Air Impact Wrenches

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

powerking

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Ok...SO im setting out buy a new impact wrench.......What do you guys have? I dont have a lot of money to spend on it, so im just seeing what you guys might suggest. I have a older craftsman, but i cant find ANY info on what the torque is?? Its only a few years old. Also, Does the coupler size make that much of a difference? EverythingI have here at the house uses a 1/4" coupler. Everything at the shop uses 3/8" couplers and seems to have more power??
:msp_confused:

I've never bought one the one i have is an Atlas Copco (my dad retired from there) it was about $600 but my dad got free as it was a demo and the coupler is 3/8. Im not sure what the torque is but it will break a lug nut right off no problem.

3/8 is much better yes. If you want a lot of power Ingersol Rand TI max is about the best. I have a snap on and its good but there are stronger guns out there.

Another vote for IR Titanium. Got one of those, an IR 231, and a couple others, and the IR-TI outpowers the others by a pretty substantial margin, and it weighs less.

What he said, IR 231 best bang for you buck. I have one of them.
I also have IR231 TQ MAX, yard sale special, to die for!!
But could not afford to buy it new.

BBB

A couple of years ago I abandoned my IR 2135ti for an Air Cat 1200K. I couldn't be happier with the Air Cat, very nice design, quiet, and about 25% more powerful than anything else in 1/2" square. I use 1/4" couplers and may be leaving some torque on the table, but it works fine for me. However, my go to gun is the IR 2115ti in 3/8 square. It is about 300 ft/lb and will do 90% of my work. If I could have only one it would be the Air Cat 1200K. It has more torque, on a 1/4" air coupler, than I can put out with a 30" breaker bar. On a 3/8" air coupler it might just blow my mind!

[video=youtube_share;VFpzsoC3xw4]http://youtu.be/VFpzsoC3xw4[/video]

I have been using an EarthQuake 1/2" impact from Harbor freight for quite a while. It is the earlier version and suffers much abuse. It has worked flawlessly and held up better than any other brand of 1/2" impact that I have bought/used for less than $300.00. I paid around $100.00 for it at the time, the EarthQuake replaced yet another very disappointing IR 1/2" and has been a very good tool. I would purchase another one if the specs/price were similar.

i have an older craftsman 1/2 impact model 872-188992. never had any problems but it was rated for 500 max torque and something like 95-325 working torque. I picked up the HF 1/2 earthquake for the times i needed more power. It is rated at 700 max torque and def has way more power than the craftsman. look for a 20% coupon and you could pick one up for around 70 bucks. In my eyes, nothing comes close to its performance for the price.

Another vote for IR Titanium. Got one of those, an IR 231, and a couple others, and the IR-TI outpowers the others by a pretty substantial margin, and it weighs less.

I have one of the IR 231's that is over 25 years old and it still works fine. My brother bought a new 231 and its not close to the power of my old one. I may have something to do with it being built in China. I will not buy another one because they are built in that country.

Later
Dan

Since nobody else will... Let me point out that an IR 231 is not titanium. The 2135ti or 2135timax are.

I have my old Mac 25th anniversary gun and a Kobalt gun, I use the Kobalt mostly and break out the Mac gun for rusty nasty stuff.

I had an old craftsman like the one you have and it was a huge piece of ####... Went to home depot and bought a Husky, I think it was a little over $100. It has not failed to break anything loose yet. I've used it several times on the bed knife of my chipper- inch and a 16th heads on the bolts and It works great.

I maybe use it once a month for a project or two, so the longevity may be in question. If you are really serious look into the snap on's matco's...you know, professional crap.

Back