to level it out when pulling the car trailer. Air it up to haul, air it down for cruising....:)

Another good thing about being to adjust the air bags to the weight of the load. I that you do not end up with the headlight pointing up in the air. Its no fun hauling in a snow storm and the light are pointed up you can't see the road and the lights are reflecting off the snow like you got your high beams on.

Billy

99 Dakota, yes its rated for the load...

what are your experiences with each?

are either one worth it?

I have set of air lifts under the back of my Grand Cherokee. It keeps my 16 ft trailer nice and level and makes the truck ride nice too. Here's an application guide that looks like they'll have some for your Dakota. http://www.airliftcompany.com/application_guide.php I paid about 100 bucks for my set off ebay. Here's a set on ebay now that looks like they'll fit your truck. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Airl...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

I've got a set of Timbrens in my garage that I need to finally install under my F150 this weekend. They've been on the workbench for 2 months...

You might consider air shocks too. I installed a set on my 96 Tahoe and pull a 12' 3500lb axle trailer. No leaks, adjustable ride. Usually put 90lbs air in em when hauling full loads of wood, and run 35lbs without trailer. Picked em up for 90 bucks at Napa auto parts. Installed the air valve stem inside the gas cap compartment for easy access, outa site outa mind.
attachment.php

:cheers:

You might consider air shocks too.

:cheers:

For lighter, occasional loads they will be OK. If you're gonna load them heavily, or often, then look into air bags or an add a leaf.

The reason for this is that shock mounts aren't designed to carry much of a load, and they will eventually crack or break. Also, the air shocks when cranked up are no longer doing a good job of well, dampening shocks, anymore.

O.k. so I am thinking that maybe i just had to much weight up front....here is a cord of wood in the trailer today....I took care to make sure there was still weight on the hitch but put most of the load on the axles....NO SWAY...and the electric brakes make it almost a pleasure to deliver wood now...

Just wish I could get a little better mileage with the Dakota (even without the trailer)

yea i would be against air shocks, shocks are meant to control the movement, not take the weight of the load, thats what the springs are for

Back