And, It Begins-- My Official Scrap 562XP Rebuild Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just got done checking squish with the new piston and cylinder to know for the future if I'll be running without a base gasket. I'm getting exactly .5mm which converts to .0196 (.020). I've heard the magic number on these saws is .018. Anyone have any insight on that?

I won't be decking the cylinder, so I plan on making sure that there is not interference between the cylinder skirt and the crankcase. If it all checks good, I'll go with the base gasket delete and use Yamabond 4 to seal it up. Any objections?

And, they are apart. That splitter worked slick......just used the map gas torch to warm up the case around the bearing without focusing heat in any one place (constantly moving the torch) until it was all nicely heated, and not hot. Spun the bolt down and pop! It came right apart.

IMG_20180326_110432.jpg IMG_20180326_110437.jpg IMG_20180326_110441.jpg IMG_20180326_110451.jpg

Well, I think I'm going to have to put crank bearings in this thing. The bearings are nice and tight and probably would have been good, if there wasn't a tiny spot of rust or something on one of the balls. When you rotate the bearing about 10-15 times, it will eventually work that little spot into the right position and cause a hiccup in the rotation.

You know what they say about "opening a can of worms"....it looks like the more I dig, the more worms I find. Good news is--there's nothing else to take apart.

I outlined the affected area with blue lines. It doesn't show well in the photo, but looks like mild pitting where water sat maybe.

That PTO side bearing may have been good, or it may have **** itself and failed. We'll never know, because I aim to replace it now.

IMG_20180326_123027.jpg

I created a little surprise poll. Waiting for parts, so I am deciding to powder coat or paint the cases. Couldn't figure out how to add it to the original post, so I created a new thread. Link below:

Poll here:

Well, I think I'm going to have to put crank bearings in this thing. The bearings are nice and tight and probably would have been good, if there wasn't a tiny spot of rust or something on one of the balls. When you rotate the bearing about 10-15 times, it will eventually work that little spot into the right position and cause a hiccup in the rotation.

You know what they say about "opening a can of worms"....it looks like the more I dig, the more worms I find. Good news is--there's nothing else to take apart.

I outlined the affected area with blue lines. It doesn't show well in the photo, but looks like mild pitting where water sat maybe.

That PTO side bearing may have been good, or it may have **** itself and failed. We'll never know, because I aim to replace it now.

View attachment 642232

Can you tell me please what's the bearing series of this saw? I saw something in a picture like: "...023 EC".

Congrats for this thread! Amazing to watch! :rock:

Can you tell me please what's the bearing series of this saw? I saw something in a picture like: "...023 EC".

Congrats for this thread! Amazing to watch! :rock:

Sure. This is an SKF bearing BB1-3023 EC (18 048J) on the PTO side. The flywheel is different, but I can't read it right now. Still haven't pulled that out of the other case. The flywheel side is in great condition and I was trying to decide if I would replace one or both.

Its a shame about the pitting, as even the PTO side is very tight slop wise, so I would definitely have used the bearing if not for the corrosion stuff.

Thanks for the kind words. I hope to get more done this week and post up more pics.

Cheers,

After looking over the bearings and crank again, I noticed the corrosion and pitting that I mentioned on the ball bearings of the crank bearing, have a similar corrosion as what is one the PTO side of the crankshaft. Circled in the pic below.....

IMG_20180326_103439.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20180326_103439.jpg
    IMG_20180326_103439.jpg
    893.9 KB · Views: 10
Alright guys, looking for a little help locating the crankcase gasket for the 5-bolt cases. The sites I'm looking at are all for the 6-bolt cases (updated version).

If I'm not able to find one soon, I guess I'll be trying to get the gasket material to make it. In either case, the 5-bolt case is a known leaker, so I'll be sealing the gasket with Yamabond 4 to assist in keeping the bar oil in.

Cheers, :cheers:

I used to work at a husqvarna dealer when these strato-engines were introduced and have seen a few 560xp with a seized piston like yours.
I think it's from a badly designed leaking intake. I would pressure test that saw when it's done, and be sure to wiggle the intake to find possible leaks.

I used to work at a husqvarna dealer when these strato-engines were introduced and have seen a few 560xp with a seized piston like yours.
I think it's from a badly designed leaking intake. I would pressure test that saw when it's done, and be sure to wiggle the intake to find possible leaks.

Thanks for the info. I will definitely be doing a pressure and vacuum test when the saw is assembled. The actual intake I will be running is not original to the saw. I took a good intake from a running saw, so I am hoping that it will be good on this saw. I will be checking this saw for every possible leak that can be found.

It will basically be a new saw except the crank, cases and plastic bits. New bearings, new seals, new piston, new cylinder, new muffler, new gaskets and new carb.

Got a box of parts today from Chainsawr.com. They were able to ship overseas and very quickly.

The only question I have that maybe some more experienced Husqvarna Strato engine guys can give feedback on is the EL46 versus EL48 carbs. I ordered a new OEM Husky EL48 (part# 5791941-07) from Chainsawr. At unboxing, I noticed the EL48 I received appears lower quality than its predecessors. Putting the El46 and El48 side-by-side, the EL 46 is a much better quality wise looking carb than the 48 I received.

So, here is what I've noticed so far:
All of the hardware is corroded out of the box, including the aluminum ports.
Made in China engraved in the surface right where I need to get a good air seal.
The strato ports are much smaller on the EL48. This is a problem for me, as I have the manifold for the larger ports. (see attached pic)
Also the main inlet and butterfly are much smaller on the EL48.

So, I guess what my main curiosity is, is whether I need to or if I can, swap parts between the El46 and El48. I've read that the electronics are supposed to be swapped when using the EL44. Does that apply to the El48. I believe it was about the coil working with the carb module?

Any help or suggestions is welcomed. Let me know where I need to go with this thing..... If it weren't for the box, I'd swear this was a knockoff or a clone part like a Hutzl, not an OEM Husqvarna part. I've emailed Chainsawr to see what their suggestions are.

Side-by-side view of the carbs (EL48 left). Notice the El46 (right) has machined surfaces, whereas the El48 has rough surfaces from the mold.
IMG_20180405_134017_HDR.jpg IMG_20180405_135901_HDR.jpg

IMG_20180405_145110_HDR.jpg

The carb has quite a bit of that white salt looking stuff leaching out of it, especially on the inside.
IMG_20180405_145225_HDR.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20180405_145114_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20180405_145114_HDR.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 10
Finished the exhaust today...my version of the buckshot, double barrel, etc., etc.

Outlet pipes are SS tubing from aircraft hydraulic lines 12mm OD. Drilled the ID out and mitered the inlet to 45 degrees to allow free flow. Decided to braze these on instead of welding. Being dissimilar metals and different thicknesses, I thought I'd probably have a lot of problems with burn through on the muffler side.

The back was as before in previous posts, but I mig welded and brazed it to seal any voids and to make it air tight.

IMG_20180406_182153_HDR.jpg IMG_20180406_182156_HDR.jpg IMG_20180406_182215_HDR.jpg IMG_20180406_183740_HDR.jpg

Update on the carb: I was sent a 550Xp carb in an EL48 box. The blue diaphragm gave it away... @HarleyT figured out that is was a Walbro carb, whereas the 562XP carbs are from Zama. No way to make it work on my saw that I know of.

As far as the apparent water damage goes, they were good on it and offered replacement without me having to ship it back to the US....phewwww!

Latest posts

Back