Always check overhead. Even when hand splitting firewood.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dalmatian90

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Now, the last couple times I've used this new spot this year I've backed the lawn mower and trailer in on the right.

Today I backed by pickup with a load from the left, which put me on the right side for splitting.

Lots of knots, first piece asked the Fiskars if that's all it had.

I put everything I had into the next overhead swing at it.

My clothesline was overhead.

Was. :hmm3grin2orange:

Sucker hurt like heck when it wasn't sliced but instead snapped and smacked the back of my neck.

Now, the last couple times I've used this new spot this year I've backed the lawn mower and trailer in on the right.

Today I backed by pickup with a load from the left, which put me on the right side for splitting.

Lots of knots, first piece asked the Fiskars if that's all it had.

I put everything I had into the next overhead swing at it.

Sucker hurt like heck when it wasn't sliced but instead snapped and smacked the back of my neck.

:clap::clap::clap: just imagining your thought process as the axe didn't come down right and then getting smacked in the back of the head! Too funny!

Ted

Yes. One time I was busting some big oak rounds up into smaller pieces to load up. I was under an oak tree doing this. First swing I cought a branch! Wasn't expecting it. My back cracked a miilion times. Other branches smacked me in the face knocking off my helmet. Ugh!

Speaking of clotheslines, I had one nearly remove me from my four wheeler as I was mowing the lawn with our pullbehind mower. I was looking back to watch the mower and wham! Good thing I stayed on or the mower could have cut more than just grass that day...

So... did it actually break when it smacked the back of your head or did you go after it in a fury after it got in your way and cut it into 973 very short pieces of rope? :censored:

Just did this yesterday. Swing...snap...whip...whack...caught a branch on the downswing. Knocked off my glasses, put a nice welt across my face and I almost split my shin instead of the slab.

I'm just glad you started this thread Dalmatian90. I was too embarrassed to confess but now that I know there are others with the same affliction I feel much better. I may be able to split again with the support of the AS splitting challenged therapy group...:buttkick::stupid:

I think probably everybody who has ever split by hand has had one of those moments where they had to look around to make sure nobody was looking. I know I have!:clap:

Several stitches in my eyebrow when my bush-axe decided to bounce off an overhead branch at the top of my swing. Almost knocked me out, did put me on my ass bleeding though. On the job, so free tetanus shot!

Remember..
The punch you do not see really hurts..
(The punch you do see, hurts too..)

yes, but just remember, we have all been there...

Now what kind of cool stories do those guys with hyd splitters have?:laugh:

Had a 1/2" bolt snap the Head off like a rifle shot set me on my tail with deflated sails, nasty bruise nothing else, imprint on jacket. Over the years several splits taking flight. If the round does not start to split right away or the unit kicks down I back way up from the business end, but I have been smacked by various poppers. Every once in awhile ya get one that just explodes. Had that with the axe as well.

splitting some knotty relatively dry stuff with the hydraulics. One popped and bit me in the baby maker. That was 3 years ago and I still get nervous. I've learned to stand at a "protective" angle when splitting even if it's a little uncomfortable.

Splitting cedar kindling and the slab popped! right into my sac! :greenpukesmiley:

Had a 1/2" bolt snap the Head off like a rifle shot set me on my tail with deflated sails, nasty bruise nothing else, imprint on jacket. Over the years several splits taking flight. If the round does not start to split right away or the unit kicks down I back way up from the business end, but I have been smacked by various poppers. Every once in awhile ya get one that just explodes. Had that with the axe as well.

splitting some knotty relatively dry stuff with the hydraulics. One popped and bit me in the baby maker. That was 3 years ago and I still get nervous. I've learned to stand at a "protective" angle when splitting even if it's a little uncomfortable.

I've never had any piece of wood hit the lil Freak from splitting with an axe or maul...... lol..

Splitting wood with a maul one day and the head flew off. Smacked the round with the handle. Tense moments til I seen the head land.
Worst one was, I was splitting a large locust log for posts. Gave everything I had and caught the far side of the wedge. I was straddling the log and the wedge drilled me right in the side of my knee. Took an instant seat while dealing with the pain. Hurt as bad as when I had my fingers cut up in a slab saw. Hurt so bad I couldn't even throw a temper tantrum. Left about a 2mm plus sign on my knee but never broke the skin. Thank you for all your support!:hmm3grin2orange:

Its hard to tell from the pic,but that is 1/2 of a 4 inch grind wheel from a high speed die grinder.It is firmly implanted in 3/4 plywood in the ceiling of my shop.I was cutting a 5/16 bolt in half when the rock exploded and went in multiple directions.

Its hard to tell from the pic,but that is 1/2 of a 4 inch grind wheel from a high speed die grinder.It is firmly implanted in 3/4 plywood in the ceiling of my shop.I was cutting a 5/16 bolt in half when the rock exploded and went in multiple directions.

259882d1351526896-rock-jpg

I've seen that happen with a 7 1/2 inch grinding disc on a big Makita once.... it grenaded and there was nothing left to find but a few pieces of dust hanging in the air .... and metal chop saw blades are always to be watched as well ....

Latest posts

Back