Another 441 Topic/ Modded 441

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tree Sling'r

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I did not have the time to read the "Da Prince" dissaster, but thought I would share.
As most of you know I am a timber faller in N. Calif. Anyway I ran one of my bosses 441's for a few hours the other day. And being somewhat of a small saw hater I must say I was happy with the way it performed - but he told me I would have not liked it as much is he would have left it completly stock.
Now this is from him on what he did.
He said the filter system and jug were pretty much off limits until he understood a little more about the new system.
As far as a mod job he opened up the exhaust -ported the hole on the side - the two holes in the middle of the muffler and removed the guts from the inside.
He then pulled the flywheel and advanced the timing/ ignition by filling the key or filing to get to the key. It is unlike the old style where you can rotate it.
He then took an old 440 coil - filed on two different edges of it - turned it upside down and with three small washers (so it would line up and sit straight) he bolted it on with one bolt. The way it was mounted only one bolt would work.
I don't know who all has experimented with this saw yet - but this particular saw sounds and runs pretty darn good. Obviously not having a limiter on the coil helps.
Just thought I would share - Tree Sling'r.

Are we talking the same saw?

The 441 doesn't have a limiting coil... and the muffer is just an empty can - no guts to take out...

The 441 coil has a 4 stage advance (to ease starting and recoil kick back), but it's completely unlimted above about 3K rpm.

Lakeside53 said:
Are we talking the same saw?

The 441 doesn't have a limiting coil... and the muffer is just an empty can - no guts to take out...

The 441 coil has a 4 stage advance (to ease starting and recoil kick back), but it's completely unlimted above about 3K rpm.

I had assumed the coil had some sort of limiter on it. I wonder why else he would have gone through all the hassle of putting an old one on.
I had also assumed the muffler would be baffled.
You know much more about this thing than I do - Like I said just sharing what he did (or said).

I wonder why he thinks the jug be off limits? Wouldn't bumping up the compression help just about any saw?

I believe I understand why not... To "bump the compression" you'd need to understand exactly how to port it to compensate.... The stratofied charge issues are more complex and few want to start experimenting with brand new (and expensive) P&C, unless someone will pay, no matter the outcome :)

Tree Sling'r said:
I had assumed the coil had some sort of limiter on it. I wonder why else he would have gone through all the hassle of putting an old one on.

Maybe he assumed that the new one would be limited? So he actually did a modfication that wasn't necessary? :confused:

I dunno - just speculating here.

Considering the things he 'fixed' that weren't broken...it would have been nice to run the saw before it's improvements.

Where does the placebo stop and the benefit begin?!?!

How does it compare to a 440/460 to you?

Chaser

wagonwheeler said:
Considering the things he 'fixed' that weren't broken...it would have been nice to run the saw before it's improvements.

Where does the placebo stop and the benefit begin?!?!

How does it compare to a 440/460 to you?

Chaser
He ran the saw for two weeks before messing with it. Just a side note: we make our living with these saws - he knows the diff. between what was and what it now is.
As far as not messing with the jug - have you looked at one? I have not but have heard it is a very different design compared to what that model saw has used in the past. Well I suppose like the entire saw. It is very diff.
BTW I like my modded 460 better - The one I hardly use.
Take Care - Tree Sling'r.

Lakeside53 said:
Maybe it's a Husky 575 with a stihl cover - that saw has a rev limiter..:biggrinbounce2: :biggrinbounce2:

I told him about the coil this morning and he was surprised. He said he could not get the saw to rev up like he wanted.
He, like myself and everyone else on our crew run our modded saws in the 14-s. Maybe that is what he was after - who knows.

Lakeside53 said:
Oh come on Chase - you know that a big hole in the muffer will make any saw cut 20db faster!:)

That was one of the first things I learned here! :hmm3grin2orange:

And MY stereo volume will go up to ELEVEN, dude! :rockn: :rockn: :rockn:

Chaser

Back