All members participating in the helmet signing, please check in here.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A very noble cause avalancher... my admiration extended to you for your fortitude in this endeavor.

However, I believe it is only pure dumb luck that you've managed to keep track of, and retrieve the helmet after nearly a year. I'm a member of several different sorts of boards, all reflecting my varied interests (always as Whitespider, I'm easy to find) and I've seen this sort of "send it around" thing several times... nearly always ends in disappointment and/or hard feelings. Way, way, way too many things can go wrong... like the postman leaves it on the wrong doorstep, or he leaves it on the right doorstep and the neighbor steals it, or the guy with current possession dies or gets tossed in jail, or someones dog chews it up, or the kids use it to play "kick the helmet" or someone just takes advantage and disappears with it, or................. [insert "1000 and 1 ways to lose a helmet" here]

The only time I've seen this type of thing work is if ONE person is in control. He sends out, with the return postage back to himself included, tracking it and requiring a signature of/at delivery. When he gets it back he inspects if for damage and such (but you still don't know if the last person caused the damage, or if it happened in transit, do you?) Then he sends it to the next person... expensive and time consuming.

Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not a negative person... I believe that the vast majority of people are "good" people...
But anything can go wrong, and there is that 0ne-Out-Of-A-Thousand that are just flat "bad" people...

...Trust... But Verify...

If you intend to continue, I wish you luck my friend.

Addendum

I remember on one board (won't say which, or what the item was) the item arrived at one of the members homes... he wasn't home at the time and the wife received it. Well it seems the wife had recently caught him doinkin' the babysitter... so she took the item out in the driveway and ran over it several times with her car!

Anything can happen!

Send it to me and I'll bring this fiasco to a fitting conclusion complete with photos.

I was wondering when you were going to show up and add your $.30 worth of negative comments,im sure glad you didnt dissapoint me.

Im glad your feeling better Treeco, I reckon you must have finally found a good proctologist that was able to help you with that "fence post where the sun dont shine" problem, and I admire your ability to walk around with it all these years.But Im curious,how in the heck do you drive a truck with that thing sticking out?Got a special made seat or something?Maybe you just ride in the back and let the missus do all the driving?
I would have sent you a get well card, but the postman told me they dont deliver to hell.

A very noble cause avalancher... my admiration extended to you for your fortitude in this endeavor.

However, I believe it is only pure dumb luck that you've managed to keep track of, and retrieve the helmet after nearly a year. I'm a member of several different sorts of boards, all reflecting my varied interests (always as Whitespider, I'm easy to find) and I've seen this sort of "send it around" thing several times... nearly always ends in disappointment and/or hard feelings. Way, way, way too many things can go wrong... like the postman leaves it on the wrong doorstep, or he leaves it on the right doorstep and the neighbor steals it, or the guy with current possession dies or gets tossed in jail, or someones dog chews it up, or the kids use it to play "kick the helmet" or someone just takes advantage and disappears with it, or................. [insert "1000 and 1 ways to lose a helmet" here]

The only time I've seen this type of thing work is if ONE person is in control. He sends out, with the return postage back to himself included, tracking it and requiring a signature of/at delivery. When he gets it back he inspects if for damage and such (but you still don't know if the last person caused the damage, or if it happened in transit, do you?) Then he sends it to the next person... expensive and time consuming.

Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not a negative person... I believe that the vast majority of people are "good" people...
But anything can go wrong, and there is that 0ne-Out-Of-A-Thousand that are just flat "bad" people...

...Trust... But Verify...

If you intend to continue, I wish you luck my friend.

You bring up some good points, you really do.But considering all the members that have had this thing so far, we really didnt have much problem.The biggest thing that came along to affect this drive was the change that happened the beginning of the year.A number of members moved on to other sites and a number of them got banned for making comments about the changes.

I am going to post the list maybe tomorrow of all the members that are on the first list that appear to be active members still, and give them all a chance to chime in if they still want to be an active participant in this drive.After that, I will empty my inbox and start taking any members that want to be added.

Maybe the time has come for members to prepay their shot at signing it thru paypal, include a hefty deposit as a guarantee that you get it back in a timely fashion.

At least your obsession with the lower G.I. track isn't costing a lot of people a #### load of postage! :laugh:

Dont worry man, even with all that pent up hostility and anger, your momma still thinks your pretty.:msp_thumbsup:

So what is going on with the helmet?

Beefie

After I spent over a month weeding out all the members on the sign up sheet that had decided to move on after the changes at the first of the year, I posted about some of the problems we had encountered.Most important, members sitting on the thing for up to a month before sending it back out.

I then sent it back out to three members that were close by, and monitored the tracking numbers almost daily.Again, we had a member that took over three weeks before sending it back on to the next member.At this point, I have discarded the sign up sheet that we originally had, and planned on giving it to a member with a raffle at the end of the year.The only way I will even consider sending this back out is to have a public list posted here so that everyone can see who is sitting on the dang thing.Why it is so hard to get the thing,sign it, and get it back in the mail is beyond me. In reality, this thing could have been not only one of the coolest projects we have ever tackled together, but could have been a very treasured item for someone like myself that spends a lot of time around here.I am sure disapointed in this whole thing.Anyone got any suggestions, I am open.

Sounds good to me. But as far as Im concerned i could just drive to your house in Newport to sign it. I would like to sign it too though. Whatever ya think man.

accountability is always a good thing. set up a public list with three columns (maybe more). name, date delivered, date mailed back. public scorn is always an effective method. i'd really like to sign it. thanks for all your work on this.

Well, they only option is to post the list here, send it on its way, and have every member check in to the thread, say they got it, and where they are sending it to. That way not only do I get freed up from hassling someone with Pm's to get their butt in gear, but you all get a chance to publicly embarrass the guy.Sure, I understand things come up and you cant get to the post office.It may take you a couple of days to get there. But when a guy sits on the dang thing for three weeks, well...that just aint trying in my book.

I dont mind the work, the time spent plotting the route, checking that the thing keeps moving, etc. What I do mind is getting stupid excuses in a PM like, "Well, I had a lot of lawn to mow this week, my dads lawnmower broke down and I had to mow his lawn and mine too." Yeah?Well, we all got lawns to mow.We all got jobs to work at, saws to fix, wood to cut, toe nails to clip, Law and Order to watch, fingers to paint, laundry to do, boogers to pick. And I am dang sure while you were out driving to dads to mow the lawn while picking your boogers and watching Law and Order on the dash set, you drove right past a Post Office!

accountability is always a good thing. set up a public list with three columns (maybe more). name, date delivered, date mailed back. public scorn is always an effective method. i'd really like to sign it. thanks for all your work on this.

I agree with you on that Jerry. An open 'read only' Roster would encourage expedition of the process.

I signed up to sign it in the beginning, and I would love to sign it this time around. If nothing else I would love to see some pics of it.
I totally understand the pain and BS you have to go through being the honcho on this.
It totally sucks that some guys flake out.
If this is still a go, I would love to sign it.

Alright, you guys wanna make another go of it? I dont mind telling you that if I start another thread explaining what we are doing, what its all about, and what you need to do if you want to participate and some clown sends me a PM about needing a manicure in mexico and he ran into trouble at the border because of his spiked hairdo and thats why it took him 54.75 days to get the thing sent back out, i will retire with a bag of Tootsie Rolls to my den and die of a sugar induced high speed accident with a fire poker.

Back