all you need is a tautline

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally posted by Mike Maas
And then...

This is the kind of closed mind I'm talking about. He's sure it doesn't matter, so sure in fact, he won't spend a half an hour trying it out, but he'll spend an equal amount of time telling the world it doesn't matter.

whatever

Someone asked... was I a hack until I changed my style a few years ago...

Know one likes to admit that he is/was a hack.... BUT here goes....

I actaully cringe when driving by or thinking about some trees I pruned years ago....

So yes.... I Am a reformed hack...

and I have preferred removals to pruning for a long time and usually had others doing most of the pruning... Of late, I haven't had much taste for pruning at all. I tell most clients to keep in mind... "pruning is wounding" ... let's not do it unless there is plenty good reason....

I have an oak in my backyard with significant die back... Lived here over two years and haven't gotten around to taking the deadwood out yet.... only had Big Jon prune two others when Isabel was due to blow through town...

Point being, not everyone was a hack because they used old climbing techniques. I was taught proper pruning from day one.

Hi,

My Name is Ken Casey; i too am a reformed hack...

(hi Ken)

i remember when i had hair in my eviler than Tom Daze; picking thru a tree so finely; even my ol'man couldn't find one thing to point at out of place in a non-tree sense...............

Originally posted by murphy4trees
Of late, I haven't had much taste for pruning at all. I tell most clients to keep in mind... "pruning is wounding" ... let's not do it unless there is plenty good reason....
O gosh murph that is a really scary post but I know there are many in the same frame of mind as you. :(

Pruning is wounding, true, but if by pruning you can but a tree decades of good growth and contributions, it is a very kind thing to do.:)

Removal is a terrible waste if done prematurely. It's our job to prevent that extreme unction.

I think that I shall never hear
A dumber reason to cut than fear
of effort spent on raking leaves.
"Let em rot", arborist believes.

Originally posted by murphy4trees

So yes.... I Am a reformed hack...

and I have preferred removals to pruning for a long time and usually had others doing most of the pruning... Of late, I haven't had much taste for pruning at all. I tell most clients to keep in mind... "pruning is wounding" ... let's not do it unless there is plenty good reason....
[/B]

whoa. pruning is the bread and butter and you are trying to talk your clients out of it?

Latest posts

Back