AM Steel Blue 1/2" for a Bull Rope?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

James Retzlaff

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I've been working towards doing monster removals for my company (bigger than 6 foot stumps). I've been told to put together a wish list of personal large removal gear. One Item I was thinking about was switching over from stable braid rigging rope (slings and bull rope) to AM Steel Blue because of WLL is larger. The company has a Grappel truck and a ASV R100 so big logs are relativly easy to move. Has any one tried using AM Steel Blue for rigging or is it more just a rope winch replacement tool?

Any thoughts on a wish list would be great also.

Don't use it as a bull rope.

Amsteel is fabulous strong rope, but it has a low melting point, and a high price tag. Great for slow moving winch lines, superb for ocean liner tow ropes, but it will suffer friction heat damage every time you drop a log with it.

Dyneema ("active ingredient") has a melting point of "around 144 to 152 degrees Celsius, and, according to DSM, it is not advisable to use UHMWPE fibers at temperatures exceeding 80 to 100 °C for long periods of time." [quote from wikipedia]

150° C is only 302°F, so that really isn't too hot. MUCH lower melting point than other popular fibers

So if you choose to burn an amsteel rope, it will be easy to do. Amsteel slings would probably work great. It is especially easy to splice your own, so you could make eye splices, attach heavy steel rings for chains, all kinds of things.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back