all you need is a tautline

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
why change from something that works,although the only thing i dont like about t/line is same diamiter rope,but saying that if i didnt have a prussic with me id use it no sweat.its CLIMBING not circus trapize,its all what you make it.

If you've tried something, didn't like it, and ended up switching back to something simpler are you still "closed-minded"?

No, not if you give it a fair chance and are still open to other things. And as in the case of advanced knots, willing to try it again when you get your brain in gear.:rolleyes:

THe point is about the mindset. What kind of fool trys something better and goes back to something inferior?
And frankly, if you tried any hitch other than a tautline, and gave it a fair shake, you wouldn't be argueing right now. You'd be hitting your forehead with the palm of your hand while saying, "Duh!"

I posted this in another thread but will repost it here since we are ripping apart the old TL again. Used the TL over 15 years until I tried a distel with micro-pulley and liked it. Like being able to only tie in once and reclip around something if needed without retying TL. Like the way it holds the line and releases easily. Overall I think it is a better setup to TL and will use it from now on. Only bad thing now is I need to get a different saddle since my d rings are to small to hold 3 clips if needed. 2 clips is fine but if i ever had to double tie in will be crowded on the d ring. Now, was I a hack before using it 2 weeks ago and suddenly transformed 2 weeks ago? I do not think so, although someone else might. I do not believe the method of getting the work done makes any one a hack, I think the quality of work that you do is the main factor. Know a local guy who considered a guru of tree info around here, is the consulting arborist for the region, but has no knowledge about a computer. He looks all his info up in books. Takes a little longer but the info is accurate. If you are using the old methods are hacks theory then I guess he would be one also, but that would be wrong. Just my opinion;)

MM, first of all I enjoy reading yours and Rocky's posts. You obviously have lots of knowledge and experience that you share on here , thats why I read this stuff. Second, no one was taking your post laughable. But I find it hard to believe even though I'm just a weekend hack slob wanna be tree guy, that anyone who uses the THL is a hack and does'nt know anything. You answered my question (which seemed to offend you , pardon me for I am just a low life weekend wanna be) with your own statement: Are there exceptions? Sure. Thats all I was wanting to know. Jeeez.
:( heres another stupid smiley face for ya!

bollox

its all bollox, as long as the job gets done to industry best practice (BS 3998) over here thats all that matter,

someone may climb on a spikes for a prune job, but they are using a vt on their lanyard......does that make them a hack or a pro...they after all are using a vt...

my boss supplies multiplait.....???? him hes a weekend warrior hack.....might as well just weld some spikes to my boots :D

as long as you do as little damage to the tree as possible to get the job done thats all that matters.

jamie

There is a lot of what Brian would refer to as mental masturbation going on here.

I just wonder if all the gear heads you hear talking about hitches, ascenders, and the best biners spend as much time about their climbing cornicies as they do with their studying of physiology and pathology. Seriously doubt it.

I am definitely very into the minutia of climbing but I learned a long time ago that there is way more money in patholgy and PHC work than being a climber and cudder.

Now I am a climber, hired to bang out those 7-8 huge oaks a day like murph rants about.;) Can't wait to do pathology work again.

all you need is love.....gotta love trees

12217.jpg

There another dude that looks like a younger version of him without all that gray on a couple of other threads MB. Guy almost looks like he knows what he's doing too.:D I heard he uses some old timey work methods though so be careful.;)

Originally posted by Nathan Wreyford
I just wonder if all the gear heads you hear talking about hitches, ascenders, and the best biners spend as much time about their climbing cornicies as they do with their studying of physiology and pathology.
style/technique, or substabce/practice? What's in YOUR toolbox?
Not sure what cornicies are, but Nathan's got a point.

there is way more money in patholgy and PHC work than being a climber and cudder.
So true. More money, longer-earned money, easier on the body money, happier customer money, healthier community to live in money.

The best job I've found is to be a climber/PHC guy both. You get the thrills of aerial work, and the unquestioned payment of a high rate from the customer, who sees you do what s/he can't dream of doing. You also get the satisfaction of seeing the objects of your efforts grow, instead of turning them into dead stuff.

Originally posted by Mike Maas
If I see no split tail and he uses a TH, then I think he's out of the loop on tree care in genral, a part timer, or perhaps a new climber. In any event he ain't climbing any of my trees without supervision.
I got no split tail, yet, but I try to stay firmly in the loop on tree care. I'd even say that some are so obsessed with gear and climbing techniques that they can't keep up with arboricultural techniques. Can we serve two masters?

Mike I'm amazed that you're not letting this go, but I shouldn't be by now. I'd look for the converse, not at the saddle but at the mental toolbox. Can they spot the local diseases and know what to do about them? Can they tell a borer hole from a fungal lesion? Can they read the signs of decay and know what to do about them? Can they measure twig elongation?

The fact that you'd give added supervision to a guy with a tlh and implicitly give more trust to a guy with a split tail shows to me that you're worshipping the wrong master. Climbing is the means, but tree care is the end.

at it

thats it, forgot that,

first day at company i was remined that as fun as climbing is, its only purpose is to get you to the work site. does it matter if you drive to work in a rust bucket or a mega bling sporty thing as long as you do the job to the best of your ability (and safely)

jamie

"turning them into dead stuff top grade garden mulch thankyou"

Butchering trees before their time

Is still a harsh, unfortunate crime.

You can turn the lifeless meat

Into candy, sugar sweet.

But in your life you can't give back

What you removed, Lasting Lack.

Anon Y. Mouse

A perfect world would be quite nice.
Where trees could live their long full lives.
But widow Johnson hates the leaves.
So there it goes, and no one grieves.

MB

Po' a Tree

"no one grieves?" How wrong you are!
Good from trees is felt afar.
Cooling, muffling and windbreak,
Food and homes birds and bees make. :heart:

Cleaner air and cleaner water,
Breathed and drank by son and daughter.
Widow Johnson gets her wish, then her
Budget gets broke buying new air conditioner.:cry: