And, It Begins-- My Official Scrap 562XP Rebuild Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Actually, yes. Got the gasket set in the mail and the crank bearings pressed on. Just waiting for a package to arrive so I can start powdering the cases before reassembly.

Cheers,
Dan

And trying to get the paint off of the cases and the chain cover. Anyone got any tricks? This stuff is pretty tough.
try some rubbing alcohol (stronger the better) and a scrubbing brush, try it on a small area first

Alright folks, time for some updates. Worked on the saw quite a bit yesterday and today.

Decide to go with black for the case color. Three coats of epoxy primer and three coats of marine outboard engine paint. IMG_20180406_183740_HDR.jpg IMG_20180501_101048.jpg IMG_20180501_101052.jpg

We got a saw folks....well, darned near. Missing a few pieces. Need carb screws, handle, left rear A/V mount (that's why the vacuum tube is under it) and felling spikes (dogs). Not bad for a scrap pile build.

Should have new parts tomorrow or Saturday. After that I'll get the carb squared up with Husqvarna...it's new so it came without firmware.

IMG_20180501_190755.jpg IMG_20180501_191746.jpg

Nice work!!! I'll be interested to hear how that muffler sounds. In my opinion, 562's have a beastly Maserati tone when you open them up. :cool:

I'm thinking of swapping my el46 out for an el48. Out of the blue recently, with some nice 40' sticks waiting to be bucked in front of me on the hill, I couldn't start my 2013 562xp (fortunately my Makita was willing to pinch hit, albeit at a much slower pace).

562 had decent spark, pulled muffler and piston is perfect, seemed to be struggling for fuel so after fiddling with it for a couple more days I took it into the shop - they called me a week later and said it fired for them after 3 pulls and the software diag came back all fine :rolleyes:

I'm interested to see how you will get your el48 software running .... :popcorn2:

Nice work!!! I'll be interested to hear how that muffler sounds. In my opinion, 562's have a beastly Maserati tone when you open them up. :cool:

I'm thinking of swapping my el46 out for an el48. Out of the blue recently, with some nice 40' sticks waiting to be bucked in front of me on the hill, I couldn't start my 2013 562xp (fortunately my Makita was willing to pinch hit, albeit at a much slower pace).

562 had decent spark, pulled muffler and piston is perfect, seemed to be struggling for fuel so after fiddling with it for a couple more days I took it into the shop - they called me a week later and said it fired for them after 3 pulls and the software diag came back all fine :rolleyes:

I'm interested to see how you will get your el48 software running .... :popcorn2:

Mine is running now, but I've been waiting for a handle to arrive. I haven't really done anything but let it heat cycle until I get the handle and the AV system is complete. It's a slow package, but we aren't cutting too much these days due to fire danger, so I'm willing to wait.

To me, I didn't know the history of why my saw failed, but I didn't even bother putting the EL46 back on it. All of the readings from my EL46 were also fine. The only thing I knew about the saw was that the piston had frozen up, which was possibly due to an airleak or even straight gassing.

I ordered my EL48 from Chainsawr.com. I contacted them and told them my coil # and they gave me a carb that would work with my coil. The new carb comes without software, so you have to take the saw, or at least the coil and carb combo to a dealer for firmware/software loading. It takes about 5 minutes or less. My local guy did it for free.

From what I understand, the EL46 is fine unless you are experiencing bogging issues when revving from idle.

Did they show u the fuel chart and did they update firmware?

I got be honest and say that it is very difficult for me to understand everything with the Husky interface as I'm trying to translate it from Greek. I reviewed every tab and I understood that my new EL48, which was previously blank, was updated to the latest version from Husky. Since it was a new carb, there was nothing other to display, such as, starts, overtemps, etc. I will take it back again after I've ran it once or twice just to see that everything is up to par.

Very cool build taking a scrapped partially parted out saw and bring it back to life. Cool idea with the black maribe paint. What made u use marine paint? Is it supposed to be more durable? On the case it didnt seem to lay down and flow very well. Looked to have some dry spray or dusty type finish instead of a smooth flowing finish. Nice job cant waitbto see it totally done. Do you have a list of all the changes updates repairs and parts used to finish the build?

Very cool build taking a scrapped partially parted out saw and bring it back to life. Cool idea with the black maribe paint. What made u use marine paint? Is it supposed to be more durable? On the case it didnt seem to lay down and flow very well. Looked to have some dry spray or dusty type finish instead of a smooth flowing finish. Nice job cant waitbto see it totally done. Do you have a list of all the changes updates repairs and parts used to finish the build?

Yeah, there is some kind of wild spray and some of the red primer shows through. It's all in areas that don't show when the saw is assembled. I was using a new to me spray gun and a new air compressor, so I wasn't totally used to the setup. And, I had hung the pieces a little low so I couldn't reach well in one shooting all the areas.

The marine paint is supposed to be durable and adheres well on Magnesium. Plus, I was having a lot of trouble finding something durable in a decent color here.

The parts I put into this were:

The scrapped bits and pieces from the first photos.
A new OEM P&C (porting and port cleanup by yours truly and base gasket delete)
Crank seals new OEM
Crank bearings new OEM
EL48 Carb New OEM
Case gasket new OEM
Secong hand bolt set from eBay
Second hand Intake manifold
Second hand brake flag
Second hand oil pump and clutch OEM
New OEM felling spike
New OEM wrap handle
Second hand
New OEM ring gear 7-tooth 3/8
New OEM air filter

I think that's it. I don't recall anything else.

And, yes this thing has got a very definitive exhaust note, especially with the triple port MM. I'll post a vid later.

And, yes this thing has got a very definitive exhaust note, especially with the triple port MM. I'll post a vid later.

Back