Amish loggers

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ash man

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
This is the woods I've hunted in the last ten years. An Amish crew can in with a portable sawmill and pretty much clear cutted the place instead of just taking the mature like they told the 80 year old widow they took advantage of. Not much left but kindling. IMG_20131126_155611_700.jpg

I live right in Amish country in northwestern pa. There are a lot of Amish construction outfits and Amish loggers here . I've seen this type of thing before but I've also seen many "English "logging crews do the exact same thing even more so actually . I have Amish help me do chores around my property sometimes .based on my experiences around them in my opinion there are good and bad in their sects just like anybody else has good guys and then there's crooks doesn't matter weather your Amish Mennonite yellow white red or black

A big X2 for what flotec said. A person who grieves at such (like me) must also realize that the land owners control what gets cut (outside of situations like above) and around these parts a whole lot of the newer owners and inheritors are more like land rapists than the keepers they ought to be. The Amish crew that just cut my place just finished a job where they were told to cut anything of value no matter how few $ it was. Since they are also in the firewood business the woods looks like the one in the picture. Different logger right across the road from my place just took out 5 tractor trailer loads of cottonwood at the owners request and destroyed a forest in getting it all out. All for a measly 10 cents a foot or enough money to make a couple house payments for the non-working owner. Pure stupidity.

Some years back a logger took advantage of a older guy and a buddy of his found out and ask a group of us what he should do. The owner didnt know any thing and thought it was ok and died thinking the same. I think it was right not telling the old guy but the logger needed beating. I live around amish and some are my friends but they belive that the earth is theirs to do with what they want.

In our little township this has happened twice and in both cases it was elderly people that couldn't even go out to their woods to check up on the progress. With this particular outfit they were making blocking and wood for pallets and cut everything they could make a 1x4 out of. I'm sure it happens a lot but this case really hit home for me.

What's wrong with the logging in the picture? It looks like a small patch cut. It looks like they didn't disturb the ground much--I'm not seeing any ruts. In fact, it looks fairly undisturbed--soil wise and that's a good thing. Logging always looks messy until the brush grows back. The slash will work like a mulch. We don't know for sure what the prescription was, what the future objective is, or if it is even finished. We have no contract to look at.

I've been on the other end a few times, with accusations flying about from lay people. So, I don't want to make assumptions
about logging jobs if I don't have all the information.

You could have posted this in the Forestry and Logging section and gotten some expert feedback.

What's the big deal about the loggers being Amish? Good logging is good logging, same with bad logging.
I don't see how a religious preference enters into it and I don't think it's appropriate for this forum. Or anywhere else either.

It sounds like your main concern is the loss of your hunting grounds.

Another learning moment, when you "take the big trees" a lot of small trees end up getting smashed if it is a doghair (thick) stand of trees, which it looks like it might have been. Add more smashing during skidding--there's more to logging than just falling trees. Then you have to have room for a truck and swing room for the loader, even if it is truck mounted. You may even need to clear a place out for that truck to turn around. Or if not hot loading, you may need room for sorting and decking. It gets complicated.

If nothing was left "but kindling" they did a good job as far as utilization goes.

I'll bet the deer will like munching on the new brush and seedlings that will grow in if some farmer :laugh: doesn't turn it into more pasture or another corn field.

Let me be clearer. I know the woman who owns this property quite well. She called me first to get my thoughts on having her woods logged out, and being a lay person I told her its a good idea if they take the big mature trees only. I suggested she get some quotes and have them mark the trees they plan on harvesting. That is what she was suppose to have gotten. They were only suppose to take the mature trees. If the picture isn't clear enough I'll say it again. They took down every tree they could make a 1x4 out of for pallets. The larger trees you see in the picture are not on her property. I know it not clear cut, but its pretty darn close.

Living where we live.......Ive seen this first hand myself . I totally understand the frustration .

My post had nothing to do about religion or bashing Amish. I mentioned they were Amish because they brought in a portable sawmill which I have only noticed the Amish doing in this part of the state. I used to work for a Mennonite BRI k Mason and I've rented from a really great Mennonite fellow. I'm not worried about the hunting, should be able to see the deer easier.

a lot of the time around here it is a timber pimp buying the timber and selling to the amish they are the one that is usually shady they write the contract. As far as taking trees from another property there isn't a timber company out there that hasn't been accused of it.I have watched neighbors move our ribbons and that was already with a 25 foot buffer
There would have been a contract that states what is supposed to be cut check and see what it says is to be cut, if they didn't follow it go after them

Another learning moment, when you "take the big trees" a lot of small trees end up getting smashed if it is a doghair (thick) stand of trees, which it looks like it might have been. Add more smashing during skidding--there's more to logging than just falling trees. Then you have to have room for a truck and swing room for the loader, even if it is truck mounted. You may even need to clear a place out for that truck to turn around. Or if not hot loading, you may need room for sorting and decking. It gets complicated.

If nothing was left "but kindling" they did a good job as far as utilization goes.

I'll bet the deer will like munching on the new brush and seedlings that will grow in if some farmer :laugh: doesn't turn it into more pasture or another corn field.
probably was a pasture or corn field 150 yrs ago.thats why there is no old growth timber in the east.i'm a hunter,farmer and wood person whether pulpwood, firewood or lumber.takin care of the land is priorty 1.as far as the OP worried about losing a hunting spot i'm sure if he is a good hunter he knows it will only get better.

There's going to be some beautiful new growth there. Maybe some nice oaks will take hold in between the branches where deer can't get at them.
Also nice newly created habitat for mice, salamanders etc., birds etc.

Of course the deer will enjoy it too.

I didn't read the whole thread but I know around here there is alot of amish logging crews. Nobody can compete with there prices because they dont have to pay workers comp. Most of the saw mills just sub out there logging to the amish guys.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

As a landowner, this hs been my experience with loggers of all types. I flagged trees I did not want to go, but they took them anyway. Then paid me and dared me to take action. Neither me nor any neighbor has had a good experience with logging outfits in the south east here. Now i uused to cruze for timber myself on BLM, and nnowadays drill for a living. I'm not anti-logging, just seems like allot of them are greedy SOBs.

Latest posts

Back