All sorts of bad luck today...darn it

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RED-85-Z51

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I got bored so I pulled out some of the saws to cut some of our wood down to a better size for the fireplace.

If you'll recall, I had all my saws running a couple months ago when we had a Hurrican headed our way..

Well I pulled em out of the shed and gave em a once over.

Pulled the rope on the MAC 160S...nothing. No spark

So I pulled out the Poulan XXV...pulled the rope and Pop..rope broke.

Pulled out the Tanaka, pulled the rope some 10 times, and it finally started and ran okay. Took it over to the wood and it cut terrible. It barely threw out dust. I checked and the chain was on right, but it was so dull.
Thing is, that was a new chain. I now remember trying to cut a root at my cousins house a while back..I guess thats all it took.

Went for the Homelite XL, put some gas in it...sure enough the gas tank I fixed dumped gas out everywhere.

MAde my way to the Timber Bear, and it cranked on the 3rd pull and ran fine, took it over to the pile and made my cuts, probably 25 minutes worth of cutting some logs in half.

Went back to the shed and pulled out the Poulan 2300av, pulled the rope and it started but wouldnt idle to save its life.

The Wizard is still waiting on a nice used Carb to replace the crappy one on it now.

The Poulan 306A is waiting on a muffler.

Bad day to be a saw in my posession I guess :dizzy:

Oh well, I guess I get to play with the saws tomorrow and see what I can get fixed.

Also, Ive still got the Echo CS-520 that I fixed for a customer but he decided not to pay after I fixed it. Ive called him, and left numerous messages, but he never cals back, Its been 0ver 2 months now.
And Ive got $135 just sitting there collectiong dust...and that makes me mad.

Tommy -

EDIT- Also, the Mac FR4618 decided that it wont Idle anymore after starting on the 1st pull. I suspect the rubber intake coupler is shot, after I tried to fix it. Oh well, thats the one I wanted to use too....

Today my grandmother died, one of my dads fishing boats sank and 3 people died, my dads wife had surgery for her kidney stones, and one of my aunts dogs died.

Some day.

bad day

Do you know a Husky dealer?But the way your luck is running they probably went out of business!

ebay those old buzzards and use the echo,my dad had a poulan once,I still remember him getting out in a clearing and swinging it around by it's pull rope like an olympic hammer toss,funniest thing I have ever seen.
he let it go and it shot off into the woods..... I didn't dare go get it!!

mini kahuna said:
my dad had a poulan once,I still remember him getting out in a clearing and swinging it around by it's pull rope like an olympic hammer toss,funniest thing I have ever seen.
he let it go and it shot off into the woods..... I didn't dare go get it!!

:ices_rofl: That is hilarious!

Kevin

04ultra said:
Red this sounds like the same story you told us the last couple times you posted...Sounds like you need to find a better mechanic...
Now thats funny. Seems Red dissapears for a while then returns with the same old stuff.:deadhorse:

Geez, that sucks. If those were my saws, and especially if I lived in a huricane zone, I'd either pitch every single one of 'em and get a couple 100% reliable saws, or I'd keep 'em around for fix-its and fun and still get a couple 100% reliable saws. Tools ain't worth a darn if they don't work when you need them to. Period.

Just Mow said:
Now thats funny. Seems Red dissapears for a while then returns with the same old stuff.:deadhorse:

LOL, we dont get much call for saws anymore, so they sit for a while. I got em all running a few months ago for that storm, which never came here.

Same old stuff...story of my life.

I didnt need the saws for that storm, but of course they worked then. But when I actually need to use them, broke, broke broke

I pulled the MAC160S apart, adjusted the coil gap, had spark again. I put it together, ran it for a minute, cut a few branches up, turned it off. Let it sit a few minutes while I pulled the starter cover off the XXV, put a new rope on, along with a softer handle that wont hurt my hand when I pull it. It started up and ran good.

Went back to the MAC, no spark again. So I give up. I have another coil for the thing in the case, but for those of you who have pulled a MAC 100 series down to the block know, it isnt a fun thing to tear one down. I hate the fuel line and the throttle wire.

I cleaned up the TimberBear, and put it away...best dang saw

Took the cover off the XL, and the fuel tank is split again, for sure. LAst ditch effort Ill pour some Fiberglass in the tank and let it set. But that will be a winter project, so it goes under the bench with the MAC 160

I sharpened the chain on the tanaka, and it cuts much better now, I still say it is the coolest sounding saw Ive ever used. I should have figured that the root and the dirt around the root would have killed the chain,

And lastly, as I was starting to get a little oily, I did some tweaking on the 2300, and it idles again. It may have been affected by the temp change.

When I tuned them all, it was 95* and really humid. These last few days its been low 70's and mid 60's with virtually no humidity.

And yeah, Ive tried Husky and Stihl, wasnt impressed.

RED-85-Z51 said:
And yeah, Ive tried Husky and Stihl, wasnt impressed.

Not enough fixing and tuning to get em running, eh? :hmm3grin2orange:

blis said:
Not enough fixing and tuning to get em running, eh? :hmm3grin2orange:

Hes only impressed with poulan wildthings..

But he did run a 395 that he bragged about.. But wasnt impressed with the 660 because it weighed to much.. That was funny..

You can't make this stuff up!
RED-85-Z51 said:
MAC 160S...nothing. No spark

Poulan XXV...pulled the rope and Pop..rope broke.

Tanaka, pulled the rope some 10 times, and it finally started ...and it cut terrible. It barely threw out dust.

Homelite XL, the gas tank dumped gas out everywhere.

Timber Bear, ran fine

Poulan 2300av, started but wouldnt idle.

Wizard is still waiting on a nice used Carb to replace the crappy one on it now.

Poulan 306A is waiting on a muffler.

Mac FR4618 wont Idle anymore

Ive tried Husky and Stihl, wasnt impressed.

Pure gold, this!

No they don't, but you can get one at Walmart!!! I am scared of this sugestion though, he might cut of one or all of his toes!!
Andy

Red ...I saw Referb.. Poulan wild thingys for 85.00ea. thought you might want to buy them by the truck load ..

Since Husky's and Stihl's dont impress you..

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back