"Almost" tragedy.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Choppy,

I would venture to guess that you are not selling a lot of Oak, Maple, Locust and Cherry up there. WAY different drying times. Compounded by our way above average rainfall this spring/summer/fall/right now, there is no way fresh cut wood would be under 40%.

The only thing we have here in Pa that dries quickly is Ash, and with this years weather, that is not ready in it’s normal 8-10 months.
The period oft ime a stack of wood has stood often has no correlation to its burning properties it's the MC that is the overriding yea or nah a content 20% or any where south is good to go All the green wood I'v come across has an MC of north of 20% need a good meter though the Chi Com ones are a bit Iffy A 4 prong is also better

I agree, though generally speaking here, wood that is processed by early summer is plenty dry to burn that winter.
Wood species, climate, wood storage, etc of course all are factors.

It's why I was asking.

Al I believe he won't accept my help is because of our religious differences. He wouldn't want any of his brethern seeing an English helping him.

Funny growing up we use "an English" to describe someone from away... well "an Anglais" which is French.

The area I grew up in (northern Maine) is French speaking.

I actually didn't learn English until i started school. I remember singing frere Jacques and clueless when the english part came on as I had never heard that language.

I agree, though generally speaking here, wood that is processed by early summer is plenty dry to burn that winter.
Wood species, climate, wood storage, etc of course all are factors.

It's why I was asking.
The wood "Guru's"reckon French oak requires At least 2 summers+1winter before use As we have space the wood cut at a certain time is sold on to be burnt 18month /2years later although customers & ourselves have left overs that may go into a third year

it was in the upper 30's by me yesterday. I had a pretty hot fire going in my insert and thought i would put a bigger elm round in there and that would be good for most of the day. It was from a dead tree and stacked and sat for over a year, been in my garage for 2 months. I had the damper almost fully open. this morning i went outside and noticed my cap was full of glossy creasote, I look at that cap several times a day... so one log can make a mess of your chymney. I added some creasote destroyer a couple times today. and will clean the chymney tomorrow.
I will be sticking to smaller splits when the temps are over 30

Wow very interesting info. I can not imagine any wood under any circumstance taking longer than six months to be under 20%. We have many days where as humidity is well under 20%. If green Oak is cut and split by June or July it will be ready by October. With all the rain you guys get probably do not have any where near the problems we have with wild fires. Here in California we often burn down entire towns just because. Thanks
That is contrary to my experience. I can cut maple, ash, beach in the winter, get it split and stacked in the spring and burn it that same winter/fall with moisture 22-25%. Rarely it's better than 21%. If you dont split a fresh piece and check the center then you can easily get false readings. My locust is reading about 35% in the same amount of time, as does the oak.

5667053251.jpg My cousin sent me this picture today. The catalyst in his insert was clogged and started to fall apart. Smoked up the house pretty bad. Seasoned wood is important but making sure your wood burner is in safe working order is just as important.

Latest posts

Back