Another 22 ton Huskee question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

taylor6400

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
About 2 years ago i bought a Huskee at TSC. Brought it home and checked the fluids all fine. Ran it a lot for that winter (split 2 years worth of wood) and then changed the oil in the spring for the summer break. Didnt use it much last winter and none this summer. Tonight (after the "got the itch?" thread) i start getting my wood cutting supplies together...fill saws with fresh gas get my wedges, chaps, muffs, hard head, pulp hook all gathered round for a pep talk. Then move on to the splitter. Went ahead and changed the oil since it sat for pretty much a year. Fill with gas fires up second pull. Let it idle a bit then crank her up and run a cycle (no wood) well on the auto return stroke it didnt pop the handle back to the neutral position.

So i shut her down and check the hydro fluid...LOW. Look at the fittings...the one fitting is dripping as is one of the bolts under the filter. So, whats my course here. Never really done anything with hydros. I want to drain and change fluid and fix fittings/leaks at the same time. Can someone please point me in the right direction? I dont even know how to drain it! Can i get a new filter at TSC? Thanks for any input, i appreciate it.

i start getting my wood cutting supplies together...fill saws with fresh gas get my wedges, chaps, muffs, hard head, pulp hook all gathered round for a pep talk.

Can someone please point me in the right direction?

Time for another pep talk?

:cheers:

There should be a drain plug at the bottom of the hydro tank (most splitters). Drain into a clean container and save it for reuse if it doesn't look cloudy. Yes, you can get a replacement hydraulic fluid filter at TSC, NAPA, etc.

You can get new fittings and hydraulic thread sealer at TSC, too, if you need them.

Keep the old hydro, and add too it. It never wears out and is expensive.

Give the fittings a wrap with PTFE tape and reinstall them tight.
They probably weren't properly tightened in the first place.

Filters can be had at any GOOD auto parts supplier, and even TSC if you find someone who can figure out what filter goes to the splitters they carry.

Just use the existing filter Brand and # for a cross ref. to the brand carried.

I gave mine a pep talk the other day as I rested a soda on it.
"You're gonna get an inner tube and an oil change before I beat the crap outta you..enjoy summer while ya got it Bucko!"

Stay safe!
Digeryote

I can help

Taylor 6400, Hello. This is Eric from the manufacturer. Please call me at 303-997-6136 ext 1141 and we can talk about how to get your machine running properly. Thanks. Eric

Just got my Huskee back from the repai shop. It is only two years old and mine started doing the same thing. Thank god I purchased the extended warranty. The handle hydraulics went bad and a new one had to be ordered. I understand there was a recall on some Huskee's because of this, but not sure.

Latest posts

Back