Amish loggers

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My post had nothing to do about religion or bashing Amish.

That's not how it read. Just look at the thread title.

A clear cut area might not be a nice sight - but I don't see any ruts or big mess left behind there either. There's been logging going on behind our place here for the past 4 months, 24/7. All leaving in chips. I haven't gone back to check it out because I know how ugly it will be - I think I'll do that this weekend & compare.

As far as cutting more than they were supposed to - I hope there was a contract of some kind?

Nobody is bashing anyone...I know this for a fact . I think some of you guys would have to live where we live to understand what is being talked about . Its very frustrating to see the land get raped and disrespected.......no mater who it is ...or where it is . I hate to see things that end up being ALL about the money . Sometimes its nice to see someone who is working to feed there family , but also willing to take care of the property they are working on to insure a nice healthy forest , and a tract that can be select cut again in the years to come....and not have to wait decades to be able to cut anything of any size out again . Although like I said before , when forests get burned , or over logged......they always come back better with more diverse plants and trees . I remember waaaaay back when , the property which I now own started on fire and burned half of it down to the ground . You talk about lush thick forest once it started growing back !!! A few years goes by ... and I have deer bedding in there , grouse flying out , and rabbits all over . Now fast forward 20 years . Its all a nice maple/ash forest that is opening up just fine . BUT......all those critters are gone now , nowhere to hide !

It's called checking references. You don't hire a logger without doing some research. Around here, there has been so much competition that good, easy to work with loggers are fairly easy to find with a little bit of research.

Flagging cut trees isn't the best way. If loggers are so devious, they'll move the flagging. Paint works better, and paint the butt of the tree below the stump cut level. Maybe do a super secret mark of some kind. Walk the area after the loggers go home, or show up during operations. Talk with them. Maybe they'll point out a tree that needs to come out that you didn't figure on cutting. Or mention that they need more room for equipment. You can point out the tree that Uncle Roy planted and named and you don't want damaged or cut. In fact, walk the area with the logger BEFORE operations start.

If you feed the crew cookies and other goodies, they'll often try to do a really good job. Most of the crews around here take pride in their work, and have come to the realization that what they leave is what people will see and judge them by.

A contract is a way to back up what you want and what they agree to do. Oh, you might want to consult with a ....Forester. I believe that many counties back east have a county forester. Out here, our state DNR can help. Read up, and educate yourselves.
stringing out haywire0001.JPG

Look at the picture. What do you see? See that straight opening? Here's what it takes. The unit was already marked for what to cut. The logger flagged in those corridors (where the logs will be skidded) and then it was part of my job to go up and down each one and mark the additional trees to be cut so the skyline could be run through it. It is easiest to do that before falling starts. Then the fallers moved in and sometimes I'd get a phone call mentioning that I'd missed a tree, or they hung one up and out I'd go with my paint gun to approve and write it up. We all had to work together and these guys were great to work with and I've given them good references. They're stringing out what is called haywire in the photo. It gets hooked up to the bigger and heavier skyline and pulls the line into place.

Thinning prep wet day0007.JPG

Here they went ahead and flagged trees they needed to use for a lift tree. I painted them so they could drop the tree afterwards, legally if they needed to do so. We agreed to leave the tree on the ground because after the logging, another contract would be let out to drop a couple trees per acre to leave as wildlife logs.

Things can be complicated.

Last edited:
Good info slowp. If it was my woods I would have definitely done something close to your advice, but the woods just belongs to a friend of mine that didn't listen to peoples advice. She owns @100 acres 30 of them being wooded so its not quite the same as your cool pic. The whole 30 acres of woods she owns looks like the pic I posted. I haven't seen the contract I'm just going by what she told me that they were only suppose to take the big trees. I'm with an earlier post that thinks she had a slick lumber broker that then sold it to the loggers. Its kind of a sore topic with the land owner, but I will ask her to read the contract and report back.

Just a different viewpoint here, but clearcutting does wonders for grouse. So, if the lot is in grouse territory and they clear cut thats is the best thing for them. For future woodstocks it is not so good. All is not lost. In the northen woods they clearcut all of the time and they still have plenty of wood. Just depends on your perspective, I guess.

Now, if you tell them not to clearcut and they do, I sure you hope you had it in wirting prior to them making any cuts. Always, always, always get it in writing. Ouch.

A picture after yarding in the same general area. The intent was to thin the stand out by cutting the weaker trees and leaving the healthiest which would respond and pour on the growth.
Apres yarding0001.JPG

A five acre (our hardwood) clearcut after skidding was completed. The alder was cut and Doug-fir planted after we did some site prep--lopping vine maple and some of the thicker slash. Part was shovel logged and part was skidded with a small cat. This land is partially owned and managed by a 60 year old woman who was out lopping up the vine maple and burning some of the slash. She then enlisted the help of family and me (we are above 50 years in age) and we planted it.
Slashing Vine Maple 0001.JPG

Last edited:
Its always nice to do something that keeps you in shape , and that you like to do !!

twisters.JPG The weather was turning, big trees to rig on were scarce, I think something was broke down so the hooktender had everybody down to learn the art of using twisters, which are used to add strength to a small stump. Twisters have also been known to break jaws.

Looks like this thread went from bad to better while I was arguing chippers with the tree guys. "Get it in writing" and understand what's in that writing seems to be a good lesson to take from this one.

Plus, Patty's got some cool pics.

GEDC1721.JPG1/3 of the over the hill tree planting crew.

GEDC1720.JPG
Another crew member.

GEDC1725.JPG
The Used Dog inspects my work. Tree planting is one of the few jobs that is easier to do on steep ground. The tool I use is a hoedad. Pull up on the tree, if it comes out easily, it isn't planted correctly.

Latest posts

Back