"Air Injection" is it that big a deal?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cowboy Tom

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
OK,

Did some milling this weekend and got tired of cleaning filters. Was thinking that and "air injected" Husky might be handy. Does it work that well in reality (yes, I've seen the YouTube video). Also, do any of the 2.. series Husky's have it or do any of the Stihls work to the same level? If an 066 stays pretty clean I was thinking a big bore kit and muffler mod might make it a very nifty little milling saw. Otherwise, a 395.

Thanks,

CT

My 066 stay clean enough for a hard days' milling. I might bang out the prefilter now and then..... Look after the pre-filter, and you'll rarely have to clean out the main filter. The bad filters I see at the shop are almost always the result of curled up and messed up prefilters..

Last edited:
OK,

Did some milling this weekend and got tired of cleaning filters. Was thinking that and "air injected" Husky might be handy. Does it work that well in reality (yes, I've seen the YouTube video). Also, do any of the 2.. series Husky's have it or do any of the Stihls work to the same level? If an 066 stays pretty clean I was thinking a big bore kit and muffler mod might make it a very nifty little milling saw. Otherwise, a 395.

Thanks,

CT

Get another pre-filter and swap them out. Keep the chain sharp. Is it worth buying a new saw? If your 066 has good compression, then keep the top-end you have. If it is not allready on there, get the dual port muffler cover.

My 066 stay clean enough for a hard days' milling. I might bang out the prefilter now and then..... Look after the pre-filter, and you'll rarely have to clean out the main filter. The bad filters I see at the shop are almost always the result of curled up and messed up prefilters..

And the Legendary bad filters are the ones where the Pre-filter was removed....and a little oil was added to the main element "K&N style"....ask me how I know this...:dizzy:

yep....

Those filters haven't been made for 10 years though, but it's amazing how many are still in use:dizzy: They also use a different prefilter (size) and dealer sell (or users buy) the wrong one often...

Last edited:
yep....

Those filters haven't been made for 10 years though, but it's amazing how many are still in use:dizzy: They also use a different prefilter (size) and dealer sell (or users buy) the wrong one often...

Uhhh...that would be me...I have three of them for my 044. I have never seen them pass any dirt and they have the updated pre-filter on them. I know that the new ones are better, but the DW gets these squeaky clean...:D

My 660 and 460 get dirty fast compared to my 394 and my old 371. The 441 stays super clean. Some people are bothered by this, like me, and some aren't. Just because the air filter stays cleaner on some saws does not mean they don't all need the same care.

Edited to ad; my comments were in regard to normal falling and bucking and not milling.

Last edited:
OK,

Thanks,

CT
I had a Husky 55 w/ air injection . It needed cleaned about half to a third as often as my O34 when it stayed running. If I remember right Husky's brochure claimed it stayed clean 10 times better. My new Makita DCS seems to do better then the Husky 55 from what I remember.

Stihl 088 Air Filter Question

Oops.. I meant to post this in a new thread.. :)

Last edited:
Back