all you need is a tautline

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
that is an excellent poit netree about the zubat vs the fanno.
where do we draw the line? the intial staement on this post is just so riddiculous that your hitch determines the way you prune.
the beauty of climbing is that we can personnalize it. its all about style and you either have it or you dont. doesnt matter what hitch you use.

I’ve heard a few people mention this Taughtline hitch now, how do you tie one? Does it work?
notooth.gif

on/off topic

First off, I started with an open prussic Ddrt style. Shortly moved to a Th then blakes. Blakes is far superior to the others. That's what I now climb on day-in, day-out.

Bought some 1/4 in T-900 cord from NErope to try out these advanced hitches that you all speak so highly off. So far, I just don't like 'em. Tried the V.T. and distel knots.

My main problem is that I wonder how you ascend into the tree with that kind of set-up? If you can't foot-lock then it's a waste of energy IMO.:eek: I'll admit that I haven't worked a tree yet with those knots. But what's the point of ascending w/ my blakes then switching to a V.T. if I can work seemingly as quick without having to carry more crap. Will someone explain the real benefits of this?:confused: The guys that I work with are stuck in their ways, so you folks are the only help that I have.

MM, Dear God. Where to start? Haven't you learned that there are various amounts of ways that you can do something. Just because someone's Old School doesn't make them a hack. They found their niche and it apparently works from them. Who really cares. Why do you care?

Also, when did climbing styles make better arborist? One way or the other PROPER pruning and SAFETY are all that really matters.
Your theory;

Tautline hitch means old school hack, modern hitch means progressive non-hack.

makes little sense.:angry:

On a side note;
I have nothing but the utmost respest for my fellow AS members. It goes to show that we all care enough about what we do to spend time outside of work to discuss our profession. We have a great way to learn new/different ways to do our job. Though, remember,what works for some may not work for others.

On any given day I know for a fact that Butch & Mike can out climb me. I like to take advantage of the lastest tech/gizmos out there. If Butch wants to stay using the tautline that is cool. I won't touch that hitch!

In my mind it all depends on what you are comfortable with and like!

Whatever you use..........use it and be happy!:D

Originally posted by TreeCo
A closed mind about climbing techniques is a bad sign.
As much as I love to disagree with Mike when he rant against reduction cuts(yes mb he is so off the wall sometimes I think he's trollin', got a rod in his hand--a fishing rod I mean of course :blush: ), he and Dan are right here. If your mind is closed to new climbing rigs, is your mind open to new tree care ideas?:confused:

Like I tell my kids, if you can't learn algebra, can you learn to do fun things?

wct
the way you ascend on a distel or swabisch is (from right hander)
pull down on rope above hitch and get yourself up a little bit then hold in place with left arm. use right arm to reach un hitch and pull slach up with a micro pulley.
i switch between swabisch and blakes hitch depending on the tree. the swabisch is a bit smoother, but no great difference ive found besides that.
never tried the v.t.

Gotta pass on the recommendation for sleeping aids, bud, all I need is a clear conscience. Or a fairly unfouled one, anyways. And take it easy on omega ok? He knows and can use the distel and the swabisch, which puts him 2 up on me (no great feat).

And if he took 30 minutes to type four lines, he's slower at the keyboard than you are at learning reduction pruning cuts! :D :eek: :D

Stillwaiting for your next reply to the heading thread.:p

Originally posted by MasterBlaster
Blunts suck! :rolleyes:

Isn't that kinda backwierdz?

i think Blake's is a 1 tailed French Prusik, sitting on the other end, to create pull, like it was hooked to saddle, pulling on both ends of the coil. i think tied loosely it fits MB's challenge for another friction hitch to tie 1 handed.

Also, the construction of a Distel, is so similar to Tautline, i would think it could be managed if one had a mind to...

Awe, come on,

i been mostly leaving you alone.........:blob2:

Originally posted by Guy Meilleur

Stillwaiting for your next reply to the heading thread.:p

I've taken what you said and am digesting it. Meanwhile I have been working in the field and looking at any old stem injuries, studying and disecting as I see fit. I'm trying to understand.
Now you need understand, this in no way means your right, I'm just trying to get in tune with the subject at hand.
This of course, goes hand in hand with the topic of this thread, willingness to embrace change.
The tautline hitch is just one of thousands and thousands of subjects we need to stay on top of.

Originally posted by Mike Maas
I'm trying to understand.
I'm just trying to get in tune with the subject at hand.
Me too.:)

What else is there to do but :Eye: and learn?

If you've tried something, didn't like it, and ended up switching back to something simpler are you still "closed-minded"?

Maybe... JUST MAYBE....
Those of you who are getting all up in Mike's face on this....
REALLY ARE HACKS AND YOU JUST DON'T KNOW IT!

I mean how do any of us really know that we are not hacks?... What are we comparing ourselves to?

Take the guy that inspired this thread... Been cutting trees for 35 years... one of the first guys in our area to have a 65' bucket...
Do you think HE thinks he is a hack? Of course not... No One does... even the McPeaks with their "proper sized" spikes don't think they are hacks...

But who do they have to compare themselves to... They never saw a Chisholm or Strasser or Roachy or Big Jon prune a tree....
How many of you have worked with or seen a world class arborist in action? Where did you get your training?

I personally have seen and video taped Chisholm doing a pruning and a removal and have worked the ground for Big Jon pruning and removing many trees... And I just don't think it is possible... humanly possible... to reach the places he goes, on a TL.... Not without spending a lot more time double crotching etc...

Butch do you remember how many 100' oaks you thought Big Jon could deadwood in a day? He did 7... NO WAY he could have done 7 on a TL...

If the end result is the same, does it really matter how they get there?

Productivity has nothing to do with someone is a hack or not. that's a $$$ concern.

Someone using all the new-school techniques can still be a hack. And vice-versa.

Defining a quality job by the technique of the climber is silly... by that standard, you were a hack until a couple years ago.

I use all the new fangled gear, and I'm still a piss poor climber. It would take me a week what Big John can do in half a day, even if he was using a tautline.

But I am NOT a hack.

quality and quantity are not the same. I may not be able to do both at the same time, but I do know which one is more important.

Back